whats the legal position for computer resets - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0jtd

whats the legal position for computer resets

What is the legal position for owners to reset computers? I am led to believe you should be able to 'do it yourself'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

What makes you think you can't?

If you bought the beast, you own it and can do whatever you like with it as long as you don't infringe intellectual property rights - copyright or patents... So unless you're physically dismantling it to reverse engineer it, or hacking the code so that you can modify it and sell it, then you can do what you wants.

Of course if you dismantle or modify anything you would invaliate any warranty on that item (and possibly related items). If you just want to re-set a service or MCF type light, then if you have the equipment for it, no problems for you to do it yourself.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
What makes you think you can't?

If you bought the beast, you own it and can do whatever you like with it as long as you don't infringe intellectual property rights - copyright or patents... So unless you're physically dismantling it to reverse engineer it, or hacking the code so that you can modify it and sell it, then you can do what you wants.

Of course if you dismantle or modify anything you would invaliate any warranty on that item (and possibly related items). If you just want to re-set a service or MCF type light, then if you have the equipment for it, no problems for you to do it yourself.

Ralf S.
If by resetting the computer you mean resetting the electronic odometer to read 00 km or 00 miles then I do believe this is illegal whether you own the car or not.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 17-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0jtd

No I mean being able to reset the service interval lights and the like particularly the 'change engine oil' light. Everywhere I've been says it has to be done using a specific Alfa machine [computer/software] but I understood anyone should be able to this sort of thing quite simply like on my old 156 which involved pressing a few buttons and holding them down for a few seconds.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

The tool you use is an OBD II Scanner, and it's not specific to Alfa -all new cars sold in the EU must support this protocol. OBD stands for 'on-board diagnostics', btw. You can get wireless units that plug into the car and are controlled by a smartphone app that interprets the various codes into a more human-readable form.

Most mechanics will have one these days.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs178 View Post
If by resetting the computer you mean resetting the electronic odometer to read 00 km or 00 miles then I do believe this is illegal whether you own the car or not.
Not quite. It's only an offence if you reduce the displayed vehicle mileage with the intention of mis-representing the true mileage. The offence occurs when you advertise that the vehicle mileage is the displayed mileage, rather than the true mileage. That's why dealers have a mileage disclaimer sticker on the odometer.

Just changing the mileage because you feel like it, isn't an offence.

Ralf S.
Bent Propeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Not quite. It's only an offence if you reduce the displayed vehicle mileage with the intention of mis-representing the true mileage. The offence occurs when you advertise that the vehicle mileage is the displayed mileage, rather than the true mileage. That's why dealers have a mileage disclaimer sticker on the odometer.

Just changing the mileage because you feel like it, isn't an offence.

Ralf S.
Learn something new everyday.......... An abused loop hole to say the least but indeed very interesting.

Cheers Ralf

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
computer , legal , position , resets

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page