Now I know the truth. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Now I know the truth.

Folks,

I avoided Alfas for 40 years, by reputation.

On my decent pension I can now afford the possible repairs. The 147 TS Lusso is a dream. Light, accurate, steering. Light clutch, smooth gearbox, TS engine revs lovely above 4000 rpm. The chassis is stable and tight in the twisties. Plenty of feedback from the road.

The car shows all the signs of a thoroughbred driver's car. Makes a Golf feel like a jelly. Why are so many people scared of Alfas? It's like some sort of conspiracy.

Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Durty dog

I presume its the reputation from the 80's, rust and just general poor reliability. Alfas reputation is better thanks to the current two models available.

(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Well Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR dog View Post
I presume its the reputation from the 80's, rust and just general poor reliability. Alfas reputation is better thanks to the current two models available.
CSR,

Yes, it goes back a long way. It was almost everyone I talked to, including garage mechanics. I had a test drive in a secondhand 145 some years back and it was not well planted on the road, a bit wobbly on the bends even. Felt a bit 'upright'.

I was quite surprised when the 156 turned up in some fleets, but a good sign. Then noticing quite a few high mileage 156 and 147s in the sale ads was another good sign. If cars can still sell at 100k plus that puts them in there with the Golfs and such. The Alfas still seem cheaper as secondhand buys, but at least there is a market for them.

Another danger area was expensive dealership repairs, but reading this forum and finding two good local independents finally settled it for me.

I've owned many interesting cars over the years, but always avoided Alfa, despite the good looks. But, as Clarkson says, "Any petrolhead has to have owned an Alfa at some point."

Now that's me.

Alex.
Durty dog

Cooler,

Dealerships or alfa uk haven't helped matters, if it wasn't for the independents i wouldn't have an alfa. If i talk to older blokes and the topic of cars come up the first thing they always say is "rust buckets"

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooler View Post
Folks,

I avoided Alfas for 40 years, by reputation.

Why are so many people scared of Alfas?
I think you answered your own question

And it's a reputation peddled more often than not by those who have never owned one but think they're qualified to comment. They're not perfect but few cars are. I wouldn't be too fussed what anyone else thinks. Whether you have a good Alfa experience or a bad Alfa experience, it's your Alfa experience. And no two experiences are alike...which is probably just as true of many other cars, not just Alfas.

Enjoy your 147

The 147 owes some of its agility to light weight but this limited the Euro NCAP crash performance to 3 stars when it was tested in 2001.

The 1998 Golf scored 4 stars and the 2004 model was up to 5 stars.

Mechanical reliability is generally fine on the 147 - electrics less so, but the Golf is no paragon either. There again there are many more Golfs around to make complaints.

On one occasion when my 159 was in waiting for warranty parts they gave me a nearly new 147 Collezione as courtesy car. On the 2nd day, miles from home, on a remote road and late in the evening, it failed to start and came home on an AA truck

Edit - it was the electrical connector to the back of the ignition switch - not an Alfa Romeo part

Last edited by 97396; 07-12-13 at 20:45.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I have had loads of small issues with my Golf, but then I have had a fair few problems with Alfa's too.

I think it is fair to say that if you get a well looked after Alfa it will be generally be reliable, however they can suffer from neglect more than on some other Marques. You need to keep on top of Cambelt and oil changes for instance, and check the oil every week as most of the petrol ones burn a small amount.

The 2.0 147 and my V5 Golf weigh about the same (the 2.0 GTi is lighter than a 2.0 147), the lower NCAP rating on the 147 is because parts of the shell design date back to the 1980's Fiat tipo.

That doesn't make it a bad car though.

Last edited by symon; 07-12-13 at 18:56.
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Hello Alex Welcome to AO, better late than never, enjoy the ride

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
truth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page