Do you own an Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 06-12-13 Thread Starter
Muz
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Do you own an Alfa

Because it was good value for money or because you are addicted?

I have moved from an Alfa on three occasions. First to a Volvo Amazon because I had a young family and needed a car that was pretty well guaranteed to start every morning having lived with a boat tail spider that refused to start in the wet! Also getting complaints about the lack of space and butterfly clips in the back digging into the kid's backs!

Came back with an Alfasud and a 164

Drifted away again to a Porsche ( which I still have)

Came back with a GTV but also had an Audi A4 Avant for practical reasons

Since then a 159 ( love it but it's been a money pit)

And also a 147

Keep being drawn back because of my love of Alfas

Anyone else left and come back a few times?
Anyone just have theirs because it's a lot of car for the money
Other reasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
The assumption is that everybody here bought their Alfa as a used car?
I could have got a lot more car for my money if I'd bought used, but there's just something about the badge and the aura of the cars.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
1. Handles better than anything in the sector at the time of buying.
2. Puts massive smile on face.
3. Only £200 more a year for nsurance than a 1.0 corsa when I started driving, no brainer.
4. Gives 55mpg when driven (very) carefully.
5. Looks nice.
(Post Link) post #4 of 38 Old 06-12-13 Thread Starter
Muz
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I could have got a lot more car for my money if I'd bought used, but there's just something about the badge and the aura of the cars.
Well all of mine have been used, but I would have bought new if I could have justified and afforded it. Wouldn't always have been an Alfa though.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I love Alfas - my first ever car was an Alfasud series 1 1.3ti. I could have bought a new 159 when I bought mine but given the chace to buy a 14 month old 159 ti with 14k on the clock for £16.5k or pay for a new one it was a no brainer.

Love them because of the syle, don't see loads on the road and the value for money when buying second hand is great. So for me it's love and great value for money compared to what you'd have to pay for an eqivalent BMW / Audi Merc etc.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

2006 GT JTDm

bought my 147 cos i felt i had to tick the Alfa box of cars owned. wasn't too sure about having a little hatchback after having had larger saloons for years but had it about 9 months now and i love it, great little car ...although i do now wish i'd got a 2.0
1st Alfa but sure will not be the last.
Durty dog

Addicted and always will be.

crazycarb

Design does it for me on the 916 series...Now own 3..... 2 X 2.0ts spiders & 1 GTVv6.
We haven't drawn out the idea of number 4, but there is a Porsche 944 thats got to fill the gap 1st.

MX5's? = ok if you are a "roy cropper lookalike" and like reliability.
MGF's?= ok if you have a limited budget of 60 quid to spend on a car.
Alfa's= sex, drugs, alcohol, rock n'roll, heaven, utopia, and a car that everybody wants to look at!

Spacecadet

I've owned a string of Alfa's.

They are no more expensive to run than any other brand, but they are just more engaging.

I've had 1 Audi, 3 Fords, 2 Fiats, 1 Peugeot and 4 Alfas in my 17 years of car ownership. The Alfa's have been the most fun and the most reliable.

I also enjoy being told my car is due to break down, and then finding the speaker suffers more issues than I do.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

There's just something about Alfa's that has kept me buying again. It started when I got a Sud Sprint to replace my first car, a Mk1 Scirocco. After the Sud I deserted and ran an MG Midget for the best part of 10 years. When my son was about 2 years old I decided I needed a more sensible car, so my thoughts went back to Alfa with a 145 Cloverleaf. It's been Alfa all the way since with a 156 2.0TS, then a 156 2.0 JTS followed by my current GT 3.2 V6 which is a really special car.

I can't imagine looking at any other make (unless a lottery win turns up).......
crazycarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
There's just something about Alfa's that has kept me buying again.
I can't imagine looking at any other make (unless a lottery win turns up).......
Then it'll be an 8c to pis* us all off?

AO Member

County: Newport

Member car:

147 GTA

Think you get a lot bang for your bucks with alfa.
Great handling, good amount of power and fantastic looks all for a great price
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
This is the first Alfa I have owned. Bought it for the superb looks, strong and sporty diesel (if that's not a contradiction in terms ), space and good equipment levels and it seemed I got a lot of car for my money! Lots of positive comments from some of my neighbours, except the audi owner...dunno why. Love the comment from the old man up the road who said "everytime I walk past your car I covet it!" - made my day . Spent a lot on it in the first six months, but now its running pretty well. I hope to run this for a good few years yet before replacing it. So far, I'd definitely consider another Alfa, and who knows, maybe Alfa will have brought out a Giulia by then...or finally folded!
AO Silver Member

I repaired Alfa Romeos back in the early 80's, they had the longest post repair test drives of anything, but alas I could not afford to buy. Then after years of living in denial, I nearly sucumbed back in 2001 but was 'advised' not to by an EX FRIEND!! Finally gave in to my heart years too late in 2009. I'm sure now I'm smitten, lets hope the brand does not let me down, and produces more cars to delight me.
AO Member

County: Glasgow

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Super

Head and heart I suppose.

I'd always judged them myself rather than what other people said. Wanted one for ages and eventually bought my first new - 159 SW which was great. Mixture of looks/style, ride, handling, comfort, space and that 'X' factor that put a smile on your face. I also liked (as with any Alfa) the feeling that you're in something special, that you haven't followed the herd or are in some bland dull box that you'd probably spend ages finding in a car park. Did quite a lot of 'unnecessary trips'!

When I was forced to sacrifice the 159 for our house (financial reasons) and knew I had a budget of just 4k - I didn't hesitate to look for another Alfa. For that money, there was a lot of dross on the used market, especially non-descript Kia's/Toyota's etc. I plumped for my 10 year old 166 with just 34,000 on the clock, fully loaded, immaculate service record, great condition and spare set of alloys with tyres for under 4 grand! Seriously, what 30k car would you get otherwise for that money? Had a lot of nice comments about it and it's only needed a couple of repairs which you'd expect for a car of its age.

And best of all, it's a V6 Busso

"Open your mouth only if what you're going to say is more beautiful than silence"
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

166 is a beautiful, and underrated, car... and the V6 That has "Future Classic" written all over it.

I bought a 147, new, in 2002 after a friend insisted I try it - a friend of his had bought one. It wasn't on my list of cars, and if anything the styling put me off a bit, having only seen photos.

One test-drive is all it took to convince me. I was coming from a dreadfully built Mercedes, so I had no illusions about "brand reputation", but the car never let me down in any way. Five years later, I replaced it with another 147 as there really wasn't anything that offered as much enjoyment for the same kind of money..

So far, my eleven years of Alfa ownership has been no real problems but lots of smiles. As it happens, that first 147 is still on the road, going strong: I walked past it, parked on the street, on Wednesday - and yes, I did take a couple of pictures for old times' sake.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Decided to purchase the Alfa because they look distinctive without being ostentatious. They drive even better IMO. They really do have the ooOOoo factor over their rivals.

After 7 years ownership the only real problem outside the norm is it has a fetish for lightbulbs.
AO Member

County: Bucuresti
My MiTo is my first Alfa and was bought based on my heart.
I initially was looking for a more practical car , leaning towards an MPV.
As I always had a passion for Italian cars I decided to go to the showroom and test drive the Fiat 500L. In the AutoItalia showroom they also had a MiTo , the moment I saw it I said **** it time to become a proper petrol head. Made a down-payment on the car on the spot and picked it up a week later.
To be honest the decision was helped by the fact that the dealer had a special offer on their MiTo's for Black Friday and the fact that I really wanted a MultiAir engine. I got 25% of the car price and as a gift a complete set of winter tires.
Ended up paying 12.060 Euro on a 1.4 MultiAir 105HP Progression with extra lumbar support , sport alloy wheels and a sport steering wheel . Went for the Bianco Spino color.
AO Member

County: -
I'm collecting my 50th Alfa tomorrow. I mostly buy them because they are good value but I've noticed that I'm looking at alternative marques less and less these days.
AO Member

County: Fife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cousins View Post
I'm collecting my 50th Alfa tomorrow.

Blimey, can you list them all?
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
my 159 has annoyed and depressed me in equal measure on a regular basis over the last few years, but i've now had a company passat for all of 5 days which has suddenly found me having a huge love affair with the alfa again. the 159's my second alfa, and i reckon i'm a lot more addicted than i thought
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Styling and noise (except the GT, that sounds like a spanner bag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I think this applies to Italian cars generally. I feel similarly about old American cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarb View Post

MX5's? = ok if you are a "roy cropper lookalike" and like reliability.
I currently (wearing it today) have a grey Regatta coat, all I need is a shopping bag (and MX5 it seems) and being a Manc I can be Roy Cropper

Anyway on topic.
I had looked at owning an Alfa/Italian car for sometime, they had always stood out for me even before I took a shine to Italian cars. Nearly bought a two years old Lancia Beta Coupe many years ago but eventually talked myself out of it and bought a Manta. The Lancia was already showing rust . The Manta did have look-a-like Ferrari (five spoke) wheels

My ex missus was always put off Italian cars because of the Beta Coupe, TBH my later obsession with a certain Italian car was part the reason for a break up.

My girlfriend and I were at a car show a few years back and very much admiring a 916 Spider. I eventually bought one (what a beautiful car). This lead to my GT a year later and by then I was not going to let the Spider go.
I currently own three Italian cars and one German, all quite old and all very reliable (yeah, even the German).

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

The engine
The look
Those seats
The engine
The noise
The engine
The noise
The engine
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Only ever had Alfa since 1982 when I bought my first Sud. I've only ever owned one brand new and that was a Brera which ironically has been my least favourite Alfa experience. Stunning as a piece of sculpture but uninspiring to drive. Currently loving my 'retro' decision to buy older, the 916's suit my Alfa needs perfectly.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

GT JTDm

Been between Fiats and Alfas since 1999. Have really enjoyed all of them and liked the fact that they are different from the other cars I've driven.

Normally I manage to drive a number of hire cars each year. Everything from Vauxhall Insignias to Fiestas and whilst they are very refined and do the job well they all feel somewhat anaesthetised and divorced from the road.

My GT is probably the most 'Connected' Alfa I've owned and all the better for it. Plus I always look back on it when I park up anywhere. That has to be a good thing.

Lee Blackburn

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page