Marchionne will unveil 4th relaunch plan for Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 49 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Marchionne will unveil 4th relaunch plan for Alfa

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...#axzz2mLTOhUN8
RWD is on..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
'High end'

Yeah, right.
(Post Link) post #3 of 49 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

It fails to specify exactly how the monkeys will fly from his trunk !
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
As it says, the plans are top secret, so there is really nothing new...
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Top secret. Of course it is...you cannot expose what doesn't exist... ;-)

If in April next year we read that a) the design for the Giulia still isn't finalised and b) the US return is parked until 2018, can we accept that Alfa is just a basket case?

Right now, only one of two situations can be true here, surely:

1) Wheels are now in motion so that in April 2014 SM will unveil a Alfa plan that is a masterpiece
2) Or, there will be another Alfa-return-stalled-to-another-quarter story, reflecting that, actually, he has no firm Alfa plan, no platform, no Giulia and no hero's return story?

Of course I want it to be 1).

But I don't think that's the option any smart money will feel confident backing.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 02-12-13 at 19:33.
(Post Link) post #6 of 49 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I agree that a giulietta notch would be pretty good .
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Question.

If they did a stripped out, lightened, lowered 147ish motor, with the 1750tb and 3.2v6, absolute minimal kit, and a launch in conjunction with a race series, would you/people be tempted?
(Post Link) post #8 of 49 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Who's going to get one as a company car and make it three years old first though?
AO Gold Member

So it just confirms again that Marchionne has absolutely no idea what he's doing. And that's what all the market analysts are saying in all but name.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Anything, something, they need to get a move on or the brand will fade away and no amount of beautiful 4c's will stop it.

The idea above is a simple short term solution, vary the MiTo and Guillieta a little bit to add 2 new cars to the range even if just for the short term before the new 169, Guilia and spider come along in 25 years time

He doesn't need a new plan - he just needed to deliver on the plan he already had.

Watching the FIAT Group is a bit like watching one of those plate spinning acts - as soon as you get one going well you find one at the other end is wobbling.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Anything, something, they need to get a move on or the brand will fade away and no amount of beautiful 4c's will stop it.

The idea above is a simple short term solution, vary the MiTo and Guillieta a little bit to add 2 new cars to the range even if just for the short term before the new 169, Guilia and spider come along in 25 years time
But they can't even get the production underway properly for the 4C even now.
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
And the 4th relaunch plan will be unveiled in..... Apr/May 2014. In other words, nothing will happen for the next 5 months at Alfa...
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Marchionne, if you are just going to sit on Alfa and not do anything, give someone else a crack at it! There was a rumour about selling Alfa to Audi some time ago. Starting to sound like a pretty good idea.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Question.

If they did a stripped out, lightened, lowered 147ish motor, with the 1750tb and 3.2v6, absolute minimal kit, and a launch in conjunction with a race series, would you/people be tempted?
quite possibly, yes. If they could up the NCAP a notch structurally, that would help :-)

So too if the V6 was the Busso (unlikely).

The paucity of choice here is killing Alfa more than anything else. No matter how cobbled together they are, surely a few stop gaps would be better than nothing? As Ralf suggested, a chopped MiTo speedster or a booted Giulietta saloon gives people something to come back to, to revisit.

(Ralf's idea to rebody/reheat the Brera as the new Crossfire was a genius, genius idea )
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

His hands are tied. Once the VEBA thing is sorted he really will have to deliver.

As for the incessant articles that keep coming out, its all speculation.

If VEBA drag their heels then he doesn't have much wiggle room finance wise.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

If the Giulia is delayed so much longer and they still have all the stuff to make the 159, why not just do another model - make it slightly differant but at least they will have a stop gap
AO Member

County: -
Hard to say whether Marchionne is a Genius or Fool at this juncture. In the fullness of time we'll be able to make a better call.

But to be honest, I don't blame his delaying on models that aren't going to sell well in the marketplace. The 159 was a poor seller. Wester admitted to that. And Marchionne has admitted countless times he can't afford another model which doesn't sell.

Better to do nothing? Maybe AR under FIAT would bleed less. And that at the end of the day is the problem. Either way, there's bleeding.

The game is up Marchionne. Short of some miracle plan which is delivered on, Time to sell to VAG me thinks.
(Post Link) post #19 of 49 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

AO Member

Wester was on the money for mine re: the 159.

Opinions are fine, but at the end of the day, the bottom line doesn't lie.

The fact was it sold poorly and customers in general, went elsewhere with their wallets.

I like what Alfa has done with the 4C though. Small capacity, light weight and great handling. A return to previous Alfa brand values.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

I dont understand why the 159 sold so poorly, what was it that made people by a boring german box over it.

It looks better than anything else, still does even tho it is nearly 10 years old.

Was it too expensive? Fuel economy wasnt the best, Most saloons/estates arnt sold for perfomance other than the M3 AMG class type cars - which the 159 should have been given the chance to compete with in GTA form.
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Question.

Yes. I have actually heard a rumour along those lines (4 cyl and V6, Alfa back in racing....). The 156 was so good when it was launched I bought one brand new and I would do the same if they (ever) get the Giulia right. But there have been so many false starts it's hard to believe this is anything other than the 5th relaunch plan, which will soon be superceded by the 6th.......

Last edited by GTA_Nigel; 04-12-13 at 14:44.

PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_Nigel View Post
Yes. I have actually heard a rumour along those lines (4 cyl and V6, Alfa back in racing....). The 156 was so good when it was launched I bought one brand new and I would do the same if they (ever) get the Giulia right. But there have been so many false starts it's hard to believe this anything other than teh 5th relaunch plan, which will soon be superceded by the 6th.......
+1 on the new 156 front...

I have banged on about this before, but until they sort out the VEBA / Chrysler situation they wont be going full bore on Alfa..
AO Silver Member

County: Armed Forces Europe
I think it's pretty clear by now that Marchionne has usually other ideas in mind, than he communicates... it seems to me that if the FIAT/Chrysler merger ever gets finalized, FIAT product development first and foremost, will get the grunt of the funding, not Alfa.

And if the merger fails though, some of said funds could be obtained... by selling the Alfa Romeo brand to VW, quite simply!!! Expanding Maserati's volume, and making use of other under-utilized Italian factories could still be done by the very same people currently at the helm of Maserati, and by developing Maserati downrange...

At this point, they could even re-use the Lancia badge and sell the initial cars as "Lancia by Maserati"...
AO Member

Lancia!

Now there's a marque with a storied history that's even more divorced from it's brand values/rich heritage than Alfa Romeo.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
4th , alfa , marchionne , plan , relaunch , unveil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page