1985 Interview with Alfa's Head of Design ... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
1985 Interview with Alfa's Head of Design ...

Rummaging in the garage for an old manual, I found a Performance Car magazine from July 1985 with an interview with Alfa's then Head of Design ... I've uploaded it here ...

... not all he said came true ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
he talks of the 33, 75 and 90...just reheated versions of old, old, cars. Alfa has always excelled at pouring old wine into new bottles. No fault of its own (but that of its many dithering masters) so praise to Alfa for making something so old (like the Alfetta platform) so fundamentally good that, even today, a good 75 remains a complete blast.
AO Member

County: Auckland
Interesting read. Stems from the time when Alfa were still owned by the Italian government and trying to work miracles against a backdrop of heavy losses. The arrival of Fiat not much more than a year after this was published certainly changed much of what was planned. We know the 164 was delayed to ensure that it was better than the other Tipo Quattro cars for example...

Interesting that he talks about the 3.0l V6 as being something in the future, as far as I am aware Alfa was already putting the 3.0l into South African GTV6s at the time of this interview. I well remember taking my Sprint Veloce into Alfarama for a service in the mid-eighties (when they were still in Kingsbury) and seeing a line of white 3.0l GTV6s apparently fresh off the boat...
AO Silver Member

This was an interesting period. Guelfi says we're working on a whole range of different technologies and we'll definitely pick some and use them somewhere, but we're not sure which ones and where they'll go. This explains the models of the era!
He also mentions "On the 90 we used CAD for 65 to 70 per cent of the body design, but on the 75 we have used it 100 per cent."
By 'CAD', I gather he means 'a ruler'?
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbowz View Post
Interesting read. Stems from the time when Alfa were still owned by the Italian government and trying to work miracles against a backdrop of heavy losses. The arrival of Fiat not much more than a year after this was published certainly changed much of what was planned. We know the 164 was delayed to ensure that it was better than the other Tipo Quattro cars for example...

Interesting that he talks about the 3.0l V6 as being something in the future, as far as I am aware Alfa was already putting the 3.0l into South African GTV6s at the time of this interview. I well remember taking my Sprint Veloce into Alfarama for a service in the mid-eighties (when they were still in Kingsbury) and seeing a line of white 3.0l GTV6s apparently fresh off the boat...
Yep -I remember 3.0 GTVs well having grown up in SA. This was also the era of the Giulietta Turbo over there. Heady days though Alfa pulled out not long after this too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
1985 , alfa , design , head , interview

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page