Real life tyre comparison - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Real life tyre comparison

For the last 50 or 60K miles in my 159 I had driven on UniRoyal Rainsport 2 and can say that the car never felt unsettled, even giving acceptable grip on snow and ice.

The route I take to work and back every day I have driven for 14 years, I know how fast I can push into bends and roundabouts, I know where I can push the car safely even in the wet, but that respect has been gained in the most recent years on what I have said above.

When we first got the Spider it had Acceleras PH1 tyres on the front and Bridgestone at the back, push where in the same way I would the 159, the Spider would understeer alarmingly, changing to UniRoyals changed that.

The 159 has now gone to a good home, and I am getting to know my Brera, it is surprising different to the Spider in feel. I suspect some of that is due to the tyres, it has Continental Contact 3's all around. Now I'm driving with a bit more enthusiasm as I get used to it, I'm finding on a damp roundabouts it has the same desire to understeer as did the Spider on its original tyres. In fact one morning last week it became very unsettled on a quick roundabout.

What is to be concluded from this? In some of the lengthy debates some have said that Accelera's are not as other people claim. Well compared to the expensive Continental Contact 3, they have a point. But that doesnt mean I'm about to go out and fit PHI's to the Brera, oh no! It may just have to be more UniRoyals.

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super Lusso 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus Abarth 595 and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm - 1.6TS 147

Last edited by Top Down; 01-12-13 at 07:59. Reason: editing grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Everybody drives in a certain manner, and as a result a certain tyre will suit some more than others! There is no 'universal best tyre' IMO.
VO2Max

Personal preference counts for a lot, but a good idea of the attributes - or otherwise - of various tyres can be gained from the various tyre review websites that exist.

Reviews from different countries which seem to show similar results for any given tyre are probably to be given some credence.

I currently have Acceleras on my GT which I bought recently. They're pretty crap in the wet so I'm hoping to wear them out as quickly as possible on dry roads so I can get myself some Dunlop Maxx RT's.

And something that I've noticed recently, is that tyres are now all rated for noise. The Acceleras are noticeably noisy, I have found. They're rated at 72dBA. The Dunlop Maxx are rated at 69dBA (these figures from memory). A LOT quieter!

I shall report back when I've had the Dunlops fitted!

AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
I had the Dunlop sport maxx on my 147 and was really disappointed. Very little "feel", much louder then I thought they would be and tramlined like a bar steward. Recently fitted Kumho ku39's and much happier. Quieter then the dunlops on my 100 mile a day commute, better in the wet and much more feel in the corners.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I temperature anything to do with it? I can't fault Acceleras on the 159 in the summer, I've driven the set that came with the car pretty hard, and they've never put a foot,wrong. However, as the temperatures drop, they are pretty rubbish, and IMO downright dangerous below about 3C. However, by the time it gets that cold, I am running winters anyway.

Also check the condition of the various suspension arms. A long time before it becomes an MOT failure they can really ruin the drive of the car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
comparison , life , real , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page