anyone ice locked out of their GTV/Spider yet - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 13-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

'01 2.0 GTV

anyone ice locked out of their GTV/Spider yet

I think I remember the previous owner mentioning keeping some de-icer in the porch for the winter, but i found out why this morning! Came back in to station, knackered, from a 12 hour night shift this morning to find the doors and locks completely frozen solid.
I grabbed some de-icer spray from an ambulance and give it a good going around the locks and door/window edges. After about 10 wonderful minutes I managed to get the passenger door open, start her up and left her running with heaters on to warm up.
I return a little later to find the drivers doors still locked solid so had to perform a 'graceful' manoeuvre to get in the back seat and slide into the front (which rode my shirt up and I also got a lovely cold leather vs warm back wake up).
I then couldnt get the car locked when i got home and had to **** about there for a bit and I could actually hear my bed gently calling.
Managed to keep my cool and im laughing about it now! Gonna make some preparations later to prevent further incidents!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
This is one part of GTV ownership that I don't miss.

On one occasion miles from home I managed to get the drivers door open, but the button stuck in, so I couldn't get the door to close again.
AO Member

County: Greater London
i had to half boil the kettle this morning, and scrape a bit of ice from the inside of the windows.
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. the De-icer stuff is counter productive though.. the solvents in it dissolve grease and will carry it out of the lock, so while they melts the ice, they also leave the lock more vulnerable to re-freezing.

I would leave the beast parked out in the sunshine (?) one day, or use a hair-dryer to heat the locks through.

Blast the locks with WD40, using the nozzle, to get any residual moisture out. Let it dry off a bit.

Get some white spray grease and spray that into the locks... working the locks with the key. This will carry the grease into the heart of the lock.

Do it again. Don't neglect the passenger door, since often that's the only way in..

If you have a tub of grease jam the ends of the locks with it, especially if your lock cover flap is worn and doesn't close. The grease will act as a barrier to water getting in.

Use some tyre shine stuff on the door rubbers so that the door doesn't stick to the rubber (if you have a 145, you'll know all about that.. )

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 16-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

'01 2.0 GTV

thanks for the tips Ralph. I had a good car wash session yesterday in the sun, I chucked a load of GT40 in the locks and around the buttons, followed by some spray grease later on. I picked up some silicon spray grease and rubbed into the door rubbers and the back of the window scrapers so will see how that goes.
I also gave the windows inside a good clean with vinegary water and newspaper (my gran would be proud) and you can see through em real good! Also treated myself to a new ice scraper and demister pad all £4.50's worth , hey big spender! Oh and an airfreshener so it dont smell of vinegar; although I kinda liked it!
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by burty330 View Post
thanks for the tips Ralph. I had a good car wash session yesterday in the sun, I chucked a load of GT40 in the locks and around the buttons, followed by some spray grease later on. I picked up some silicon spray grease and rubbed into the door rubbers and the back of the window scrapers so will see how that goes.
I also gave the windows inside a good clean with vinegary water and newspaper (my gran would be proud) and you can see through em real good! Also treated myself to a new ice scraper and demister pad all £4.50's worth , hey big spender! Oh and an airfreshener so it dont smell of vinegar; although I kinda liked it!

That should all work but if the locks freeze again use ptfe spray for mountain bikes.

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Not used the Gtv since early September and not used Spider since June. Not likely to change any time soon either
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
HaHa, yes. Twice so far. WD40 doesn't seem to be doing the job either.

The best was when i finally got it open i din't realise the passenger side door was still parlty locked so when I started her up and began clearing the screens the drivers door locked itself again and i was locked out with a running engine. Fortunately I had a spare key.

I think i am going to dismantle the door buttons and re-assemble everything with proper grease. Spray grease is only a temporary solution IME.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Haha it's that time of year again. Get yourself some of this stuff, I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems at all. Come the colder weather I spray into the locks and onto the rubbers around the doors etc and have never been stuck getting into the car. I guess it's the old prevention is easier than the cure. Oh and cats like it too lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1384953599592.jpg (63.8 KB, 4 views)
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Not used the Gtv since early September and not used Spider since June. Not likely to change any time soon either
paging rgwm and his scrap trailer......paging rgwm and his scrap trailer.....rgwm to the recovery vehicle please.
Gaz
Regional Support North

Both fully working now nob off
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransoman View Post
HaHa, yes. Twice so far. WD40 doesn't seem to be doing the job either.

I think i am going to dismantle the door buttons and re-assemble everything with proper grease. Spray grease is only a temporary solution IME.

As above, WD40 is parafin, so it will dissolve any grease, drip it out into the inside of the door and then evaporate away, allowing any water to get back in.

Spray grease isn' as hard-core as regular grease.. but it's a good way to get grease back into the mechanism. My "top tip" is to stuff the lock with graphite or LM grease after the spray grease so that it keeps water from getting in.. and eventually works its way into the lock (esp. if you use the key to lock/unlock the car, rather than a remote fob, if you have one).

I haven't had a frozen lock for years... more likely the door sticks to the rubbers.. but my beast was a bit stiff last week (oi! ) so I did immediately grease the locks up and it's been fine since.

Ralf S.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Both fully working now nob off

and road legal?
Gaz
Regional Support North

Ah now thats different
Global Mod Team

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Spidey is in the warmth of the garage and Etta doesn't freeze up. It's bloody great I must admit that I don't miss trying to get into a frozen Spider!

Sorry, this is no help and I'm gloating
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
On the rubber seals use Gummi Pfledge
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Anyone got advice on how to stop my window freezing? The window obviously goes down about an inch as you open the door. Last winter I had some problems with it getting frozen so it could go down!
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Finally cleared my garage of an old bed & BWM tourer so she now get tucked up each night . I Feel your pain though, frozen locks then when you do get in re-freezing and the door handle going all floppy . No more Mr floppy for me !
AO Member

County: Greater London
i would worry about filling my locks with too much grease because when you use the key and then put the key in your pocket, it will cover your pocket in grease too.
AO Platinum Member

Stick it in and out a few times... then wipe the key clean (use a bit of rag to pick the grease out of the grooves). The grease does stay off.

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: Angus

Member car:

I used to have this issue with my classic mini(s).

Graphite powder as previously mentioned is the solution, not a wet lubricant like WD40 which will strip the proper lubricants off the lock.

I often coupled that with a hot water bottle to hold against the door handle, but then the classic Mini handle isn't recessed like the GTV.

Another alternate I often used with the Mini was simply to not lock it. This meant I only had to wrestle with the frozen button, and it had a separate alarm anyway.

Everyone assumes that cars are locked nowadays

Chris

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
gtv or spider , ice , locked

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page