Alfa Romeo overhaul stalls due to Fiat-Chrysler buyout - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 11-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Alfa Romeo overhaul stalls due to Fiat-Chrysler buyout

Seems to confirm what has been discussed here as well: the only new Alfa progressed at the moment is the new MX5-based Spider.

Having said that, the news article mentions that there has been no progress in the last 12 months on the Alfa SUV mule shown in the photos. But it seems to me that this mule has a Jeep grille on it whereas the one spotted in Los Angeles 1 year ago had an Alfa grille on it. So something is happening underneath. Although the fact that it has a Jeep grille probably means it is not the Alfa SUV but a Jeep product which is being tested.

Alfa Romeo overhaul stalls due to Fiat-Chrysler buyout | Autocar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

2+2 = 7, because 3. Yes, the FIAT/Chrysler holdup is holding up Alfa's plans, but that doesn't mean that model development has stopped completely.

Quote:
"That this prototype is no more advanced than the one spotted by Autocar in Los Angeles 12 months ago shows that Alfa’s mainstream models are effectively on hold."
1. there's no evidence that this mule is "no more advanced" than previous ones, unless Autocar was able to somehow X-ray both of them.

2. even if it were, that is no evidence that the project is on hold. If the purpose of this mule was to do suspension tuning (one of the few tasks that requires actual road-going vehicles rather than computer models), there would be no need for its bodywork or cabin to be updated to the latest design... especially when the bodywork of a new car is its defining marketing feature, and thus the thing you want to keep secret until launch.

FIAT does a lot of its engineering in-computer, as do most other manufacturers these days. Putting a mule out on the public road is often done to seed interest in an upcoming model as much as it is to perform real-world testing.

I wonder, how does one become a car journalist these days? The "journalism" bit seems to be optional...

This year's winter testing season will be the proof of whether or not Alfa has stopped developing these models.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
I tend to agree with Kris, hope he's right.

The front end may be Jeep, but there is no mistake in what the origins of the back end are.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
It would be a good idea if they could make a prototype of the real rear end and leave it in the rain to avoid real world water ingress for however the real Jeep turns out . There's a limit to what computers can do to test some stuff.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
The b segment Jeep and 500x are on their way, to be built at Melfi.

I know of someone who is a quality manager for the project. Doesn't sound like its not happening as we speak does it!?

Whatever is or is not happening, the simple fact is that it is too slow - and in the case of the Giulia, too late.
AO Member

County: Cardiff
I agree with Mike, far to late. It seems that every month there's a exclusive story about the new Alfa's, but when!

For nearly a year i have been Alfaless and drive a Lexus IS, waiting for the Giulia but WHEN!! First its 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

@PR - As far as I know, there isn't going to be an Alfa version of the B-SUV (500X/small Jeep).

The Alfa model is to be a C-Segment SUV, similar to, and based on, the new Jeep Cherokee.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
@PR - As far as I know, there isn't going to be an Alfa version of the B-SUV (500X/small Jeep).

The Alfa model is to be a C-Segment SUV, similar to, and based on, the new Jeep Cherokee.
Yes, but Autocar said...

There’s no news either on the planned Fiat 500X and its related ‘baby Jeep’ model.

Which there is...!

Also strange language to say that its understandable that the UAW want top price as they have people to look after!? Yes, and if it all goes pear shaped everyone will lose out, including their dependees.....as has been said, its a high stakes game of poker
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Basically the world of Car Mags has been overtaken by the internet... so thats why they print these "non-stories" to sell mags... In autocars situation they know people will buy the mag when they see "exclusive" "Land Rover" and "Jaguar" and its well proven that an image of a red Alfa Romeo on the front page will sell magazines .. the quality and more importantly accuracy of the actual journalism has gone down hill in the past 5 years...

Fiat have always been a bit better at keeping their development and design fairly secret. The Giuilia may well be delayed, I dont think the SUV will be as its co-developed with the Jeep. Its also more likely to sell more than a saloon. Its probably the more important model.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
"There’s no news either on the planned Fiat 500X and its related ‘baby Jeep’ model."
Apologies, I missed that bit!

@stuartmunn - the one thing that FIAT gain from their extensive use of simulation and virtual engineering is that they don't have to do public-road testing with the final bodywork until very late in the process. This keeps models very secret.
The first "spy" photo of Giulietta that came out was of fully-assembled cars lined up in the factory.
AO Member

County: Perthshire

Member car:

non Alfa Romeo

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmunn View Post
The Giuilia may well be delayed, I dont think the SUV will be as its co-developed with the Jeep. Its also more likely to sell more than a saloon. Its probably the more important model.
Sorry, but the SUV has already been delayed by years. They have been talking about an Alfa SUV since I don't know when and I am sure there is a post on here stating that the SUV was to go into production at the Belvedere plant in 2012!

That to me is delayed.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Apologies, I missed that bit!

@stuartmunn - the one thing that FIAT gain from their extensive use of simulation and virtual engineering is that they don't have to do public-road testing with the final bodywork until very late in the process. This keeps models very secret.
The first "spy" photo of Giulietta that came out was of fully-assembled cars lined up in the factory.
There was a spy video though, that I took in 2009 (see youtube link further down the post).

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...-a-milano.html

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , buyout , due , fiatchrysler , overhaul , romeo , stalls

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page