Why is it funny that an Alfa is sick? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 40 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

Why is it funny that an Alfa is sick?

Sorry I am having a mini rant.

People have various cars in my office, and it understandably people have problems regardless of make or model. The reaction from others is usually, you poor thing, bad luck etc.

But when you have an Alfa there seems to be some kind of sick satisfaction for others if you develop a problem.

I hadn't used my car in about a two weeks. Anyway, when I drove off I could feel the handbrake hadn't fully disengaged. Low and behold a few miles down the road an awful smell started on the dual carriageway. I slowed down to pull into a lay by to access the the situation and this idiot pulls up along side me in a Mitsubishi Lancer waving frantically and laughing at me. As I slow down for the pull in I get the ****** sign.

Bad enough but not the end of the world. When the car is stopped I manage to free the brake and make work on time with no further problems. However all day I get idiots walking into my office saying 'He, he was it you broken down on the side of the road' or 'I couldn't live with a car like that'.

Seeing it has never broken down or let me down it is made out like it never gets me to work. Not just in this place either, somebody was thinking of buying an Alfa and talking to me about them. Next thing I know some idiot came into my office with a picture of an Alfa on a tow truck saying 'Thats all you need to know about Alfa's'.

Really bugging me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Jealousy, pure and simple.

Rise above it bud
Durty dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch916 View Post
jealousy, pure and simple.

Rise above it bud

+1

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
I like reminding people that own generic german cars when they say 'oooh, Alfas. Dodgy electrics on them', yes thats because the electrics are german you bellend
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

dont let it bother you.

You are driving an Alfa v6 FFS! Enjoy the ride fella!
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I like reminding people that own generic german cars when they say 'oooh, Alfas. Dodgy electrics on them', yes thats because the electrics are german you bellend
So true THAT is what caused the biggest problem on my 159!!
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
And the tyre wear on a 159 is from the attempts to make handling improvements to a "chassis " likely to been developed for Saab and Alfa near Frankfurt by Opel !
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I've had more mechanical problems with modern VWs I have owned than my 159ti !!!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
This used to bug, but no more! My mate and his dad used to give me a lot of stick, mates alternator went south on his fiesta and the air suspension on his dads A8 went pop, 4000 fix for the latter..

Even my dad used to, then the stalk for his cruise control wet on his Merc.. apparently not covered under his warranty, set him back 700 or so.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
I to get the same reaction at work, and my 96 Spider has never let me down.
This week it cost me 140 inc to get my car through the MOT( the one and only fault being a split drive shaft gaiter!) My neighbours well cared for 05 plate Z4 cost him 956 to get through the MOT and in the last couple of weeks has seen the nice man from the RAC twice!! Go figure!
AO Platinum Member

I think people are distressed when an Alfa doesn't conform to their 35 years out of date stereotype.... It means their reasons for buying a "reliable German/Swedish /Japanese/Korean car".. appear to be founded just on ignorance and prejudice.

Hence, the relief when your car gets a puncture.. it proves all along that their choice was the most logical and sensible one after all. Well done! Aren't they clever..? Now jog on...

My view is.... they sold hardly any Alfa 156s relatively speaking, compared to the thousands of C-classes and the original Audi A4 of the same vintage.. but I see more '56s on the road. Why's that? Maybe the 156 is more reliable .. or maybe it's easier to fix... or maybe it's just a more special car, if it makes us constantly keep fixing it.

When theirs breaks.. on the other hand.. it's just a recycled refrigerator..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 505
County: Victoria

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

A typical exchange in my experience:

"Nice Alfa - has it broken down yet?"

"No* but it's only 5 years old with 142000 km on it"

* not entirely true but close enough under the circumstances.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

I just compare service bills. It usually shuts them up.

I'm convinced that you only get this from people who are having problems with their own car. Happy drivers don't need to put other people down to feel happy.
AO Member

County: Glasgow

Member car:

916 Spider & GTV

I had an opposite experience...the downpipe on my spider parted company with the rest of the exhaust, as you can imagine there wasn't a small amount of noise coming from it...one of my neighbours from across the road that I havn't spoken too before (bmw driver) "that's a shame, it's such a good looking car and normally makes such a nice noise, you are getting it fixed?"

I think he was worried I'd get rid of it lol
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

GT JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa luke View Post
Sorry I am having a mini rant.

Really bugging me now.

Don't let it. 156 V6 = ...and I suspect they know it. If they don't then their opinion is not worth getting upset about.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Rise above it mate; the fact they made rude hand gestures makes me think they're not very nice people, anyway.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
Reliability is boring
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
I also think the problem is that a lot of people seem to think basic maintenance like checking the oil and changing the battery constitutes unreliability or that you change the brake pads means its poorly made. In my experience these are the same people who never have any problems with their car, except that one time where the gearbox broke and it cost them a fortune.
Bent Propeller

I had people take the pish when I bought mine...

And guess what, it never missed a beat.

The abuse lasted about 2 weeks till I had a rage out and told many to C'off, not ideal and I do not suggest the same, as above, rise above it

You have a V6 Alfa, that is all.

AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
When I got mine a guy at work told me about his wife's 147, and how the engine went pop on the motorway... Nice car, won't have another, etc.

I just said I presumed she had checked the oil, and he said no, they do that at services. Dumbass.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

We could go into a whole psycho babble....but my thought is "****** 'em"

Pure bad manners....would i be pleased if i saw another marque broken down at the side of the road ?...no....but then again,with the amount of sneers i've got about Alfa,especially from the German eurobores.....possibly YES !!!

did i say "****** 'em" ???
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston916 View Post
...one of my neighbours from across the road that I havn't spoken too before (bmw driver) "that's a shame, it's such a good looking car and normally makes such a nice noise, you are getting it fixed?"
That, right there is the difference between someone who is interested in cars, and someone who's just a brand snob...
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
I also think the problem is that a lot of people seem to think basic maintenance like checking the oil and changing the battery constitutes unreliability or that you change the brake pads means its poorly made. In my experience these are the same people who never have any problems with their car, except that one time where the gearbox broke and it cost them a fortune.
Aye! I'm always tinkering with mine.. not only keeps the beast sweet but I enjoy it. It might appear to some casual viewer as if it needs a lot of fixing.. but as you say, their car is reliable until it gets to MOT time and they have to spend 600 getting everything fixed all at once..

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
I was expecting trouble when a big box from Eurocarparts arrived at work for me but all I got was 'my Mondeo needs a new one of those too' and 'where did you get those, my Fiesta needs a new one too'
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Self doubt and insecurity - plain and simple.
Jealousy in some cases but not all.

People find cars a 'club' to join and be part of - they need reason to re-enforce their decision, seeing others go down in flames further re-enforces they made the right choice, and the competiton continues.

Its the same since the beginning of time.. Whos the best fighter, who can run the fastest, whos got the best horse, whos got the fastest cart, whos got the fastest car, motorbike, PC, mobile, tablet.... its all compare compare compare.

You break down in an alfa, you enforce the argument that Alfas are unreliable and your 'dare to be different' has paid off in pain. "You should know better" yada yada yada

The amount of times i hear "should have bought german" gets my back up - i DONT WANT a german car, if i did I would get one. Besides, Id probably go back to a jap than german any day. These people then leave a back comment of "..but they are really nice cars to look at.." And that says it all ,thats why they self doubt, secretly the want one.

I think thats why Clarkson descibes alfa owners as 'nice people' not alfa males. "Alfa males drive BMWs" Alfa owners have to put up with a lot, and we 99% of the time bend over and take it.

Despite its faults, and there are 100's, compred to my 156 Fords have let me down a LOT more in my lifetime. The reward for repairing them isnt exactly worth it either (yay, my a-to-b generic piece of tin is working again... sigh I dont care), they all got scrapped int he end.

================================================== ==========
04 156 1.9 JTD 16v 140 Dark blue Veloce 110k
54 147 1.9 JTD 16v 140 Silver Lusso 115k - WRITTEN OFF

Some swear by their Alfa, I swear at mine!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , funny , sick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page