Sorn 147 - selling advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Sorn 147 - selling advice please

I declared my Alfa 147 SORN due to a serious medical condition which stopped me driving a year ago. I thought I could be driving again next year but it's unlikely so have reluctantly decided to sell. It has no tax or insurance but my local garage has just MOT'd it (they kindly collected it and dropped it off, needed a new battery). Selling it is going to be a problem if someone can't test drive it, I can't tax it without insurance (which I couldn't get with my condition). Any advice from you kind folk would be much appreciated.
Just had a thought - my wife has her own car, not sure of the implications of her taking ownership and taxing it? Guessing insurance is the big cost or are there cheaper short term insurance options for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

You (or your wife) can get short term insurance for relatively cheap prices - just google short term car insurance - but I'm not sure if these policies can be used to tax a car. Can't see why not. However, insuring and taxing a car can be expensive just to sell a car.....I'd be tempted to offer it for sale expalining the situation clearly. After all hundreds of cars sell every day through Ebay and other auctions without the buyer having a test drive - perhaps for a little less than the optimum, but you won't have incurred any tax and insurance costs....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Member

County: Essex
you are best off just selling it stating the tax has expired, many cars are sold like this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS Lusso

Cheers guys, think I'll do that. Looking on eBay at completed auctions of all models of cars sold without tax was encouraging as I could find a fair few, and some selling for ok prices but with what sometimes sound like worrying issues?? Luckily mine is well looked after, cam belt, new sparks, discs/pads and got the rarer black sports leather interior (with red stitching) and supersport alloys. Going to get in trouble for this shameless plug so will stop now! Guess if lack of a test drive is too much of an issue I could look into any friends of friends who have a bit of land where I could keep it but then I have the issue of getting it there and lack of insurance incase it gets damaged there.
AO Platinum Member

If you stick it on fleabay, someone will buy it without a test drive. You will get a little less for it.. but if you have to pay e.g. £300 and then tax, just to get an extra £300 on the selling price, then you're not actually better off.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
147 , advice , selling , sorn

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page