Sub 1000 Alfas - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Sub 1000 Alfas

It seems there's hundreds of 156 and 147's on the internet these days for less than a grand, some much less, and I'm interested to see if anyone on here has bought or test driven one?

Are they as bad as people would have us believe or have they still got that alfa magic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

sir_leroy

Paid 550 for mine its A GTV tho ,anyway its driving me insane stinking of car fumes ,water runs into the car when the windows open idle sits well below 1000 rpm lol

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
They're mostly in need of work and drive sub-par. You can get a bargain one from time to time that drives like one should, but don't bank on it. I buy 3-5 a week usually bidding blind, most are sheds, an occasional gem crops up. As a general rule, they are cheap for a reason.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

156 2.5 Q System

Bought my 156 v6 last july for 290 on ebay an absolute bargain only work needed doing was outer cv boots on the front and airbag light
sir_leroy

295.00 outstanding

(Post Link) post #6 of 32 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

cheap for a reason sounds like good advice! I think ill give them a bit of a wide birth...
AO Platinum Member

My 145 was 505 off fleabay. Needed some instrument cluster bulbs and has been pretty much faultless since...

On the other hand, it was a 500 car... rear pads, handbrake cables and wishbones weren't pristine and survived for only a couple of MoTs... and the exhaust back-box isn't the one I bought... but apart from a couple of cam-belts and tensioners, filters, oil, plugs and the etc. of running a car over 3 years and 48,000 miles, nothing has actually gone wrong with it.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Depends on what you want, and your ability/time to sort niggles.

I bought a 2003 156 SportWagon a few weeks back, its the 2.4 jtd 10v Lusso with facelift interior.

High mileage (130k) but solid history. I gave 850 for it.

I've spent the last couple of weekends going round it and replacing/fixing all the little problems using ebay sourced parts and bits I had in my shed, have given it a proper deep valet and its totally come back to life. Its like a 5 year old car rather than 10 year old.

So far it owes me, 1k, it will need a clutch and service in the not too distant future but then these are wear and tear items and not expensive. To my mind a total spend of 1500 ish for a solid, sorted family car is an absolute bargain, all our friends with kids are leasing Range Rovers, X5s, Q7s. Its madness the money there are spending....

I am amazed at how much car it is for the money, and if it blows up I can break it for what I paid.

buy with your eyes open and you'll be fine

Cheers
MC

PS - Dont mention the 145 QV I bought without viewing......

2018 - Today 159 1750 tbi Ti
2012 - Today GTV 3.0 V6 24v Lusso
Gone by not forgotten!
2015 - 2016 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso
2013 - 2015 156 SW 2.4 JTD Lusso
2013 - 2013 145 QV Shed for 1 week - RIP
2011 - 2012 Brera S 3.2 V6 Prodrive number 21/178
2007 - 2011 GTV 3.0 V6 Q2
AO Platinum Member

What happened to the 145QV you bought without viewing?

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
What happened to the 145QV you bought without viewing?

Ralf S.
Lets just say Ned used it as an example of why WaxOil (sic) is a good idea....

Cheers
MC
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Should of bought my 145 lol.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris260309 View Post
Should of bought my 145 lol.
I Will own one at some point, need to scratch that itch. Is your still for sale?
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchase View Post
I Will own one at some point, need to scratch that itch. Is your still for sale?
It's not in the bl00dy classifieds if it is
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

There are lots of decent cars about for less than a grand generally. The arse has totally fallen out of the market for cars 10 years old or over with biggish engines meaning there are bargains to be had.

The issue with a 156 is the number of expensive jobs that will almost certainly need doing. You can bet that the belts will be long overdue and that a fair few suspension bits will also be needed. I reached a point with my old 156 where the work it needed (belts, wishbones, a battery, other odds and sods) easily added up to way more than it was worth.

If you really want a 156/147, have limited money, and don't mind getting your hands dirty, they aren't necessarily bad buys but if all you want is cheap wheels, there are better options.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
crazycarb

Look, don't mess, if you want sub "a grand", don't mess with Alfas, go and get a Mondeo ST. 7 or 800 quid a pop.(and will undoubtedly appreciate).

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterchase View Post
Could be, was goin to wait to January to advertise it but if anyone's interested I'm sure a deal could be done sooner
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
As long as you don't buy one with a killer problem (rust mainly), then these are a stunning proposition if you are capable of fixing it yourself. If you have to go to a garage for everything, then run away as fast as you can.

A typical 156 will need belts and a suspension rebuild. That's 1k of parts, and at the end of it you have a cracking car.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I've bought umpteen Alfas for under a grand, admittedly some of them for breaking, but also all the ones we've run as our own cars - and this is the heretical bit - the only service they ever get is to replace worn out bits like brakes and tyres. Never changed a belt on any of my own cars, and only had two belt failures in over 15 years of running TS and V6 engined cars. I rarely pay more than 600 or so for a car with test and a bit of tax - the last few having been 156 Sportwagons of varying engine sizes, and if they need significant expenditure after 18 months or so, I replace them and break the old one. Doesn't make sense to spend big money on a car that can be easily replaced for little extra.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
I've bought umpteen Alfas for under a grand, admittedly some of them for breaking, but also all the ones we've run as our own cars - and this is the heretical bit - the only service they ever get is to replace worn out bits like brakes and tyres. Never changed a belt on any of my own cars, and only had two belt failures in over 15 years of running TS and V6 engined cars. I rarely pay more than 600 or so for a car with test and a bit of tax - the last few having been 156 Sportwagons of varying engine sizes, and if they need significant expenditure after 18 months or so, I replace them and break the old one. Doesn't make sense to spend big money on a car that can be easily replaced for little extra.
But are they cheap transport, or are they passion? I've ran 156s bangernomics-style myself and it is cheap transport but they never drive like they really should.
The eyes-open moment for me was driving a 17k mile 156 GTA. Thats when I really understood just how good these cars are meant to be, way better than the 100K plus examples I'd owned previously, with parts replaced when they got to the stage of failing MOTs.

Its not a bad thing, driving around in a 156 thats been looked after on the cheap, it certainly means you have more money to spend on other aspects of life, but for me I couldn't do it anymore, if its not how its meant to be I'd rather jump in my Mrs's Golf or the family Vectra.

Last edited by Pud237; 06-11-13 at 01:08.
AO Platinum Member

I fix mine myself as I go along.. not quite always with genuine parts (if you can still get them) but no scrimping on what needs to be done either. I probably spend 200 a year on bits and pieces for it (exceptions being a stainless exhaust a couple of years ago and a set of winter tyres this year). That's way less than just the depreciation on a new-ish car.

My car cost 505.. is probably worth 505.. and will probably always be worth 505, while it has an MOT... so it's a no brainer to keep it running with all the bits it needs.

My advice.. buy one, fix it yourself, keep looking after it... Can't go wrong.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.5 V6

My 156 V6 was bought a Xmas for 600. Full history and walked it's last MOT with just a couple of silly advisors.

Other than a split hose it has been 100% reliable.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Most of my recent Alfa's cost me less than a Grand.

As long as you are prepared to do a bit of spannering and or welding you should turn up something fairly decent.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
But are they cheap transport, or are they passion? I've ran 156s bangernomics-style myself and it is cheap transport but they never drive like they really should.
I hear what you are saying here Dan, this is why my GTV gets money thrown at it, and the 156 will be merely maintained, and kept reliable.

Cheers
MC
AO Member

County: Tobago
can't remember the last time i paid more than 1k for an alfa

i budget 100 for every month's MoT left on it and roll the dice. maybe i'm just lucky but they've all been bought unseen and i've never been let down by any of them, including those way overdue a belts change. always have another vehicle available as "back-up" though because i do know that i'll need it one day !

best buy? - GTV6 needing head gasket but with receipts for 000's of other work, 420
worst buy? - the red GTV, from a dealer at 999 which was just a pig from day 1

all have outlived their MoT's though and providing fun motoring despite receiving only routine maintenance

think i've got myself addicted to the frisson of anxiety that each journey provokes

paul
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

My GTV was well sub 1000 but is now +1000 and it still looks like a shed

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfas , 1000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page