"The Giulia is not easy to style" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 41 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,792
"The Giulia is not easy to style"

Ramiciotti said recently to journalists about the need for the Giulia to have world-wide appeal
New Alfa Romeo Giulia is a 'styling challenge' says boss | Autocar
cue2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: bacon
AO Platinum Member
 
ACAPULCO AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 29,280
challenge as in trying to do the impossible and marry 'bug eyes' with 'not hideous'?

the sooner alfa abandon the whole bug-eye thing the better, it's a terrible look
ACAPULCO AL is offline  
Status: Down to half as many Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Firstcaralfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
challenge as in trying to do the impossible and marry 'bug eyes' with 'not hideous'?

the sooner alfa abandon the whole bug-eye thing the better, it's a terrible look
+1. I can stomach it (just) on a Giuiletta. However it would ruin a sleek saloon.
Firstcaralfa is offline  
Status: Doesn't suffer fools gladly........
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Posts: 154
They have managed to style a lot of sleek cars over the years, so what's their problem now?
Carrotsucker is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 41 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,792
Warning Luddite Alert!
Google Beautiful car and loads of "bug eyes" appear and yes the 159 /Brera too!
cue2 is online now  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
So, is it a challenge they've overcome or - as it could be interpreted - they still haven't dealt with it?
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: bacon
AO Platinum Member
 
ACAPULCO AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 29,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Warning Luddite Alert!
Google Beautiful car and loads of "bug eyes" appear and yes the 159 /Brera too!
not a luddite - more of an aesthete

i think the thing i don't like about the bug eyed look isn't the bug eyes themselves, it's more the expanse of bare bonnet between them. the mito & giulietta just about get away with it, but it's a look that would completely bomb on a bigger car


by the way, i'm googling 'beautiful car' and i'm scrolling a loooooong way down and still haven't found a mito or giulietta
ACAPULCO AL is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Finland
County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Posts: 398
It sounded to me like the design is still in the works and certainly nowhere near to be signed off.
ajs178 is offline  
Status: -
AO Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 6,532
It must be a difficult job when the proposed platform changes every time Marchionne changes his underpants!
Dave Brand is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL View Post
not a luddite - more of an aesthete
the mito & giulietta just about get away with it, but it's a look that would completely bomb on a bigger car
I dont think the M + G do get away with it, the G is a lovely looking car, from the side, from the back, but the front. Both the G + M remind me of this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Austin_A35.jpg

Sorry!

It works on the 4C and 8C because they are wider and lower.
Top Down is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 41 Old 04-11-13 Thread Starter
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 31,792
What expanse of bare bonnet?
New Alfa Romeo Giulietta review | carsguide.com.au
You've never looked at one let alone cleaned one to see the sculpture!
cue2 is online now  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 13,125
It sounds like they went from a "Giulietta-Plus" based car (FWD) to something RWD since the Chrysler merger happened and the delay in getting Alfa to market in the US and such a shift would require some rework to get the correct proportions into any existing design.

I'd guess Alfa has half a dozen design proposals for the FWD and probably a few for the RWD already, since that's a normal part of refining the final design. Where it becomes "tricky" is trying to tweak the details around the "hard" points of the car.. and incorporating any neat features from one design, into another otherwise more preferred design.

I'm guessing (if AO goes to form) that whatever they do, just 30% of people will like like it.

Of the rest..

10% will think it looks too conservative
10% will say it looks too radical
10% think it should have looked more like <something> (usually vague and ill defined)
10% think it looks like a Toyota Camry/Renault Laguna mated with the next generation VW Passat/Ford Scorpio but designed in Korea
10% grumble that it's been "styled for the Yanks" regardless what it looks like...
10% don't like the offset number plate
10% complain it's "not a real Alfa"

None of these people are in the market for a new saloon anyway... though they "might have bought a second-hand one when their value has dropped to £300 but they won't now... "

I'm easy what it looks like, as long as they keep the design clean, classy and beautiful... with a hint of sporty/aggressive bad attitude.. Not really fussed with too much trendy or quirky "features" (gimmicks) ... (will accept an off-set number plate)


Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
Ralf S. is offline  
Status: The BSD says konnichiwa
Global Mod Team
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Japan
County: Tokyo
Posts: 114,689
Post of the month goes to Ralf S.
BigFoot is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 85,606
Garage
He's certainly in the running although I think he's underestimated the % of people who'll complain that it's "not a real Alfa" :ZZZ:
David P is offline  
GTA_Nigel
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Simple. It needs to have the impact that the 156 did when it was launched.

But then they need to make sure it doesn't have the niggles that the 156 had (like some suspension components made from cheese).
 
Status: Alfa less :(
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: United Kingdom
County: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 934
cheese never ... formaggio surely ?
stuartmunn is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
It sounds like they went from a "Giulietta-Plus" based car (FWD) to something RWD since the Chrysler merger happened and the delay in getting Alfa to market in the US and such a shift would require some rework to get the correct proportions into any existing design.

I'd guess Alfa has half a dozen design proposals for the FWD and probably a few for the RWD already, since that's a normal part of refining the final design. Where it becomes "tricky" is trying to tweak the details around the "hard" points of the car.. and incorporating any neat features from one design, into another otherwise more preferred design.

I'm guessing (if AO goes to form) that whatever they do, just 30% of people will like like it.

Of the rest..

10% will think it looks too conservative
10% will say it looks too radical
10% think it should have looked more like <something> (usually vague and ill defined)
10% think it looks like a Toyota Camry/Renault Laguna mated with the next generation VW Passat/Ford Scorpio but designed in Korea
10% grumble that it's been "styled for the Yanks" regardless what it looks like...
10% don't like the offset number plate
10% complain it's "not a real Alfa"

None of these people are in the market for a new saloon anyway... though they "might have bought a second-hand one when their value has dropped to £300 but they won't now... "

I'm easy what it looks like, as long as they keep the design clean, classy and beautiful... with a hint of sporty/aggressive bad attitude.. Not really fussed with too much trendy or quirky "features" (gimmicks) ... (will accept an off-set number plate)


Ralf S.
I wont like it if it doesnt have an offset number plate!
Top Down is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 85,606
Garage
Same here, it's "not a real Alfa" if the plate isn't offset





David P is offline  
Status: -
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,637
Giulia has to be a huge hit with the Americans without ****ing off the Europeans too much and at the same time not looking like the Maserati or anything Japanese and be instantly recognisable as an Alfa Romeo.
I don't envy them the task.
97396 is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,500
They can't please everyone. They won't please everyone. If they don't get on with delivering something they'll please absolutely no one.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: RS POWER :D
AO Gold Member
 
LJ_GQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 6,834

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Same here, it's "not a real Alfa" if the plate isn't offset





it's not a real alfa unless water drips from the slightly open window straight into the electric window switches either
LJ_GQV is offline  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 85,606
Garage
So based on that criteria & from personal experience are the Mito & Giulietta "real Alfas"
David P is offline  
Status: Down to half as many Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Firstcaralfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,872
I'm not fussed what it looks like tbh, as long as its not a 'Giulietta Saloon' It should have its own distinct styling features, the one thing i like about alfa styling is that each model has its own little angle.

Imo this is what sets alfa apart from BMW/VAG cars where thet all look the same, just stretched and squeezed for different models.
Firstcaralfa is offline  
Status: RS POWER :D
AO Gold Member
 
LJ_GQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hertfordshire
Posts: 6,834

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
So based on that criteria & from personal experience are the Mito & Giulietta "real Alfas"
100%




LJ_GQV is offline  
Status: supporting a bank near you
AO Silver Member
 
Top Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
Posts: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Imo this is what sets alfa apart from BMW/VAG cars where thet all look the same, just stretched and squeezed for different models.
Exactly, something I have said before. BMW + Audi, one model available in small, medium, large and EX Large.
Top Down is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome