Fan - tastic picture of Alfa engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
Warning Fan - tastic picture of Alfa engine

I only spotted this recently in an old car magazine - trust an Alfa Romeo engine powered car to be mad!

It brought a massive grin to my face.

1978 Brabham F1 "Fan" car.
Niki Lauda 1978 Brabham Alfa Romeo BT46B F1 "Fan Car". The Donington Grand Prix Collection 1993. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Bent Propeller

Awesome... Italians aye

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
That is bonkers - looks more like a hovercraft from the back!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

Brilliant car - Gordon Murray design if I remember rightly - exhaust fan was driven off the transmission, sucked all the air out from under the car to generate downforce, like the Chapparral 2J but without the snowmobile engine...

Ran rings around the competition, before being volutarily withdrawn from competition by Bernie Ecclestone. Factory-supplied Alfa flat-12 engine and transmission, straight out of the T33/SC12. Quite possibly my favourite F1 car ever
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
Brilliant car - Gordon Murray design if I remember rightly - exhaust fan was driven off the transmission, sucked all the air out from under the car to generate downforce, like the Chapparral 2J but without the snowmobile engine...

Ran rings around the competition, before being volutarily withdrawn from competition by Bernie Ecclestone. Factory-supplied Alfa flat-12 engine and transmission, straight out of the T33/SC12. Quite possibly my favourite F1 car ever
It was on a BBC documentary about Gordon Murray
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pukIEuz...%3DpukIEuzgd3U
Great find. F1 cars used to look nice at that time compared to the brutal but safe ones of today?
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Spacenut, did they not put in a V12 to achieve ground effect? (I may be wrong)

And cue2 I have to agree they looked nicer but there have been some gems in the past 15 years or so.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Spacenut, did they not put in a V12 to achieve ground effect? (I may be wrong)

And cue2 I have to agree they looked nicer but there have been some gems in the past 15 years or so.
You are quite correct - the flat 12 buggered up the ground effects so Chiti came up with a new wide angle V12 design in 3 months to accommodate the fan & ground effects
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Nova T33/1.5

That's right, the flat-12 cylinder banks got in the way of the venturi tunnels, so a V-engine was the only way forward once the forced air extraction system was dropped (competitors claimed it was a "moving aerodynamic device", but Brabham successfully demonstrated that the primary function of the fan was to cool the engine - but only just).

I like the idea of a fan car though. Apparently in the pits all you had to do was blip the throttle and the suspension compressed to the bump stops!

Lauren
VO2Max

That's incredible, and he still had time to produce Trumpton, Chigley and Camberwick Green!

GORDON MURRAY'S CAMBERWICK GREEN PAGE

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Still glad overall they banned ground effects and fan cars - it made the racing very boring, like watching scalextric. And was dangerous for drivers as if anything happened to break the ground effects (bump, contact, track edge etc) they went from loads of grip to none and would inevitably lose control.

Nevertheless a fascinating and admirable diversion and a great example of a teams ingenuity in getting round the regulations to get the best effect (see Red Bull currently for details).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , engine , fan , picture , tastic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page