Great Alfa article in "CAR" magazine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 26-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Great Alfa article in "CAR" magazine

Was reading the Sept. issue of the UK's Car Magazine and just wanted to pass on what a great read it was.

Know this has most likely, been discussed here, but found it interesting.

Good breakdown of the 4C and how it will, in time, go down as one of the marque's great models.

Some nice insight into Marchionne's thinking as well, suggesting abandoning a platform sharing strategy with Chrysler and instead, going to RWD and AWD for future models alongside Maserati.

A masterstroke in my opinion. Been an big exponent of that strategy for some time now. Leveraging off its prestigious sister company for parts bin sharing and tech. The 4C being built in Modena another positive step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Not read CAR for years. I cancelled my subscription a few years ago as all it featured was Porsche & BMW.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
I did the same. Used to buy it every month without fail but then it got predictable and starred testing much of the same car all the time. There was an Alfa issue a few months back mind.
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 27-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Must admit, never buy CAR myself.

But the extensive Alfa feature made it good reading.

Last edited by Classico; 29-10-13 at 08:14.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
read an issue recently featuring an Alfa Celebration; in its nod to the GTV6 (rwd), it said it was designed by Bertone. Suspect he's still awaiting his pay cheque :-)
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post

Some nice insight into Marchionne's thinking as well, suggesting abandoning a platform sharing strategy with Chrysler and instead, going to RWD and AWD for future models alongside Maserati.

A masterstroke in my opinion. Been an big exponent of that strategy for some time now. Leveraging off its prestigious sister company for parts bin sharing and tech. The 4C being built in Modena another positive step.
Is this more evidence that they have done absolutely nothing but talk about the Giulia?
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 28-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Is this more evidence that they have done absolutely nothing but talk about the Giulia?
You better believe it.

Coming in a Showroom near you in 2014,15,16........

On second thoughts, make that sometime soon.

Shame.

I, like many others I assume, would be the first in line to buy a decent RWD Alfa saloon with Maserati tech.
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post
I, like many others I assume, would be the first in line to buy a decent RWD Alfa saloon with Maserati tech.
Agree, that type of car would be very interesting to me.

AO Platinum Member

I think once Giulia comes out, we'll know for sure why it took so long. At first it seemed to get held up by Sergio asking for it to be re-styled.. then it was held up because he bought Chrysler and didn't have much spare cash to finish it off... then it needed to be American-ised so it can sell in the USA... and now it looks like it might be getting re-engineered to be a RWD job.

I don't think any of this is tooooooo bad... but if it comes out as the same FWD/tweaked Giulia with 1.4 and 1.75TBi engined jobbies that could have been built 3 years earlier, I'd be a little annoyed. On the other hand.. ongoing-ly developed and RWD Super (do you see what I did there? ) saloon with a spot of re-worked Maseratiness and the odd 6 or 8C under the bonnet.... It was worth the wait.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 29-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Iif it comes out as the same FWD/tweaked Giulia with 1.4 and 1.75TBi engined jobbies that could have been built 3 years earlier, I'd be a little annoyed. On the other hand.. ongoing-ly developed and RWD Super (do you see what I did there? ) saloon with a spot of re-worked Maseratiness and the odd 6 or 8C under the bonnet.... It was worth the wait.

Ralf S.
Agree with you Ralf.

A half-baked, underpowered Giulia job, three years too late, would just be suicide. Sure Marchionne is well aware of that.

What they did with the 4C though, for the first time in a very long time, gives me hope.

Saw a 60 Minutes interview once with Marchionne a few years back and time and time again, he stressed the point he just can't afford another poor selling Alfa model.

For that reason, I'd rather they waited until they got it right, or if they couldn't due to x,y or z, not release anything at all.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Agreed on all points. But, frustratingly, other car companies can develop and bring to market a well-rounded, good to drive car in a quarter of the time we've been waiting for Giulia.
AO Platinum Member

Yeah but.. the elapsed time is for various reasons. They coulda launched a Giulia a year ago... but they changed their mind about it. If they're developing that car or re-engineering it to be RWD then it's effectively another model .. if they just launch the one the had a year ago, then that'll be less good. That's how they knacked the 166, after all.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
We all cut Alfa slack but being realistic they could, should, be launching the Giulia's replacement by now! They should have been well into the program when 159 was launched in 2004 (wasn't it?).

My understanding is that the process overlaps, but even if it was consecutive they've had almost 10 years with still no firm launch date.
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 29-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Agree with Jim as well.

FGA should have had the 159 replacement by now. The fact they haven't has driven many past and potential customers away. Including myself. There was just nothing in the kitchen to choose from.

I think Wester has said many times the 159 was an unmitigated sales flop. It's a fact acknowledged throughout FGA senior management. And perhaps, that's not a bad thing.

In the past, management would press ahead despite the product being flawed (read unwanted, heavy steel GM structures used in the 159/Brera/Spider). It dulled everything, from performance to fuel consumption and of course, sales.

I hope they will follow through with their new edict of getting it right (hello 4C), instead of releasing something sub-par after a lengthy delay.

That, IMO, would be a bigger failing, than releasing nothing at all.

Last edited by Classico; 29-10-13 at 19:58.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Also mention by Georg Kacher that the bigger Alfa SUV products will not be Jeep derived.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

What on earth does he think they're going to base it on? FIAT Group has five possible SUV donors: Panda 4x4, 500X, Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Journey/FIAT Freemont, Jeep Grand Cherokee. Of those, the Panda is out, as it's too small for an Alfa model, and the same could be said of the Punto-based 500X.

If it's a big SUV, and the Maserati Levante is the donor, then it's still based on a Jeep (Levante is based on Grand Cherokee). If it's (as more likely) a compact SUV, then the Cherokee fits the bill.

Just because it's not likely to be a re-body and a re-badge of the Cherokee, it doesn't mean that the Alfa SUV won't draw heavily on Jeep's models: C-US-Wide allows for a lot of variation in vehicle size, while retaining significant parts reuse.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
fumo e specchi, Kris.
fumo e specchi.
AO Member

County: Glasgow

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Super

Thought I'd bump this just to say EVO I bought today has a good eight page 4C review too (4.5/5) with front page pic and only criticism being lack of "spice" to feel/handling.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , article , car , great , magazine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page