Considering a Spider? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

MiTo Cloverleaf

Considering a Spider?

I'm sure some good folk here will talk me out of it, but I've seen an 07 Spider and fallen in love with it(the missus aswell, and she's not helping me to be responsible).

Currently own an 04 GT 1.9 JTD, and the Spider is a 2.4 JTD. Here it is Alfa Romeo Spider 2.4 JTDM 2dr (FULL ALFA SERVICE HISTORY)

One of my issues is my main commute is now very small as I use a local park and ride for transport, weekends of course the car tends to get a decent run. Now I know this isn't good for diesels, but I also here that it isn't really much better for pertol motors either, but what are the negatives I could be missing(aside from the obvious extra buying expense) of trading(well, probably selling as just renewed MOT and paid out for service and cam belt so not the best timing to trade) my GT for a Spider?

Talk some sense into me please

Last edited by Tetlee; 23-10-13 at 22:08.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Newport

Member car:

147 GTA

You only live once
Also the heart is always right
AO Member

County: Newport

Member car:

147 GTA

With regards to short runs it is not ideal for both forms of engine but I understand there is more to go wrong with egr blockages, turbos etc and if you are doing short mileage under around 14k you are better off with a petrol
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
you should be fine, there are numerous people on here that use their diesels on short trips. If you really wanted to you could always get an egr/dpf delete.

However if I was doing short runs, I would buy a petrol as the maintenance would be cheaper and most importantly the sound with the hood down would be music to my ears. There are a fair few 2.2s around from about 8k.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 24-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

MiTo Cloverleaf

Thanks guys, think I'm going to leave it for now and maybe next year look out for a petrol Spider, does feel a bit silly selling the car having just had a good spend on it.

The Spiders are certainly stunners though, if I was to have a tiny reservation it's the slight worry they could be seen as a hairdressers car(I know it shouldn't matter what people think, but still).
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1451
County: Perth and Kinross
Garage

Member car:

Stelvio Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
Thanks guys, think I'm going to leave it for now and maybe next year look out for a petrol Spider, does feel a bit silly selling the car having just had a good spend on it.

The Spiders are certainly stunners though, if I was to have a tiny reservation it's the slight worry they could be seen as a hairdressers car(I know it shouldn't matter what people think, but still).

If you don't mind a bit of a trek.

Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2 JTS Limited Edition in Perth, Perthshire

AO Member

I have owned a (petrol) '09Spider for about 3 weeks and just love it. Hadn't even considered it a "hairdresser's" car -all the comments I have had have been +ve and mainly of a technical nature.What matters is what You think. As far as diesel/petrol goes, I have only ever read that low mileage can be a problem for a diesel, but you need to ask diesel owners on here for their input.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page