MOT emission report...anyone understand it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 15-05-06 Thread Starter

Crazed MOT emission report...anyone understand it?

Ok,

Had my MOT last weekend....

First it failed on rear pads, and a blowing exhaust where the backbox had a hole where the pipe leads in, where it had corroded

With the failure sheet I got my emission report...

Had all the work done, and it passed the MOT where a new emission report was done....

First thing: Is they were exactly the same...

Second thing: It does not make any real sense..as some bits not done..

Third thing: Why does the report look no different with the figures from my partners Rover 25?

Fourth thing: If it my new report pretty much matches the figures for my partners Rover...why is my road Tax now higher then hers ?

Does anyone know what is going on with all this..

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: MOT emission report...anyone understand it?

Chris, the emissions are more a message of engine wear and 'tunning' i.e., how much fuel your burning. I think the exhaust thing is more to do with noise level and also safety (a blown exhaust can allow carbon monoxide into the car). Therefore I would have expected your two emission reports to be similar. Not sure what you're getting at with your 'second thing', can you expand? As for 3 and 4, that's a good question, I'm totally confused by the current car tax system I'm afraid.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 15-05-06 Thread Starter

Gary,

2nd thing...

Its just when you read the data, things like RPM says 'not taken'

and other readings, off the top of my head can't tell you which ones..I think one was oil temp but not sure

It just seems so vague on what it is trying to achieve...

Just can't understand why I as a 2.0l owner I am being penalised, where there seems to be no bases to be penalised...if my car gives the same emission as a car of 1.4....

It seems to be calculated on the european emissions rules for the engine which are limits and not actual...(could be wrong, please feel free to point out how it is being done)

Surely I should be able to take my MOT in and say this is my emission and pay appropriately, and not by some look up chart which is pretty crude.

What annoys me most is that it seems you have no consumer rights...I got a reminder giving me a price of what I should pay...and then find out I need to pay more...how the ****** can they do that...nobody else could do that....Its like I have been gazumped.

Are the goverment now saying DVLA can issue reminders but the sum quoted is subject to change...or is just an estimate....because I am pretty sure there was nothing to support this....

If it were not for the fact I needed a Tax Disc, and didnt fancy getting pulled over by plod, and the increase although ****ing me off was not huge...but I feel a principle needs to be applied...so I may look into this a bit, and see if I can do something about it....

Chris
AO Silver Member

AFAIK, revs not taken means that they didn't hook up a calibrated rev counter, just assumed that the engine was idling reasonably. The limits are quite wide, so you're not likely to fail on it.

Same with oil temperature; I think it stems from not wanting to fail a car just because its cold, most garages let the engine warm up so its not an issue, especially if it passes anyway.

The emissions test measures CO2 concentration, as a 2.0L owner you are pulling more flow than a 1.4, so you put out more CO2 even though the concentration is the same.... and you are partially correct, for the last few years the tax bands of new cars has been set based upon the CO2 output of the model when new (I guess one of the type approval cars), rather than the actual output of individual cars at the time of MoT.

For ages reminders have had some comment to say something like the proce quoted on the reminder may change if the tax rates change.

...but I agree, its a rip off
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave
Same with oil temperature; I think it stems from not wanting to fail a car just because its cold, most garages let the engine warm up so its not an issue, especially if it passes anyway.
The car cannot be tested until the oil reaches a certain temperature.

wrinx

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinx
The car cannot be tested until the oil reaches a certain temperature.

wrinx
Ah, I didn't know that. How do they measure it? Do they stick something in the dipstick tube?

MOT stations have been using what is called the BET test- Basic Emissions Test. This is a basic test for testing catalyst equipped vehicles- do not confuse it with a non cat test.

The BET test passes vehicles which read less than 0.2%CO rather than the 0.3%CO of the catalyst default level. During this test, the oil temp is not necessarily measured; as temperature guage assesment, operation of cooling fan, or observation of hot heater hoses may be used to ascertain if the engine is warm.

The BET test was introduced as a quick way for MOT stations to test most CAT equipped cars simply because the vast majority pass. If the BET test is failed, then the MOT station would apply the vehicle specific limits or the default test if the exact vehicle details could not be found.

So far tax bands are worked out on car Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emission per kilometre. The MOT is only interested if the car can reach EU agreed limits, and threfore the tax bands do not discriminate against drivers of slightly older cars whose engines are likely not to run quite as clean as they did when new.

If we had a system of car tax bands based upon MOT emissions results, I think it would be abused quite badly

Hope that helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
emission , mot , reportanyone , understand

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page