Time to sell my 156 sw :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Cathar

Time to sell my 156 sw :(

Due to a change in needs and with heavy heart its time for my gorgeous 156sw to find a new home

Just wondering what I should be asking for her...She's a 1.8ts Met green sportwagon showing 92,000 miles with very tidy pepperpot alloys, full service history, cambelt 10k ago, taxed and new mot ( very good emissions at test )....everything works as it should including the load cover/ dog guard and all books and keys are present.

I know its not worth a kings ransom, but I'm not sure what to sensibly ask for her

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PropWarp

Ahhh bad times, A quick search on Autotrader should be able to give yourself a ball park figure, and if you feel the condition is that great then possibly add an additional few numbers into the price.

Sorry I cannot help further, but I hope it can assist

What has prompted the sale? if you don't mind me asking.

Cathar

My commute to work has doubled which was liveable with until my father became ill, which has resulted in alternate weekend trips to scotland with has meant shares in BP!!!!

So I have real need of a small efficient diesel unfortunately ( spelt DIEsel )

PropWarp

Eghhh sorry to hear of such circumstances.

What sort of budget come to mind with buying a diesel.

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Buy a 147/156 diesel you'll be used to the suspension components/quirks of the car and I get around 600 miles a tank!

Her is one that seems pretty similar to what you have described for £999 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 TS Lusso 5dr
Cathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Buy a 147/156 diesel you'll be used to the suspension components/quirks of the car and I get around 600 miles a tank!

Her is one that seems pretty similar to what you have described for £999 Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 TS Lusso 5dr

I have been considering ( OMG ) clio diesel and the like.... the 60+mpg is the main factor really.

That was kind of the price I was thinking of but you do see some at stupid prices...

.... I may just offer her up on here at a nice price for an enthusiast before throwing her to the wolves!

Cathar

If I had space to park another car theres now way in hell I'd even consider this..but I guess needs must sometimes.....uuggghhh

PropWarp

Here is one for you.......

Alfa 156 1.9JTD (150) 78000 on the clock - tank to tank on Tesco diesel managed to average 51.8 MPG and 780 miles per tank......... My car BTW... mostly motorway driving and the odd city drive and traffic sticking at speed between 70 and 80. That does include the odd spirited moment from 40mph upwards.

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
If I had space to park another car theres now way in hell I'd even consider this..but I guess needs must sometimes.....uuggghhh
Can you not lay it up at your father's house? Come back by train or if desperate bus. It is only the once.
Cathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropWarp View Post

Alfa 156 1.9JTD (150) 78000 on the clock - tank to tank on Tesco diesel managed to average 51.8 MPG and 780 miles per tank......... My car BTW... mostly motorway driving and the odd city drive and traffic sticking at speed between 70 and 80. That does include the odd spirited moment from 40mph upwards.

Would be nice but is a bit more than I want to spend right now really

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropWarp View Post

Is the tank bigger in the 156 than the 147?! I do a brim to red light and calculate the mpg I get 53-55 if on the motorway and driving like a saint, though normally around te 45-48 mark. My 600 mile figure is normally 280 motorway then the rest town.
PropWarp

Ermmm I have no idea, but to fill mine with the finest Diesel the land can offer usually sets me back about £85 to £88.

AO Silver Member

How much would you like to spend? Be weary of the 60mpg+ claimed figures of the clio. I find that the smaller the engine the more ambitious the claimed mpg. Say eg a clio <1.6 diesel claiming 60 will realistically give around 45-50. Whereas the 1.9 (especially the 8v) claims 48 combined and that is what I get, maybe 1-2mpg less.
PropWarp

Clio, really?? endless immobiliser faults etc.

AO Silver Member

The 156 tank is bigger. I was astounded you got 780 miles from a tank, the best I've ever got is 690 (brim to red light mind)

Still the jtd as an engine is very good IMO.
PropWarp

Not bad for a car from 2005

Change gear by 2000rpm, there is plenty of push left in 6th. Very Very capable car indeed.

Dare I say the JTD 150 engine is a peach

AO Silver Member

Mine is a 2005 as well. And ahhhh yes you have a 6th gear, it makes sense now. When I first got mine I always went to pull for a 6th gear. Must be great for economy on a motorway run.
PropWarp

It is great, Can do many hundreds of miles and the needle barely moves.

It does make one wonder why cars do not have a 6th gear, or at least have the ratio set up to adapt the 6th cog.

But sadly my motorway muncher will be on sale soon as I wont be doing the mileage any more

Cathar

I had a Citroen diesel years ago that ram on fumes, it was slowish and noisy but it was really efficient!
I didn't think try 156 was bad on juice @ 37/38 mpg average but it's just not good enough, and I can't justify a lot of cash on a car now as I may buy out my wife's lease car next year when it get replaced

PropWarp

Up date, had to shoot off out, just clicked onto 800miles lets see how far I can get

AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire
I have to agree the Clio diesel ain't all that, my mother in law has one , it's slow gutless and boring to drive.

My 156 on a run down to Spain did 800miles over on a tank!!
And that was fully laden and averging 85kph
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
I had a Citroen diesel years ago that ram on fumes, it was slowish and noisy but it was really efficient!
I didn't think try 156 was bad on juice @ 37/38 mpg average but it's just not good enough, and I can't justify a lot of cash on a car now as I may buy out my wife's lease car next year when it get replaced
Yes but *how* much do you want to spend?
Cathar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstcaralfa View Post
Yes but *how* much do you want to spend?
As little as humanly possible without buying a POS, I guess 1.5-2k absolute max if I really had to, as I've said its gonna be a 6-9 month temp that only has to provide stupidly cheap motoring so I may aswell save on insurance and tax while I'm at it.
Next year Swmbo's company lease car is up for replacement and if they offer us a good deal I might just buy that as we've had it from new.

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
I think if i was spending 1.5-2k i'd keep away from most things and go jap

Mazda MAZDA6 2.0d Sport [136] 5dr Full service history

Or maybe even something like a mondeo?
PropWarp

May the car hunt being

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , sell , time

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page