Taking a break - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 15-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2

Cry Like A Baby Taking a break

I love cars, Alfa Romeos in main but any sporty car. Problem is I am severely out of pocket due to my love for cars. I think I am going to sell the GT and then take a break from owning a car for a year. I only live a 15 minute bus ride from work and I can run home which is a bonus (I am not running there as up a massive hill and no showers at work ). My missus has a little Grande Punto which I can use for football, shops etc and it is a 1.2 so dead cheap to run. I know it will be tough but has anyone else ever taken a break from owning a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

I had a spell of borrowing the other half's car for a couple of difficult periods workwise. I survived but it wasn't very easy at times. Begging doesn't come naturally to me. Second time around we were also going through divorce and she owned two cars when I had none. Nevertheless she wouldn't let me use one to go to a vital interview and it cost me well over £120 on trains and cabs to get there. Not a happy time in my life - but I got rid of her and got the job so the outcome was fine

Good luck to you - you will save a lot of money of course. Have you thought about cycling?
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
I lasted two weeks
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 15-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
Have you thought about cycling?
You should see this hill

Sounds like you did the right thing in ditching the missus
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 15-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of1 View Post
I lasted two weeks
Ha ha will be interesting to see how long I last...got to keep the end sight in mind
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
I cycled for a year after divorce meant I lost the car. Was, with misty hindsight, a brilliant thing as a) it got me fit; and b) I had no cash.

Good for you!
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
I took a break in late 90's, We'd just got the 146 (registered in my wife's name, and she insured it with me as named driver)and I sold my (3rd) Uno 70SX. I used the bus for work, no problem. The shock came 3 years later, we were going to move out of the city and 2 cars were needed. With a Cinq Sporting on the horizon I checked insurance costs. I had lost all my no claims bonus, so ended up with massive premiums. I'd advise checking this and maybe taking 3rd party out on the Punto so you maintain a continuity of insurance.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 18-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf M. View Post
I took a break in late 90's, We'd just got the 146 (registered in my wife's name, and she insured it with me as named driver)and I sold my (3rd) Uno 70SX. I used the bus for work, no problem. The shock came 3 years later, we were going to move out of the city and 2 cars were needed. With a Cinq Sporting on the horizon I checked insurance costs. I had lost all my no claims bonus, so ended up with massive premiums. I'd advise checking this and maybe taking 3rd party out on the Punto so you maintain a continuity of insurance.
Ah good thinking
Durty dog

During my divorce i just took the car, got me in trouble but she could walk to work but i worked 30 odd miles away, hate that woman

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
break , taking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page