Alfa GTV Reliability - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

sir_leroy

Alfa GTV Reliability

Picking my Alfa up on Saturday , I have been bombarded with so many negative comments from friends work mates and family

It will be a rust bucket

it will keep breaking down

A nightmare to maintain

My regular mechanic ,just said why the **** you buying one of those?

Car s got 5 months mot 6 months tax recent engine build timing belt done oil spark plugs just done with recipts ARE FOLK just envious as its gonna be my 2nd car/toy ? I have an FTO currently thats been super reliable

Last edited by paintergirl; 12-10-13 at 12:25.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
Hi there Ignore the comments - I've had Alfas, old and new, for 7 years and had no problems at all.

It's A l f a, by the way I've changed your title and edited your post
PropWarp

As reliable as any other car in all honesty.

It is funny when a mechanic expects rust and oil dripping from the sump but is confronted with a clean underside and not once spec of rust............

Get it, sort it, drive it, enjoy it

sir_leroy

Lol school boy error ,I just thought what a BEAUTIFUL looking car and that was it ,never ever come accross so much negativity ,suppose its the stereo type ,the way I look at it the cars 15-16 yrs old and still going? Is it true the GTV is galvanized and rust proof?

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
They do tend to suffer a few niggles, especially if the car has been neglected.

However many other makes will be the same.

As for rust, they are not too bad for an Alfa of that era. Although check the floorpan for surface rust on the inner sills.

The 156 is the one that rusts badly from that period.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I've only had Alfas since 1982 and can quite honestly say the only issues I've ever encountered were just regular service needs, belts, pumps, coolers, arms/suspension etc and these were ony due to wear and tear as expected and not mechanical fault or failure. OK, sure, my early Sud and Sprint stage did involve some rot issues but no worse than friends who bought Mk1 Fiestas or Polos or even the 'sacred' Golf GTI.
As with any vehicle, keep on top all all these needs and enjoy.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
The GTV was galvanised, but as Symon suggests, the sills need to be checked. The plastic sill covers accumulate a fair amount of muck, so remove them and clean well underneath, also rear arches can be prone as dirt stays lodged behind the arch liners. Curiously, both my current 916's have developed blisters on the body just under the Pininfarina badges, (both sorted now), but it is difficult to know how this may have started.
sir_leroy

Thanks my mitsubishi fto had the same issues imported and not undersealed ,suppose if I keep on top of it should be ok ,fingers crossed .

AO Platinum Member

County: Limburg
Enjoy your new car mate - treat it well and it'll look after you.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_leroy View Post
Picking my Alfa up on Saturday , I have been bombarded with so many negative comments from friends work mates and family

It will be a rust bucket

it will keep breaking down

A nightmare to maintain

My regular mechanic ,just said why the **** you buying one of those?

Car s got 5 months mot 6 months tax recent engine build timing belt done oil spark plugs just done with recipts ARE FOLK just envious as its gonna be my 2nd car/toy ? I have an FTO currently thats been super reliable
For items 1, 2 and 3, I think I would put a tenner on the fact that not one of those people has ever owned an Alfa. Am I right?

The one thing you should do though, is make sure that you use a trusted Alfa mechanic (there will be plenty of recommendations on various lounges here on AO), so if you think your mechanic doesn't feel confident of working on an Alfa, it may be time to change to a new one.

Welcome to AO and Alfa ownership
PropWarp

To add to starkers comment, most garages will come across and Alfa Romeo and grumble at doing any more on them, WHY? well I put it down to laziness.

Unlike your average VW, Audi or BMW parts don't just simply come off, a mechanic will have to move the odd cable and battery bracket thus more work,, but honestly they are fine to work on but as long as you have found a peach or as close as a peach then no worries.

Get some images up, post the mileage etc etc.

But Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy, most people that have never owned an Alfa will always mock... And wrongly so.

sir_leroy

how do i upload images thanks ? And you are right none of them have owned an Alfa ,thanks!!1 family and friends and fto members were getting me super paranoid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqFHJF!FJGb)gn2qBSSre5sYpw~~60_58.JPG (24.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqZHJBoFJDdtUg0vBSSrerl1zQ~~60_12.jpg (39.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqRHJDgFIr3IO95GBSSres80Cw~~60_12.jpg (37.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqVHJE!FJ!(IlWPYBSSrep)RkQ~~60_58.JPG (31.4 KB, 15 views)

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Those people who haven't owned an Alfa and have also made negative comments are also just a wee bit jealous of a phase one Gtv

Twinspark right? It'll sound sweet from about 4,000 rpm onwards. I hope you enjoy it
sir_leroy

yup twin spark 2.0 didnt buy it for speed ,lol it was its looks for a bargain price

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
The GTV was galvanised, but as Symon suggests, the sills need to be checked. The plastic sill covers accumulate a fair amount of muck, so remove them and clean well underneath, also rear arches can be prone as dirt stays lodged behind the arch liners. Curiously, both my current 916's have developed blisters on the body just under the Pininfarina badges, (both sorted now), but it is difficult to know how this may have started.
They didn't galvanise the floor for some reason, same with the other Alfa's of that period.

However the corrosion protection applied at the Arese Plant where the GTV was built was far better than at the Pomigliano D'arco plant which built the 156, 147 and later the 159.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

There are a lot of cheap ones out there, I paid more for a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s and for a 4 wheel alignment* than I did for my 2nd Gtv....

* If you didn't know, the rear wheels are adjustable and should be adjusted before the fronts, so you will need to go to a place that does 4 wheel alignment.
sir_leroy

No Starkers I didnt know that ,infact I know nothing about the gtv s really was a inpulsive by of ebay ,than I rembered Top Gear going mad for them many moons ago still a great looking car

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
No Starkers I didnt know that ,infact I know nothing about the gtv s really was a inpulsive by of ebay ,than I rembered Top Gear going mad for them many moons ago still a great looking car
Excellent!

That's pretty much what I did, I looked at some 147s online, then I spotted a Gtv online near to me, thought "that looks nice", took it for a test drive, knowing nothing about the car(s), so I bought it.

Then I joined AO and read the horror stories in the Gtv and Spider lounge
PropWarp

And 5 years on has starkers looked back??

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Well I had two twinnies but managed to kill both of them and as I don't want to kill another one, I am thinking that I should go for a diesel - I think I do enough miles per week to justify the additional cost of fuel.
AO Platinum Member

Yes.. have a look at the floor pan. Most of the rest is galvanised. The beast is getting on a bit, so some corrosion is inevitable.. but it's not a bucket by any means.

Then there's the cam-belt and tensioner.. I'd stick a new ones on there if yours haven't been clearly done in the last 3 years/36,000 miles. And top up the oil to "MAX" and check the level every week until you worked out how often your car needs a top-up. Don't skimp here.

Otherwise, as you say.. it's just like any other 15 year old car. I don't know how the suspension, exhaust, brakes or electrical pieces (made by third party manufacturers), would know that they're fitted to an Alfa rather than anything else and so have to go wrong more often..?

I don't agree that Alfas are harder to work on than anything else. In my experience they're sometimes easier, though that might be from familiarity of tinkering with them for so long.. On the other hand.. your mechanic charges by the hour I guess... so what's he moaning about?

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
PropWarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkers View Post
Well I had two twinnies but managed to kill both of them and as I don't want to kill another one, I am thinking that I should go for a diesel - I think I do enough miles per week to justify the additional cost of fuel.
How much and when are you looking to buy a Diesel.

Would a 156 1.9 JTD (150) interest you??

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropWarp View Post
How much and when are you looking to buy a Diesel.

Would a 156 1.9 JTD (150) interest you??
About 11 months ago! Maybe in the region of £3,000

And possibly, yes - although with only two doors the GT does appeal more, what with there only being me and a laptop to transport for 9 out of 10 journeys.
sir_leroy

No m8 he always gives me a set price lucky really ,I am driving it back 6 hr journey should take oil with me than ?

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Quote:
No m8 he always gives me a set price lucky really ,I am driving it back 6 hr journey should take oil with me than ?
I reckon you should be fine but it would certainly be prudent to check the level before you go (topping up if necessary) and check it again before you use the car next time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , gtv , reliability

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page