new car(to me) buckled wheels. rights? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 11-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

alfa gt

new car(to me) buckled wheels. rights?

I have a small problem,(well I do not know if its a real problem yet).
Picked up my new to me car yesterday- Alfa gt and so far so good.

On the test drive before I bought the car I asked for a couple of things to be fixed, Gearbox selector bush and the wheels felt out of balance. The salesman told me that the car would be put into their workshop and a full service etc would be done and the 2 things I asked for would be sorted and the car would be ready to go through the pre booked mot for today.
I bought the car on that word.

When I picked the car up I noticed that the wheel unbalance was not as noticeable as on the test drive but still felt it wasn't quite right still. I decided that after the mot today(it passed) I would get the wheels balanced at my own cost, So I took the car up to my normal garage to be told that 3 of the wheels are buckled and they cant do anything with them. (2 have a slight buckle and 1 is quite bad)

Rung up the place I bought car from and salesman started to say that I had bought a used car and have to expect it not to be like new etc Which is the point I cut in to say that I had bought the car on his word that the wheel unbalance would be fixed.He asked for 10 minutes, He rung me back to tell me that they would ring me next week to get the car into their people to have a look at it which I feel is only fair.

Onto the problem. I know that there is no way you can fix the 3 wheels but I also understand that I bought a 06 car, Yes I do not expect it to be perfect,but I did expect it to come with balanced wheels.
What should I expect?

My thought is that to replace the 17inch wheels with new alfa wheels would be costly compared to the 4.1k cost of the car and maybe I should expect to pay a % of the cost?

Or do I say I am understanding of the cost and would be happy with a set of replica wheels if that is cheaper fix?

What % would be fair to expect to pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

You should pay nothing the car was delivered to you with faults you asked to be rectified
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 12-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

alfa gt

having looking into things,it seems there are a few places around me that are good at alloy wheel refebs. Will give them a call on monday and ask the dealer i bought the car from to pay some towards the cost.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Here's a question. How did they getbuckled. From past experience the only way I ever got a buckled wheel was in an accident. They must have been used very hard to get buckled so is there any other damage to the car?

County: Cork
Garage
Bad roads & potholes seem to be capable of doing plenty of damage to alloys

Are they the 17" multispokes ? They have a bit of a reputation for getting buckled easily, as do the 17" Ti alloys on the 147/156.

Last edited by David P; 13-10-13 at 12:38.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brispencer View Post
Here's a question. How did they getbuckled. From past experience the only way I ever got a buckled wheel was in an accident. They must have been used very hard to get buckled so is there any other damage to the car?
Pot holes in todays roads are more than capable of buckling or even splitting a alloy rim. A steel wheel is actually stronger....

Lee
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Mazda 6

Yeah I had a Gt with buckled wheels too.
Some alloys are softer than others, but it's worth checking around the car for accident damage (I guess you might have already done that) It's true, the general poor condition of our roads these days is exasperating the situation of soft wheels, but I think if the garage you purchased the vehicle off did agree to sort the "balance" issue regardless of the actual fault, the onus is on them to deliver on their promise.
AO Platinum Member

I've had loads of wheels (17" usually) KIA. The inner rim is unsupported and if it gets clouted, the wheel gets ovalised.

Yer average wheel repairer can fix this but if the spoke is twisted at the same time (more than likely) then the wheel can't be fixed since the rim is now going round in a different plane to the hub.

The only answer is a new set of wheels, unfortunately. I dunno how much a set costs... probably $%$ but if the seller is an Alfa dealer he'll get them at wholesale cost, so it's not soooooo painful. You could make a contribution, since you're getting a better car out of it.. but it depends on what those wheels cost. I suspect the sales guy might not make any commission this month...

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
I doubt an Alfa dealer would be selling a 7 year old car.
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
Wouldn't risk a repair on a buckled alloy. Better to get a new set or see what the dealer is prepared to do. A buckled alloy is also likely to have hairline cracks.
crazycarb

I had a great "unbuckle" at my local tyre place last year. They have a special machine, it did well and the wheel is fixed just fine.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
buckled , carto , rights , wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page