What Do I Do With My 275,000 Mile 156 Pride and Joy? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
What Do I Do With My 275,000 Mile 156 Pride and Joy?

Guys,

Next week i'm picking up my new Alfa but the question is:

'What do I do with my current 156 Veloce SW"?

I have owned it from new, done every one of those 275,000 miles, cherished it, loved it, cared for it and had it serviced it meticulously.

It has 25 Alfa Main Dealer Service Stamps in the book, still runs on the original engine, gear box, clutch and exhaust.

Sentimental reasons won't let me stick it on Ebay.

I'm even thinking of contacting Alfa Europe to see if they would like to buy it back from me to strip it to see why the various components have lasted so long.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
I don't have an answer for you but just want to say that is mightily impressive

Worth a mail with some pics to the popular car blogs perhaps (jalopnik, autoblog, etc) which, if published, may help the brand. Then Alfa may be keener to get it back
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I don't have an answer for you but just want to say that is mightily impressive

Worth a mail with some pics to the popular car blogs perhaps (jalopnik, autoblog, etc) which, if published, may help the brand. Then Alfa may be keener to get it back
It has already appeared in Auto Italia and on The Cloverleaf Website but that was back when it had done a mere quarter of a million miles!
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
I don't think you should be allowed to get rid at all.

In fact, if you had been brought up properly in the first place, you would know that you can't have a new Alfa until you've finished your old one.

Glad we've sorted that out.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Brill, dont go near ebay with it. Put it in a glass case
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Its an impressive mileage. However doubt Alfa would buy it back. The engine the twin spark is largely redundent and not more R&D is going on with it. So unless they just wanted to look for a keep sake to see how things have worn as a project I doubt they would be that interested.

Think you should probably just keep it. You never know one day you might need it. It won't be worth anything now so i would probably hold onto it for emotional sake rather than monetry value.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
If you are still doing space shuttle mileages, I'd keep it and try and limit the mileage on the new one. High mileage kills the value of a car - if you are racking up 30K a year, then to most people the car is dead after 3 years.

If you are not doing big mileages, then sell it to someone on here who will look after it. Is it a diesel or a V6? My brother in law is after something diesel and Alfa shaped, and the 147s he has been looking at are ropey and overpriced.
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
If you are still doing space shuttle mileages, I'd keep it and try and limit the mileage on the new one. High mileage kills the value of a car - if you are racking up 30K a year, then to most people the car is dead after 3 years.

If you are not doing big mileages, then sell it to someone on here who will look after it. Is it a diesel or a V6? My brother in law is after something diesel and Alfa shaped, and the 147s he has been looking at are ropey and overpriced.
To be honest the reason I am retiring it is because I cannot afford to it to let me down while on one of my space shuttle journeys so what I may do is use the new Alfa for the long important journeys and the 156 for the shorter ones.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
I always liked concept that "unique" forums such as this had one or two donor cars that could be allocated in situations where owners cars were facing extended stays in the garage for repairs or waiting for parts/cash.
As with all nice ideas, easy to describe, difficult to implement.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIEVEL77 View Post
Guys,

It has 25 Alfa Main Dealer Service Stamps in the book, still runs on the original engine, gear box, clutch and exhaust.
Don't know about the car, but sticking with Alfa dealers for so long deserves a special commendation for persistence in the face of adversity

Seem to remember there was a story a few years ago about VW buying back an old Golf to find out why it had lasted so long. No chance AR would ever be that sensible!

After all this time you just have to keep it, if only as a family pet
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Its not really going to be worth anything to sell, except a few hundred quid perhaps. I'd keep it as a spare car.

What makes you think it will soon let you down? Which particular parts of the car are you suspect about?
AO Gold Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:

.....to see why the various components have lasted so long.

Any thoughts?
Im not sure of your driving style Julian, but Id hazard a good guess that its the opposite of my driving style
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Im not sure of your driving style Julian, but Id hazard a good guess that its the opposite of my driving style
second that
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Volvo S90

Keep it, see how far it can go. It won't be worth anything to sell and people will be put off with the mileage.
AO Platinum Member

Keep it... though as soon as you stop using it, it'll all seize up!

I've got the same dilemma with my '55... though it was quite leggy when I bought it (on the basis that "Alfa unreliability" was a myth and I was going to prove it...... so there! ) and it's racked up 221,000 miles now... though being a v6 that's not such a big deal maybe, as a T.Spark doing it.

The beast has gobbled up a mountain of consumable parts over the years.. and I've had the odd breakdown (TDC sensor, a split fuel hose and a hose disconnected itself inside the fuel pump - reattached to sort it) but apart from the head gaskets, the motore is "as from the factory".

I'm most impressed that (somehow) the rear dampers have not worn out (Boge) and the number of things I see going wrong on other cars just haven't affected my car. One pair of front wishbones.. just 2 wheel bearings and one rear swing-arm bearing in all that time. Wiper motor and those "square" wiper arms for instance, are all orig'.

"Most likely to die" used to be the radiatore... since he was peeking out through the bottom of the grille but when I put the second replacement in there I fitted some alu' mesh across the slot and the 3rd rad (as it is) still looks pristine...

Now on Purple Heart Corner is the fog- and headlamps. I've become a fan of those little perspex covers (official accessory) that I have on the '45... (headlamp glass immaculate) whereas '55 never had any and I've lost 2 lenses and a foggie to motorway shrapnel..

Oh.. and the second windscreen also has a dent in it.. It's pretty nasty out there.

At the moment I have a rear brake bias problem and shagged rear sub-frame (collapsed/rusted bump-stop) so I procured a Fiat Coupe sub-frame and a set of bushes (part Multipla, part old-Bravo) to replace the bushes..

Just waiting for autumn to dismantle that back-end.. (The Younger Mrs S. will excuse me from DIY and household maintenance tasks.. ) fit new brake pipes, bearings and any other part I can still get.. and keep the beast going. I don't know why anyone else would want it.. nor would they know what to do with it...

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #17 of 20 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its not really going to be worth anything to sell, except a few hundred quid perhaps. I'd keep it as a spare car.

What makes you think it will soon let you down? Which particular parts of the car are you suspect about?
It let me down twice recently 400 miles from home on the same journey and had to get it low loaded to a garage and had to spend a night in a hotel while it was repaired.

I quite simply cannot afford to be late to a job because of my car and everyone knows i've got the oldest car of anyone that does my job and mileage and felt that as my car is effectively a tool of my trade I needed to upgrade to a newer one.
(Post Link) post #18 of 20 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
It let me down twice recently 400 miles from home on the same journey and had to get it low loaded to a garage and had to spend a night in a hotel while it was repaired.

I quite simply cannot afford to be late to a job because of my car and everyone knows i've got the oldest car of anyone that does my job and mileage and felt that as my car is effectively a tool of my trade I needed to upgrade to a newer one.
What went wrong? 156 Twinsparks seem so simple these days, with a little bit of servicing and preventative maintenence there should be no reason for parts to just simply fail and let you down.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
What went wrong? 156 Twinsparks seem so simple these days, with a little bit of servicing and preventative maintenence there should be no reason for parts to just simply fail and let you down.
Rear wheel bearing (mind you it WAS still in it's original) and corroded front brake pipes.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
000 , 156 , 275 , joy , mile , pride

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page