Moving to London from Ireland - is it worth it bringing my beloved 156? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 28-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Moving to London from Ireland - is it worth it bringing my beloved 156?

As it says on the tin.

I'm about to start a new job and was looking into bringing my Alfa over with me.

I actually imported it from the UK a couple of years ago so I could be bringing her back home
so to speak

I know I'll have to register it with the DVLA and obviously tax and insure it.

It's a 2003 Alfa 156 1.9 JTD with only 56,000 miles on the clock approx.

I love the car and it's never let me down, the mpg is incredible.

On the current used market in Ireland, I could probably get maybe 1500 at most for her.

I did some googling today and I could probably pick up a new (secondhand) Alfa over there
for maybe a grand, so I might be able to come out with a few quid in my pocket to put towards tax / servicing etc.

Was just wondering if anyone has on here has done similar and what your opinion might be on it.

Worth holding on to and going through the paperwork or should I cash in and go car shopping again?

Cheers

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

The only thing I'm thinking is, given the price of the cars you are looking at, is it better to keep your car if you know it to be issue free? There could be a fair amount of hidden issues to be fixed on a car for 1000.

Though of course if you're really good at spotting issues you may be able to avoid most of these. But you never know for sure.

Just thinking that if your car is well sorted it may be worth the comfort of knowing you've got a solid one that you don't really need to worry about.

Brat Pack no.8
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 28-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks mate, yeah I was thinking same but I'd probably try and buy from a reputable garage or from someone private who looks like they might be an Alfa enthusiast. Maybe something will pop up on here.

For now it's just an idea though hence the thread.
Awaiting Email Conf

Member car:

Quattroporte

As CF says. If you know the car you would be mad to sell and try to find similar. 156s are getting leggy now and it's difficult to find a good one, especially such a low mileage one.

The costs of selling (advertising, sorting out little jobs) and buying (visiting cars all over the country and getting a reputable service done once purchased) far outweigh any potential saving you will make.

Also, keep it on Irish plates as long as you can; you never know, you might not hack it over here and it gives you one less thing to deal with if you decide to move back. The actual process of re-importing it here is very easy, and in fact it will even get its old number returned to it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
156 , beloved , bringing , ireland , london , moving , worth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page