Heavy Metal Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Heavy Metal Alfa

I have had my 147 for a few weeks and really love it. Now I am looking for more power. Any other Alfa has to be auto/selespeed because of my ankle.
So looking at ads for Brera V6 Q4 - only one or 2 Qmatics, nice, but sooo heavy. Nearly 1800 kg. More than a Jaguar XKR. So with "only" 260bhp, it is a bit slow IMHO.
The 147 is no lightweight at 1250kg, compared to a Clio, say, at 1050kg. I took out the stuff I don't use from the 147. Back seat 30kg - really! Stereo / amp/ subwoofer / speakers 10kg. Other odds and sods 10kg. So that's 50 kg saved. Now for fibreglass bumpers, and bonnet. Front seats weigh 29kg each. So 2 decent Bride seats at 6kg.

Add lightness, eh?

Anyway, my main point is why are these cars so heavy? I know modern cars have loads of stuff for safety etc - but the Alfas seem heavy compared to their competition.

Any sporting car needs to be around 180/200 bhp per ton. Super performance comes at around 300/350 per ton. Perhaps the 4C addresses this.

Be most interested in your thoughts - apart from those accusing me of being a pedant/ocd about weight etc!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

OCD about weight and driving a Ranger Rover?
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 25-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
OCD about weight and driving a Ranger Rover?
Very funny! I should say, about my sport / fun cars. Hence the Esprit I used to own. The Lotus Europa I still have - 200 bhp / 700kg. Jaguar Kougar 300+ BHP and around 1100kg. Even my 1948 ford Fi truck 400BHP and 1800kg.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

Completely get where you're coming from. Alfas are dynamically flawed from the off; front-wheel drive and heavy.

I think they're more about style and a fun drive rather than out and out performance.
AO Platinum Member

The 4c is a good move to lightness following on from the Giulietta which has many alloy bits in the suspension etc and better rigidity than the cars that preceded it. Also , the petrol engines are much lighter than the diesels.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , heavy , metal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page