Insurance help needed please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Insurance help needed please.

Guys,
I have a multicar policy with Admiral.
I currently have my 156 SW on there at £395.
BUT
I wanted to add a 147 and they've quoted me £900 just for the 147.
What is going on and what can I do about it?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Get the 147 on a separate policy with another company (others now do multi car). When the 156s insurance is up with Admiral, move that onto the other one...

Never use Admiral again
(Post Link) post #3 of 31 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post
Get the 147 on a separate policy with another company (others now do multi car). When the 156s insurance is up with Admiral, move that onto the other one...

Never use Admiral again

What worries me about going elsewhere is that in the last 12 months I have had 2 non fault claims which they always ask you about!
AO Member

County: Wiltshire

Member car:

916 gtv v6 x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR View Post

Never use Admiral again
100 percent agreement with above, Admiral will jack your premiums on renewal anyway.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Try Primo multicar. I've got four cars on the policy, all fully comp and me and my wife to drive £875.00 and two are V6's.
(Post Link) post #6 of 31 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Try Primo multicar. I've got four cars on the policy, all fully comp and me and my wife to drive £875.00 and two are V6's.
Thanks AJ, i've not heard of them.

I'll look them up.
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
Non fault claims shouldn't effect your premiums too much

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNIEVEL77 View Post
Guys,
I have a multicar policy with Admiral.
I currently have my 156 SW on there at £395.
BUT
I wanted to add a 147 and they've quoted me £900 just for the 147.
What is going on and what can I do about it?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
The problem with most of the multicar policies out there is that they don't do a 'mirrored' NCD. So long as each car is registered to a different driver (at the same address of course), then each car/driver attracts their own no-claims discount. However as soon as 1 driver has more than 1 car registered to them it all goes pear-shaped as they only get the NCD for the 1st car and effectively pay full premium (although you'll probably still get the multicar discount) for any others in their name, just as would happen if you took out individual policies for each car.

Primo (as recommended by AnthonyJohn), and a very few others, are the exception in that they acknowledge that if there are more cars than drivers in a household, you can't drive all your cars at the same time and so your NCD is mirrored i.e. it applies to all the cars on the policy irrespective of who owns what. Hope that makes sense?

For Info & enquiries e-mail
[email protected]

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Primo noted for next time. Thanks folks.
(Post Link) post #10 of 31 Old 20-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
I went to my local broker who quoted me over £1000 for the 147, I got Admiral down to £691 and then decided to try the Alfa Romeo Owners Club Insurance broker and...................bingo!

£340 for the 147 and £306 for the 156 on separate policies.
AO Member

Admiral jacked my sons policy by £120 when someone tapped his rear bumper. cost of painting the bumper £225 paid by the taxi company but they still increased his policy
moved to direct line multicar and saved £380 for my three Alfas and my sons 75

direct line stated that they don't load for no fault accidents.
(Post Link) post #12 of 31 Old 20-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalfa View Post
Admiral jacked my sons policy by £120 when someone tapped his rear bumper. cost of painting the bumper £225 paid by the taxi company but they still increased his policy
moved to direct line multicar and saved £380 for my three Alfas and my sons 75

direct line stated that they don't load for no fault accidents.
Yep, i'm in no doubt my premiums were higher than they should be because of my no fault incident!

AROC Insurance said they don't load for that sort of thing either!
(Post Link) post #13 of 31 Old 21-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

So after all of that the trader who was selling me the 147 has just called me to say that the PDI check has shown up serious crash damage so the deal is off!

At least I got my 156 insurance down by £!00!
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
The problem with most of the multicar policies out there is that they don't do a 'mirrored' NCD. So long as each car is registered to a different driver (at the same address of course), then each car/driver attracts their own no-claims discount. However as soon as 1 driver has more than 1 car registered to them it all goes pear-shaped as they only get the NCD for the 1st car and effectively pay full premium (although you'll probably still get the multicar discount) for any others in their name, just as would happen if you took out individual policies for each car.

Primo (as recommended by AnthonyJohn), and a very few others, are the exception in that they acknowledge that if there are more cars than drivers in a household, you can't drive all your cars at the same time and so your NCD is mirrored i.e. it applies to all the cars on the policy irrespective of who owns what. Hope that makes sense?
I have a multicar policy with Aviva. Both cars in insured in my name and both have their own NCD carried over from previous single policies with other companies. Only snag is Aviva work on 5 years and the NCDs were both 8 years when I transfered. However Aviva have registered the 8 years and say that they will confirm this if/when I want o transfer away.

County: West Lothian
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
I have a multicar policy with Aviva. Both cars in insured in my name and both have their own NCD carried over from previous single policies with other companies. Only snag is Aviva work on 5 years and the NCDs were both 8 years when I transfered. However Aviva have registered the 8 years and say that they will confirm this if/when I want o transfer away.
I think it no doubt helped that you already had an NCD on each car in their own right. Aviva were a bit 'sticky' with me when I wanted to add an additional car to an existing (2 drivers/1 car each) multicar policy a few years back and would only offer an introductory bonus on the extra car - 30% if memory serves me correctly. As they would match my existing NCD for all the cars, I went with RSA instead - BIG mistake! The following year when the renewal came in, the premium had gone up from around £440 to £3950 - that's not a typo, they wanted to get out of the multicar business so just quoted stupid figures. I'd gone to them with 28 years NCD (Aviva had confirmed this to their credit, ) but RSA would only confirm that I had 5+, , so it cost me an extra £30 or so with my new insurer when I couldn't prove the much higher NCD entitlement, .

As an aside, Primo phoned me back this morning with a quote for my good lady and me on our 2 Alfas and the TR8 plus my proposed addition of a Lotus Evora to the 'fleet', and it's only £78 more than I'm paying for the existing 3 with our current insurer. Nice one, .
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Have a look at General Insurance. That's who I'm with. Quoted me £6.7k which ain't cheap, until you consider it was gonna cost me that for a Fiesta. This is with 0ncb & I'd only held my license for a month. They massively undercut the competition, for me at least.
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Looky Looky

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrunt View Post
Have a look at General Insurance. That's who I'm with. Quoted me £6.7k which ain't cheap, until you consider it was gonna cost me that for a Fiesta. This is with 0ncb & I'd only held my license for a month. They massively undercut the competition, for me at least.
6.7k what is your 156?! And how much did you shop around? I thought my 147 at 2.5k was bad my first year!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Seriously £6700/year for insurance? I really would take the bus or taxi, even walk.

Out of the 16 cars I have owned to date only five have cost more than £6700 to buy!!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Off Topic

Actually that post above made me think. I have had 5 company/lease cars which I of course never owned and did not include.
In 32 years of driving I have owned only 16 cars, one every two years but I currently own 4 of that 16 today
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I think if you dont actually make the effort and move insurance company every year ... then you get hit with increased policy prices... Its a fairly standard "marketing " technique they all seem to deploy.

I just added my sons first car along to admiral for my first attempt at multi-car policy... Cost for him in a Citroen C2 was £565.00 its his first car, he is 19 and just passed his test 12 months ago. So thats not too bad I think. That also enables his sister, and his aged parents to drive it also.

I have to add my mighty Doblo to it in December which works out at £35.00 less than the AA charged me this year. (£140) ...

Strange that the best quote I could get for him after he passed his test was £1400! and that was for a sub 1 litre car! He has not driven at all since passing his test! so for some reason it is a lot cheaper ... I think the EU law has made a difference ...
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmunn View Post
I think if you dont actually make the effort and move insurance company every year ... then you get hit with increased policy prices... Its a fairly standard "marketing " technique they all seem to deploy.

I just added my sons first car along to admiral for my first attempt at multi-car policy... Cost for him in a Citroen C2 was £565.00 its his first car, he is 19 and just passed his test 12 months ago. So thats not too bad I think. That also enables his sister, and his aged parents to drive it also.

I have to add my mighty Doblo to it in December which works out at £35.00 less than the AA charged me this year. (£140) ...

Strange that the best quote I could get for him after he passed his test was £1400! and that was for a sub 1 litre car! He has not driven at all since passing his test! so for some reason it is a lot cheaper ... I think the EU law has made a difference ...
You're right the EU Law has made a difference. I got my provisional at 17 but didn't pass my test until 20 (never needed to as was only going to 6th form around the corner) so saved up for my Alfa and still paid a lot for it. But now when I get a quote they take into account I have had my license say for 5.5 years but only been driving 2.5 and that apparently makes a difference. Hopefully should be less than £500 when I come to renew in April!

Shopping around is crucial, and also looking into a multicar with my dad as it works out cheaper. My first renewal was 2300 from Aviva, shopped around and got that down to 1100 in a matter of about 15 minutes. Same with my mum, her AA renewal is 385, went on comparison site and found better cover for just 187!

If you don't shop around, you will get shafted.
AO Member

Yep, 6.7k.
It's only a baby 1.6 with an agreed value of £1k.
It's because of the BB3 postcode, 'cause insurers have had problems with that crash-for-cash thing up in Blackburn.
Shopped around as much as possible before buying and it was either I pay that (which like I said is reaaaally cheap considering most insurers wanted ~12k off me for a 1 litre Micra. Yes £12,000.) or I get one of those black box things. It's an Alfa, no thanks...
The cheap insurance did manage to make me able to justify an Alfa though, so it's not all bad. I'm hoping that my next years premium is around half of what I'm paying now.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Yep, 6.7k.
It's only a baby 1.6 with an agreed value of £1k.
It's because of the BB3 postcode, 'cause insurers have had problems with that crash-for-cash thing up in Blackburn.
Shopped around as much as possible before buying and it was either I pay that (which like I said is reaaaally cheap considering most insurers wanted ~12k off me for a 1 litre Micra. Yes £12,000.) or I get one of those black box things. It's an Alfa, no thanks...
The cheap insurance did manage to make me able to justify an Alfa though, so it's not all bad. I'm hoping that my next years premium is around half of what I'm paying now.
If possible, stick your mum on the insurance as a named driver. Will get your premium right down, get her to use it every now and then, this way you're being honest to your insurance and in your case you could save £1000s. Everyone's a winner.
AO Member

I take it (given your username) that your first car was an Alfa? Haha.

I hadn't thought of that, might look into it, only problem is that my mum's a terrifying driver and has like 2 years ncb. You wanna see her car, if she treated mine like that I'd cry.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I take it (given your username) that your first car was an Alfa? Haha.

I hadn't thought of that, might look into it, only problem is that my mum's a terrifying driver and has like 2 years ncb. You wanna see her car, if she treated mine like that I'd cry.
Was, and 2 and half years later, still is and believe me my mum is the worst driver I know but insurance companies work to stupid logarithms. They see it as 'a nice lady' driving the car and this much more safe than 'a newly qualified death trap driving past schools at 187mph all day, every day'

The reasoning behind it saving you money is that by having your mum on the insurence, you will drive the car less, and therefore not crash it onto everything in sight.

Your quote of 6.7k basically says that you will write your car off almost 7 times this year (going off the agreed value of 1k) which is ridiculous.

I let my mum drive to the supermarket and back, which is a 2 mile round trip and I'm always on the car with her. Saved me between 23 and 31% on my renewals, which in your case is a massive wod of cash.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
insurance , needed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page