Is the guilietta a real alfa? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 82 Old 25-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Is the guilietta a real alfa?

Those who’ve had a few alfas will know what I mean by what an alfa is.. a car you love to hate.. or hate to love im not sure! Is the guilietta a REAL alfa?
I really feel the only alfas left that are fairly new are the GT and 157.. the rest are just rebadged fiats… is that unfair? Seeing my mates very nice 157 on an AA truck made me realise, that’s my next car to get… its still go that crippling soul…. Yet im seeing hundreds of mitos and guilettas driven by people who don’t know what a cambelt does…
Im eying up my next car now im seeing the cracks in my 156, im just waiting for the ‘big bang’ on both the 156 and our 147… you know the ‘write off’ failure… in fact I think the 147 will live longer as it seems a generation ahead… although the cambelt’s due…

Anyway, and I guess this is a very wishy washy spiritual thing, but are there any Alfas left? Or should I get a Vauxhall now all cars appear to be the same dull crap in the hope for reliability

================================================== ==========
04 156 1.9 JTD 16v 140 Dark blue Veloce 110k
54 147 1.9 JTD 16v 140 Silver Lusso 115k - WRITTEN OFF

Some swear by their Alfa, I swear at mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
This has been discussed here before ,so here's one thread
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-floorpan.html
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
I think pretty much everything in your post is wrong.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbat View Post
I think pretty much everything in your post is wrong.
Next we will be questioning the spelling of Gulietta and when was the 157 introduced?
There are people accusing the Giulietta of being unreliable and now it would appear that this disqualifies it from being an Alfa. Or should I say *****?
(Post Link) post #5 of 82 Old 25-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Everything alfa produce, right now is all race leanred thorough bred?
Sticker still on the window saying "these are race engine, top up your oil" etc.?

I guess the title should read, are modern alfas, real alfas

County: Cork
Garage
I've never seen an Alfa 157 or Guilietta

So they probably aren't real Alfas

Edit : too late
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

I think your getting confused. The replacement for the 156 was the 159 (not 157). In answer to your question I suggest you try the Mito and The Giulietta for yourself. IOm my experience the reality of an Alfa is about driving, not reliability. If it IS the latter, both my 156 and GT have been lying to me
I've also driven both 'new' models and, by my reckoning, they are very much real Alfas. Neither of them are built on a Fiat chase and both handle like I expect from the marque. The only down side, as you rightly point out, is that they have the Fiat design style, but, not enough for me to say I don't like them. Everytime I see a Giulietta I think it looks more and more like an Alfa, so, maybe, we just have to move with the times.
Are they more reliable?? All evidence, so far, generally suggests they are. I sthat a problem?

(Post Link) post #8 of 82 Old 25-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

sorry, of course, 159 - im half asleep, damn hot weather!

Well, i hope so.. i want to continue this trend... i want a guillietta, with some reveiws saying its got wooly feedback from the steering, i want to be sure im buying something special for my pain.
Otherwise, I may aswell get an astra as thats whaty everyone says it looks like
AO Platinum Member

If its the steering feedback concerning you , don't take the journalists word for it, drive one!
I find it pretty good compared to the current Focus and fantastic against the Mito. You'll find electric steering different at first to hydraulic but a good one is actually fine. The Giulietta has a twin pinion system to give it feel and the DNA switch makes it heavier on D setting.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Ive only driven 1 Giulietta, but, it didn't have wooly steering feedback IMO. I driven far worse. If I was in the market for a replacement for my GT, I'd be very keen on the Giuly
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyPete View Post
Everything alfa produce, right now is all race leanred thorough bred?
Sticker still on the window saying "these are race engine, top up your oil" etc.?

I guess the title should read, are modern alfas, real alfas
Well, to pick on two things...

Your 156 is a rebadged Fiat, something you can say about any recent Alfa, except ironically the 159 which is some sort of rebadged GM abortion, and the Giulietta which at least was first on the platform. Of course, this is nonsense and doesn't matter in the slightest. Every single one is a good car in some way or other.

What 'write off failure' are you waiting for? Why don't you do the necessary preventative maintenance?
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

If its got an Alfa Badge. Its an Alfa.

With every new generation of cars the old ones seem better. More charaterful. More about the brand etc etc.

Fact is that is what they are making now and they still have that soul that everyone craves.
They just do it in a slightly different way.
I'm sure in 5-6 years time I'll be in a G. I think they look fantastic and I'm sure they drive lovely.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
I'm sure in 5-6 years time I'll be in a G. I think they look fantastic and I'm sure they drive lovely.
In my experience yes they do

You know of course that the 159 platform was a joint design between FIAT and GM but GM dropped out early in the development to concentrate on their Epsilon platform. As nobody else took up the 159 platform it can be rightly claimed as an Alfa Romeo-only product, even if it was not their finest hour.
You could even say that the Giulia (if it continues to the original plan) is on a Dodge platform because the Dart was the first to use the stretched and widened version.

Platform and engine sharing is a fact of life in the modern car industry.
(Post Link) post #15 of 82 Old 25-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Lets just say, my 17 failures, and RAC refusing to pick me up anymore, Ive got a few alfa grey hairs, reventitive or not, it loves to sting like a good curry...

If the gilly acts like an alfa but behaves itself too, im all for it!
AO Platinum Member

Having bought my giuletta I'm hoping its a while before its cheaper to get another than to get the timing belt changed!

County: Distrito Federal
giulietta an alfa?

I own a 147 & an Giulietta CV. I love my 147 and for the Giulietta "x" .... no soul.
I am thinking to change the Giulietta, I was thinking in a Toyota RAV 4 but now there is an opportunity to go fot a 159 Ti.... so for me Giulietta does not have"alfa´s" soul or hearth.
Let me tell you in Mexico in 1 and 1/2 years I had own the Giulietta I had only see one in the street ¡¡ people look my Giulietta, take pictures, go back and ask; for the 147 I see one every 3 months¡¡ no as good looking for people as Giu, but for drivind I love the sound of the engine in the 147 but in the Giu "x"..no sound, no soul...just a very nice looking car.
Am I doing wrong to go for the 159 Ti (have not seen one never in Mexico, only one time a JTS).
Why 2? because ALfa ROmeo service (manage by Chrysler) is so bad that half year I have one car in "service" (that is why Toyota is in my mind, some times I get very mad for the terrible mechanicall service).
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

M140i

The G.'s an all right car I suppose, Meh!..

Still love the 156, even after all these years.. A 156 with a twin scroll variable geometry turbo. Now that sounds saucy, hmm!.. Next project maybe? HAHAH!..
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
he G can't be a real Alfa because it doesn't break down? Really?
AO Member

County: Fife
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
If its got an Alfa Badge. Its an Alfa.
Unless it's on an 80s Datsun Cherry, that took platform sharing a step to far.
AO Member

you are all fiat owners the last real Alfa was a 75!!!!
but that makes me a fiat owner
I think I'll shut up now
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
The Giulietta is a real Alfa to anyone who wants the brand to survive. It's not a real Alfa if the only real Alfa is at least 20 years old and features no modern styling or innovation.
Without the Mito and Giulietta there would be no 4C. Without making far better quality and handling cars than they did 20 years ago, there would be no Alfa Romeo.
The attitude of some owners of older models shows that they have no desire for Alfa to be successful. Is a 156 owner who hates modern Alfas without driving them a real Alfa Owner? Definitely NOT.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Find me on flickr: PSJ_Picdump
My comments are just my words - it's your mind that finds the meaning you want to find.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
well my 159 ti is a proper alfa. Have had it for nearly 4 years now because I was adamant I had to have an Alfa for their centenary and my 40th birthday. On my 40th birthday it broke down and my missus found me taking pictures of it being towed away with a big grin on my face.

'What the hell are you so happy about - it's broken down and you wanted an Alfa for when you were 40?' - 'you don't understand love because it's broken down for my 40th I really did get a proper Alfa!!!!!'. ps it's behaved pretty well for the 3 years since - 3 next week.
AO Member

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
The Giulietta is a real Alfa to anyone who wants the brand to survive. It's not a real Alfa if the only real Alfa is at least 20 years old and features no modern styling or innovation.
Without the Mito and Giulietta there would be no 4C. Without making far better quality and handling cars than they did 20 years ago, there would be no Alfa Romeo.
The attitude of some owners of older models shows that they have no desire for Alfa to be successful. Is a 156 owner who hates modern Alfas without driving them a real Alfa Owner? Definitely NOT.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
Whose that aimed at? Personally I had a 170 JTDM, just didn't like it in the end sorry!..

In a few years time when USA tastes have influenced all Alfas built from now, and we get confused by MOPAR being written on the spares boxes, we will all look back and say that the Giulietta was the LAST "real" Alfa

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , guilietta , real

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page