The end of the affordable alfa? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 22-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta QV

The end of the affordable alfa?

This article in the paper today:

Alfa Romeo MiTo and Giulietta to be scrapped

Where would we be without the poor-man's Maserati/Ferrari?

If this is true, I wouldn't be expecting much form a Giulietta facelift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
I'm guessing the price of alfas will go up into BMW/Audi territory, like they used to be in the early nineties/late eighties.
AO Member

County: Wellington
Every report I could find on the web related to Alfa's supposed dropping of FWD vehicles seems to tie back to the article by Georg Kacher in the UK Car magazine. I wonder, did he have a private audience with Sergio Marchionne or did it all come to him in a dream?
Marchionne is a very smart man. If he plans to ultimately drop the Giulietta and Mito he is unlikely to do so before he has a replacement, which won't be by 2015!
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
Quote:
Originally Posted by wudzi View Post
Every report I could find on the web related to Alfa's supposed dropping of FWD vehicles seems to tie back to the article by Georg Kacher in the UK Car magazine. I wonder, did he have a private audience with Sergio Marchionne or did it all come to him in a dream?
Marchionne is a very smart man. If he plans to ultimately drop the Giulietta and Mito he is unlikely to do so before he has a replacement, which won't be by 2015!
Agreed.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

GQV TCT

They obviously don't remember what a massive success the 166 was?

Why bite the hand that feeds you? I mean, if alfa is only manufacturing 2 models and they're still in business, why change things?

If I had 35-45k for a luxury saloon, I think I would be checking out the Germans first.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
It's a made up story which is being repeated in almost every lounge in this forum.
MH125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigspotter View Post
This article in the paper today:

Alfa Romeo MiTo and Giulietta to be scrapped

Where would we be without the poor-man's Maserati/Ferrari?

If this is true, I wouldn't be expecting much form a Giulietta facelift.
That would be the death of the brand in the U.K. in my opinion.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Just because a made up story is repeated does not make that story factual!

"according to Car Magazine in the UK."

Not a single reference to an actual source other that "I read it somewhere else"!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

M140i

The guy even points out the flaw:

"The strategy is somewhat counterintuitive, given that German brands such as Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz have been developing smaller, more affordable."

Well duh!. Sergio would have to be crazy to pull out of the mid / small hatch market.. They could drop the MITO IMO, because FIAT have that bit covered and BMW don't suffer from it. But the classic line of 147 (Giulietta, 1 series, A3) / 156 (3 series etc.) / 166 (5 series, etc.) can't be faulted..

Alfa can't demand BMW prices though..
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
FIAT have long needed to rationalise the overlaps in their brands

FIAT
Alfa
Lancia
Maserati
Ferrari

All have had real "brand killer" overlaps in the past (Lancia V8 Ferrari? Alfa 166? Fiat Chroma?) and have confused and upset owners, garages and journalists with their inconsistency.

If I was Sergio, I would

Peel out the 500 as a specific brand
Keep FIAT to compete with Eastern Europe / Korea
Make Lancia the "small luxury brand"
Make Alfa the "small sporting brand", with 2 & 4 seater up to BMW 3 series size
Use Jeep for ALL the 4x4 and SUV work
Bring Maserati down the range to compete with BMW 3,5,6 series
Keep Ferrari just where it is

Why?

Because the simple fact is bad builds in the 1970s/80s have killed the idea of Alfa = quality. Sportive drivers don't care, but fleet owners and ego-strokers do. It will take another decade to fix that perception, at least. But Maser is a GREAT brand, and most owners would jump ship from a dull-as-ditchwater MercAudiBimmer to a Maser in a heartbeat if it was a fleet list.

DavidJWBailey
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
That's sort of what's happening, which is very well documented on here, and I can't be bothered to repeat in full.

Maserati are being pulled down to high end 5 series territory (Ghibli).

Alfa are being pulled up into premium, with a range that meets Maserati at that point (166 replacement); the focus being on 3/5 series rivals.

Lancia are dead. There is no middle, just premium and budget.
AO Member

County: Nicosia
Actually all reports point to the fact that all future cars will be RWD. Also, a slight quality increase with a justified price increase would be welcome in several markets.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/21/a...avor-of-rwd-s/

RWD cars will be valued in the States as well.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

... the number of times a story is quoted doesn't make it more real. All of the other articles point back to Georg Kacher's unsubstantiated piece in Car magazine.

I think there's a slim chance of the 2014 Giulia being RWD. The model that follows it (in 2020) probably will be RWD, though.

There's about the same slim chance of Mito not being renewed, which is something I don't think is a good idea. Without Mito, enthusiastic young drivers don't have the option of a new Alfa Romeo. That leaves the way open for BMW/Mini and the other Germans to grab customers young and keep them.

As for cancelling Giulietta, that's just lunacy. It's the centre of the market in Europe, and the European market won't stay dead forever.

Unless there has been a massive rethink, I doubt that the next Giulia will be RWD. It will be available with AWD I'm sure but to go for RWD only demands a new platform, new running gear and drive train and just seems too expensive for the volumes they will sell. It will also delay introduction which is already several years behind the death of the 159.
RWD does definitely harm the packaging of small/medium sized saloons. The Giulia is aiming for a wheelbase of around 2700mm, the same as Dodge Dart, Alfa 159, Alfa 166. The BMW 3 Series has gone to a 2810 wheelbase for the 2013 model - within an inch of the E39 5 Series.

Without Giulietta, the FIAT Group will need a much better FIAT entry than the ageing Bravo. Rumour has it that the Bravo replacement will be a crossover to cash in on the "Qashqai Effect", so somehow I think they still the Giulietta.

Having said that, Marchionne's strategy is very changeable, and structured by whim and rumour as much as shrewd business analysis. Whatever happens, he needs to get on with it - fiddling about didn't help Nero and its not helping Alfa Romeo either.
AO Platinum Member

Sergio is getting with it. There has been a hiccup in Alfa's plans brought about by Fiat Group's takeover of Chrysler (Giulietta had to morph into Dart pretty urgently etc.) and Alfa/Dodge were organisationally blended a bit.

Giulia's design, meanwhile, was tweaked. It'll arrive fairly soon and is FWD. Then there's the Mazda Spidex and the SUV. Legend has it that the Mito will spawn a 5-door, though that's been a while now and you'd think it would have happened already... There's no reason to nopt tweak the Giulietta though... the Evo-C platform is new and good.. and has plenty of mileage for facelifting etc, in it.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
affordable , alfa , end

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page