'Car' article claims all future Alfas RWD, no more MiTo/G - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 157 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
'Car' article claims all future Alfas RWD, no more MiTo/G

I'd take pretty much everything in here with a pinch of salt, being as their stuff is typically all imaginary, but:

Alfa Romeo to dump front-drive hatches for rear-drive saloons | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

As far as I know, MiTo and Giulietta or their replacements are still in the future plans. I'd be surprised if they were either canned, or RWD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

You beat me by a minute...let me see if I can close my post
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
"an insider told CAR. ‘But it is impossible to challenge Audi, BMW and Mercedes if you cannot match the Germans in terms of vehicle dynamics and driving pleasure.’ "

Where can I buy a road-going rear-wheel-drive Audi?

"It's a radical u-turn from Fiat-Chrysler boss Sergio Marchionne,"

He's slowing down - this must be his first U-turn for over three months!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
I wouldn't be surprised if Giulia is put back yet another year. I won't be waiting til 2015 if it is true. My 159 will be 7 by then. .....at which point they'll probably announce it has been put back to autumn 2016!
(Post Link) post #5 of 157 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Giulia has been 2015 for a while, with the 166 replacement in 2014.

See for example this January article: Alfa Romeo: flagship in 2014, Giulia in 2015 | AutoEdizione.com
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

"Smaller than the 166, bigger than the Ghibli" - that will be very difficult to achieve!
(Post Link) post #7 of 157 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
"Smaller than the 166, bigger than the Ghibli" - that will be very difficult to achieve!
Nice. We should become industry insiders.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Anyone remember when CAR wasn't a total bag of made up tossy schite?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
the whole RWD music to enthusiasts ears is a right load of knackers too
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Could possibly be a garbled re-telling of the American launch plans? Giulietta has been a successful model for Alfa, and this size of vehicle is the core of the European car market. It wouldn't make sense to kill it.

Giulia has been rumoured to be RWD since they stopped making 159, but the lack of a RWD platform always cast doubt on this. Marchionne did say that they'd use rear drive on everything bigger than Giulietta, but that it doesn't make sense to adopt it for hatchbacks -- BMW would seem to agree, as the next 1-Series will be FWD. I just wonder what they're going to build it on...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Are Mito and Giulietta profitable?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Could they afford to develop a class leading repalcement?
gibot123

I maybe being a tad sceptical but reading through these reports does this mean that Alfa are basically becoming a body designer more than an out and out car builder?

(Post Link) post #14 of 157 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Could possibly be a garbled re-telling of the American launch plans? Giulietta has been a successful model for Alfa, and this size of vehicle is the core of the European car market. It wouldn't make sense to kill it.
That'd make sense. It seems like an amalgamation of old news, but if you present it as US-centric, it seems a bit closer to what we know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
I dunno, but since you can add the Dodge Dart to that mix, probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
I maybe being a tad sceptical but reading through these reports does this mean that Alfa are basically becoming a body designer more than an out and out car builder?
They are already, aren't they? In the sense that they give and take significant technologies like engines probably just as much as any group brand.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Marchionne is very well known for using a bit of pressure .Remember the way that prior to this weeks announcement on funds to the Sevel joint van-building venture with PSA they had apparently pulled out completely , leaving the French on their own. Fiat dare not tie up funds on the Giulia which they need simply to remain liquid. If they do , they must be spent very carefully and this time he is threatening Italy that they could lose the job. He did this in Turin versus Serbian and Polish workers. The truth from a Fiat supplier I've spoken to in Turin is that the build quality is as good on a Panda as a 500, but its not in their interest to say it too often. Marchionne coincidentally visited the Panda plant this week . The feeling I get is that he doesn't have the money to spare for the Giulia , for the moment. It may be that he sees the potential to base the car on a Chrysler as irresistible .
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
EXOR sold their stake in SGS (the Swiss testing company) last month for 2bn, rumoured for the Chrysler takeover. There is a judge in the US dragging his heels on the price. I wish he would hurry up!
(Post Link) post #17 of 157 Old 19-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
The truth from a Fiat supplier I've spoken to in Turin is that the build quality is as good on a Panda as a 500, but its not in their interest to say it too often. Marchionne coincidentally visited the Panda plant this week . The feeling I get is that he doesn't have the money to spare for the Giulia , for the moment. It may be that he sees the potential to base the car on a Chrysler as irresistible .
Panda's as good as it gets - WCM at Pomigliano. Auto Edizione article

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about capital required, and certainly not the Giulia, until our judge makes a call on how much is required.

PR, me too - there's money in it!
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

An Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
They must be as they are made cheaply and sold as a premium product...

Look nice but last five minutes, I'm sure my Giulietta and Mito were made in china not Italy.
GTA_Nigel

Well, if they do make a RWD saloon 3 series rival that owes more to Maserati than Fiat I could well be interested. I do like a lot about the Ghibli, something similar but Alfa-ized would certainly be something I would consider. I hope they do a performance version like the GTA though.

The M and the G are the wrong cars for a US relaunch and the European market is dead anyway. But I'll believe it when I see it, Alfa's strategy changes every 10 minuites.....

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Out View Post
They must be as they are made cheaply and sold as a premium product...

Look nice but last five minutes, I'm sure my Giulietta and Mito were made in china not Italy.
If it was made in china the savings on labour could be spent on "premium" stuff. Recently ,I was talking to one of the Alessi family about keeping their products Italian and he told me they will accept a thirty percent higher cost until they have to consider producing elsewhere.

Hang on a cotton-picking minute! Marchionne and Car, speak with forked tongue as usual.

MiTo and Giulietta will remain FWD probably for the rest of my lifetime, and certainly for theirs. AWD was a possibility for Giulietta but they seem to have decided not to go there as the extra weight would kill it.

Giulia - in spite of Alfisti's wet dreams, wishful thinking and false rumours, has always been intended to sit on the stretched and widened Evo-C platform, in other words pretty much what the Dodge Dart sits on. The platform WILL take AWD or FWD - but as far as anyone knows, at this moment it can't be RWD only as they don't have a transmission or an inline engine. A slim chance maybe of a Pentastar engined version for the good ole USA might make it in RWD - but it might not be as sporty as we want in Europe and they may decide USA only (Like the 2.4 engined Dart not having a Giulietta equivalent)

SUV - another vehicle to sit on the Evo-C sharing mechanicals with the next Jeep Cherokee.

4c - settled - RWD, mid engine

Spyder - definitely RWD Mazda platform with Alfa exclusive engines (allegedly)

169 - RWD to be based on a platform shared with the next generation Chrysler 300c/Lancia Thema.

I don't believe that a fully RWD Giulia has ever existed other than in the fantasies of the Alfa fans on here. If they do re-engineer it for RWD only to suit the Americans it will be delayed further than it is already. It would have to be stellar to get back any sales from the Germans in Europe, so it may just be USA targetted with Euro sales as a side effect. (Future Edit: Marchionne: "Yes the car is now in full production in our USA factories and we hope RHD cars for Japan and UK may become available within 2 years").
One day Marchionne will have to sign off the production of the Giulia - it seems to me that after the ***k up of the 159 he is scared of the sector. As for competing with BMW/Audi/Mercedes, it may have slipped his mind that Audis are either FWD or AWD, that Mercedes are pushing hard on the A series FWD and developing it further upmarket than the old one, and BMW are planning that the next 1 Series and 2 Series will be on a FWD platform.
The biggest market for Giulia is indisputably the USA - a land these days of Honda/Toyota/Nissan and the Germans. Most of them could care less which end of the car was driven, in fact it has been proven that most of them don't know on their own cars. My worry would be that in pursuing a car that is cheap enough for the Americans and appealing to the "Average Sporting Joe", they will end up with a car that is not to European tastes.
It is going to be interesting to see which way Marchionne rules on this one - but please get on with it, the suspense is getting boring.
AO Member

County: Down

Member car:

QP~Spider LE

I agree that an Alfetta, smaller than the 166 but supposedly competing with the 5 series, is a contradiction and clearly wrong. More likely, it should read that the Alfetta will be larger than the 166 and overlap with the Ghibli.
In fact, I would not be surprised if the 166 replacement was based heavily on the Ghibli, competing with lower order 5 series and E class models. That would mean rear wheel drive and perhaps a non-turbo (?) V6 producing around 280 bhp at the top of the range. Obviously with diesels too to generate the volumes in Europe. Or is this a dream? If so, don't wake me up!
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Oh dear, yet another u-turn? They are saying that a completely new platform will be developed with Maserati to be used on Guilia and other models? Does that mean there will be a 3-series rival from Maserati too?

In fact, the more I think about it, shouldn't they just sell Alfa to VAG and then make Maserati their sole premium brand? They could do what Jaguar did and just expand the range downwards. A 3-series Maserati would certainly be competitive, then make a coupe and convertible versions of it. Then go down the route of making a Ghibli sportswagon.

I'm not sure if they will convince the general public that Alfa is a premium brand no matter what models they roll out... Maserati certainly already has that status.
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
hang on... does the article mean that the smallest Alfa will be the Giulia?? (not taking into account MX5 and 4C)? I cannot imagine them making a Giulietta replacement as a RWD.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs178 View Post
hang on... does the article mean that the smallest Alfa will be the Giulia?? (not taking into account MX5 and 4C)? I cannot imagine them making a Giulietta replacement as a RWD.
Yes. That's how it read to me. No sub Giulia models . No Giulietta / Dart related Giulia .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfas , article , car , claims , future , mito or g , rwd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page