RAC Approved Garage Damages My Alfa! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
RAC Approved Garage Damages My Alfa!

Guys,
Some advice please!
Having broken down in Sussex the RAC persuaded me to get a repair done locally than them spend 800 relaying it back to Newcastle.
After a catalogue of errors I get it home only to find a brake fluid leak.
I take it to my local garage who confirms damage to the brake pipes, crushing of the sills and a broken bonnet catch.
On contacting the RAC, they sent a patrolman out who confirmed the damage yet neither the RAC or the repairing garage are accepting liability.
So I am now with out a car and when I get th brakes fixed it will still be damaged and all have to be fixed at my own cost.
Any advice on what I can do to recover the costs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

As I read the siutation, the responsibility rests with the repairing gargage. Do any of your insurances include Legal Advice? If not it may be worth contacting a solicitor for a free half hour advice. Depending on the cost of a repair you may be able to pursue through a Small Claims Court if it comes to it.

Initially, contact the first garage with a detailed report of the condition of the vehicvle before and after their repair. Your success will be entirely based on whether you can prove that the damage was caused by them and costs "x" amount to rectify.

RAC will quietly back away I suspect saying its nothing to do with them. You may get them to intervene if there is a stand off - but its a long shot.

Crushed sills? Broken brake lines? Which car was this?
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Hi Mike,

It was on my pride and joy 156 SW.

You are right the RAC has said it is nothing to do with them, the garage say the same.

As it happens I work on BBC Watchdog so this could make an interesting story for them.

Anyway, the pipes are being replaced as we speak, the sills tomorrow but it's all hassle and cost I could do without!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX159 View Post
As I read the siutation, the responsibility rests with the repairing gargage. Do any of your insurances include Legal Advice? If not it may be worth contacting a solicitor for a free half hour advice. Depending on the cost of a repair you may be able to pursue through a Small Claims Court if it comes to it.

Initially, contact the first garage with a detailed report of the condition of the vehicvle before and after their repair. Your success will be entirely based on whether you can prove that the damage was caused by them and costs "x" amount to rectify.

RAC will quietly back away I suspect saying its nothing to do with them. You may get them to intervene if there is a stand off - but its a long shot.

Crushed sills? Broken brake lines? Which car was this?
gibot123

The only thing I would add is that on all cars these days the sills are a very importatant structural part of the car and must be repaired properly .

gibot123

I think your main issue here is that the car was returned in an unroadworthy and dangerous condition. By a so called approved repairer.
What did it go in for in the first place?

(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 18-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
I think your main issue here is that the car was returned in an unroadworthy and dangerous condition. By a so called approved repairer.
What did it go in for in the first place?
It only went in for a bloody wheel bearing, how can anyone **** that up!!!!
gibot123

I dont Know. All of these companies will have insurance though for exactly this reason but usual first step is denial
Don't suppose you want to tell us which garage it was yet?
Have you had a proper alfa tech look at the damage and get a written report .
Contact your insurer and see if they can help or advise you.
I'm no expert but as I said if the sill has been badly damaged it needs to be properly checked.

PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
I hate it when things like this happen. How long ago was it serviced by Benfield? You could ask them to give you a letter stating that the car was in perfect order at last service. Might not budge them but maybe worth a try?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , approved , damages , garage , rac

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page