New neighbour bumped me Giulli - doesn't want to go through insurer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 33 Old 08-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
New neighbour bumped me Giulli - doesn't want to go through insurer

Brand new neighbour.. hasn't even fully moved in yet.. reversed into my 2 year old Giulietta yesterday (up to then.. spotless)

It's drivable OK. Looks like the bumper will need a full respray. New tyre. New or full refurb of an alloy.

He was very apologetic. Gave me his insurance details.

I contacted Alfa Accident Aftercare today who say they'll sort everything. All the insurance stuff.. book it in an authorised repairshop.. provide a car etc etc. I gave them his insurance details and they said it will all come off his insurance, won't cost me a penny. I'm just waiting for the bodyshop to call and give me a time to come in for an inspection.

This evening, neighbour comes round again saying he's had a think and now doesn't want to go through the insurance as it will cripple his already high premiums. He'll just pay the damage and pay for me a hire car etc. "We're neighbours now"

What to do?

On one hand.. I don't really know him from Adam (apart from where he now lives). What if he refuses to pay once the work is done? Would I ask him for the money upfront after the estimate? Will he want a cheaper non-Alfa authorised bodyshop?
If I now tell Aftercare I'm not doing it through them... and then he changes his mind... am I stuffed?

On the other.. if I say no, I'm certain my car will get sorted with a minimum fuss but I've probably instantly fallen out with my new neighbour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbean View Post
Brand new neighbour.. hasn't even fully moved in yet.. reversed into my 2 year old Giulietta yesterday (up to then.. spotless)

It's drivable OK. Looks like the bumper will need a full respray. New tyre. New or full refurb of an alloy.

He was very apologetic. Gave me his insurance details.

I contacted Alfa Accident Aftercare today who say they'll sort everything. All the insurance stuff.. book it in an authorised repairshop.. provide a car etc etc. I gave them his insurance details and they said it will all come off his insurance, won't cost me a penny. I'm just waiting for the bodyshop to call and give me a time to come in for an inspection.

This evening, neighbour comes round again saying he's had a think and now doesn't want to go through the insurance as it will cripple his already high premiums. He'll just pay the damage and pay for me a hire car etc. "We're neighbours now"

What to do?

On one hand.. I don't really know him from Adam (apart from where he now lives). What if he refuses to pay once the work is done? Would I ask him for the money upfront after the estimate? Will he want a cheaper non-Alfa authorised bodyshop?
If I now tell Aftercare I'm not doing it through them... and then he changes his mind... am I stuffed?

On the other.. if I say no, I'm certain my car will get sorted with a minimum fuss but I've probably instantly fallen out with my new neighbour.
Just get the quote and give it to him, if he doesn't want to pay it up front in full. Then insurance it is..

Work can't commence without payment first.!!
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD M-Jet

Speaking from experience, insurance all the way. If this happened away from your house, would you be as willing? They are not your family and they are the ones at fault so why put yourself out.

Plus he's the one who should be worried about falling out with the new neighbours not you.

Save yourself the stress.
AO Platinum Member

If you want to go "direct" and not claim on his insurance, then it doesn't mean you can't go through the insurance later, if he changes his mind. Insurance is actually liability insurance, so basically you sue someone for damaging your car and their insurance pays the cost, as if it was Judge Judy who awarded it.

But get a quote first and then get him to give you a cheque, so that it's paid for up front.

I don't see why you shouldn't give the fella a chance. I nudged someone once (bumper re-spray) and the fella saved my NCB by going direct. They sent us a quote and I sent them a cheque. Job done..

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
As above, get the quote from the place YOU want it repaired. Get a quote for a hire car equivalent to the one you would have got. Give him the cost, and see what he says.

If there is any quibbling or suggestions you take it somewhere cheaper then go insurance..
AO Member

County: Kent
Also worth remembering that now the insurance company has been informed, regardless of fault and what NCB you have, your premium will likely be higher come renewal! Happened to me!
AO Member

County: Londonderry
Insurance. Similar happened to me last November. Come January still no work started so ended up insurance job anyway. Could've saved myself a lot of agro and time if had done insurance in the first place!
(Post Link) post #8 of 33 Old 09-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by philbean; 10-07-13 at 09:24.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 TBi ti

Tell him the quote came out to an horrific cost and let him decide to go with insurance after all?
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by super164 View Post
Also worth remembering that now the insurance company has been informed, regardless of fault and what NCB you have, your premium will likely be higher come renewal! Happened to me!
Probably because they have reassessed your neighbourhood. The neighbours are getting more careless so the risk has gone up.
Spacecadet

If you've started the claim, its declarable so will affect NCB on the persons fault side, and increase yours as you have had an accident that you have to declare for 5 years.

I'd say that the process has been started through the insurance company and is now out of your hands. Sorry.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I don't get it.

It would be easy to do it on the cheap - new tyre and wheel and bumper cosmetic BUT there could be hidden damage. It needs a new tyre and wheel so it must have taken quite a hit - what has it done to the steering? Do you really want that hassle?

Even the "cheap" option sounds like a grand. An insurance job would at least double that but you would know all had been checked. Alfacare seems the obvious way to go.

Even if he did pay it would cost him at least a grand - is he really saying his policy would increase by that amount? Sounds fishy to me and if I were you I'd play it by the book and go through the insurance.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

156 3.0 v6

Deffo go with the insurance. I had a similar (minor) reversing smack by my neighbour a couple of years ago. Got a quote, he said he would pay at the end of the month / year and he's now moved house.
gibot123

If it was an older car that you could fix your self with cheap s/hand bits thats one thing but 2years old deffo a proper job.
If he is that careless it's no wonder his insurance is through the roof.
Might make him be a bit more careful.
Sad but true

AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Mito QV

I would go through the insurance because I'd want the car fixed up properly....

But don't forget, even a non fault claim can boost your premiums. Additionally, if you wait for him to pay up and he doesn't, you could run into trouble later on... (I work in motor insurance claims).
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
if you've started the claim, its declarable so will affect ncb on the persons fault side, and increase yours as you have had an accident that you have to declare for 5 years.

I'd say that the process has been started through the insurance company and is now out of your hands. Sorry.

[color=gray]sent from autoguide.com free app[/color]
+1
AO Member

Member car:

145's & m3

Be careful because you still have to declare the claim even though a nfc - no fault claim against the 3rd party and it will increase your premium for 3 yrs
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM 159Ti SW

Insurance mate, all the way. Tell him it's too late. Just not worth the risk and further awkwardness when his cheque bounces.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Giulia Super

Go through the insurance!
The alternative always sounds good at first until they are presented with the bill.
Then the tune always changes!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
update?
gibot123

+1

AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Happened to a mate. Parked in a supermarket car reverses in to front of slight famage to both cars damage. Driver gets out admits fault offers to pay outside of insurance. My mate accepts doesn't inform his insurance.

Two weeks later his insurance contacts him saying that they've received an accident claim stating that he's run in to the back of said driver and 5000 damage and four whip lash claims

His insurance don't believe him as he's failed to report and paid out.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zender2Zender View Post
Be careful because you still have to declare the claim even though a nfc - no fault claim against the 3rd party and it will increase your premium for 3 yrs
The difference is negligible I had an NFA in september and had two quotes declaring it and not declaring it and the difference was 8
(Post Link) post #24 of 33 Old 23-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update.. Alfacare are dealing with it via insurance.

Tyre is actually OK after a good scrub. Alloy needs a full refurb, bumper repair and respray and a check behind to make sure no hidden damage. Bodyshop reckons for a drive-in private job it would be about 500+VAT + courtesy car + any admin insurance fee for courtesy car so that would make it 600-700.

It doesn't look anything like that much damage to the naked eye so I'm certain eyebrows would have been raised if I'd have handed that over as a quote.

Just waiting to take it in for the work to be done now. Up to now Alfa Aftercare do seem to be very very good.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super164 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo. View Post
The difference is negligible I had an NFA in september and had two quotes declaring it and not declaring it and the difference was 8
It was about 30 for me.
My sister's neighbour let his car roll down the street (forgot the handbrake) into her car on her drive whilst she sat in the lounge watching TV . She was told by the insurance company that statistically she was now more likely to be involved in another accident.

She no longer uses the lounge to watch TV. Very dangerous type of motoring

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
bumped , giulli , insurer , neighbour

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page