converted my mate to buy Alfa but 159? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

gibot123

converted my mate to buy Alfa but 159?

hi peeps after years of trying think I have got my mate to consider an Alfa thing is he has 3 kids and does not want an estate would you recommend a 159 jtdm if so which model and spec should I be looking for ?
Has a smallish budget though whats are your thoughts?
Should he be looking at something else if so what?
Any help would be really useful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

gibot123

is the 159 that bad that no one has an opinion to offer?
If I get this wrong my mate will never speak to me again

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
I had a similar situation recently but the colleague got another Renault instead . He wanted a 159 SW but with his budget I didn't want to be held responsible for the first big bill by recommending any car . The 159 is a handsome car but if that novelty ever wears off its a lot of metal to carry around for his 18000 miles a year .
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
What is his smallish budget? Go too cheap on the 159 and you could be inviting trouble. But that goes for any car really if you buy at the bottom of the market.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfafamily View Post
What is his smallish budget? Go too cheap on the 159 and you could be inviting trouble. But that goes for any car really if you buy at the bottom of the market.
That's exactly the problem with recommending any car over four years old!
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

why not go for the SW?

it's practical and stylish (i find it to be better looking than the saloon, but thats just my opinion) and isnt much harder on the fuel than the saloon?
gibot123

Budget £3-4500 is the problem I think but the only other option is the 156 and its a little long in the tooth for him personally I think it would be better all round parts availability etc..
There are a couple of reasonable cars out there and the good side is we normally help each other with most mechanical work .
I'm just a bit concerned as read one or two horror stories on here about the 159 specifically the 2.4 jtdm .
After many years of telling him that Alfas are no more trouble if you put in a bit of care than any other, and give back more. I would hate him to buy the only model that was trouble prone and un alfa like if you follow me?

gibot123

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan laurel View Post
why not go for the SW?

it's practical and stylish (i find it to be better looking than the saloon, but thats just my opinion) and isnt much harder on the fuel than the saloon?
I agree think that maybe the best option.
Apart from the power steering issues (red/green fluid) wrongly filled is there anything that I should really look out for when viewing aside from the normal used car rules wear/tear paperwork ,service history?

AO Silver Member

Garage
As long as you are aware of the bits that go wrong ( I would sort the EGR as soon as you purchase it, blank or restrict asap) the EGR is ok. If the kids are still in seats (rather than boosters), the rear can be tight.
Otherwise go for it, the Ti is the best version to get, but can be harsh, in which case get a lusso, with kids, the leather should be easier to clean than the lesser turrismo options.
gibot123

Yeah I think its one seat two boosters so should be ok!
is there a preference between the 1.9 and the 2.4 as far as problems are concerned?

AO Silver Member

Garage
Not really, it is the same engine, with one extra cylinder. The gearbox and clutch is stronger in the 2.4. Mostly motorway is 43 mpg on the 1.9.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
As long as you are aware of the bits that go wrong ( I would sort the EGR as soon as you purchase it, blank or restrict asap) the EGR is ok. If the kids are still in seats (rather than boosters), the rear can be tight.
Otherwise go for it, the Ti is the best version to get, but can be harsh, in which case get a lusso, with kids, the leather should be easier to clean than the lesser turrismo options.
The Ti may be the best version, if your mate can budget for the tyres and keeps away from kerbs! In Italy they quite happily drive 159s on 16" wheels!
gibot123

really helpful guys makes my job a bit easier. thanks
If you can think of anything else I'll keep an eye on the posts

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibot123 View Post
really helpful guys makes my job a bit easier. thanks
If you can think of anything else I'll keep an eye on the posts
Stripping away the reliability issues, which got fixed (well mainly).. There great looking, ok to drive for a fat car I couldn't imagine what it would be like with a 1.9 150. MPG in my soon to be gone 159 2.4 is around the 33MPG mark so not great, it all depends what he want's out of a car really.

Had a 335I, which was lighter and more powerful so not a fair comparison. Was a hoot to drive and without Msport rides well, very nice car if not slightly dull when just cruising.

Lexus ISF I had, great car but silly cost to run. Tried a 2.2d Lexus IS as well and really wasn't a fan, I bet it's bullet proof but gear ratios all messed up and was bland.

Had some Mondeo's and Vectra's, the TDCI 130 Mondeo is gutsy.. Didn't like the Vectra..

I think the Alfa is a good compromise of expense, style and a slight bit of poke and definitely a cruiser. Kinda like a prettier Insignia if you will..

Last edited by Shadowamd; 08-07-13 at 18:45.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
what's his priority - performance? looks? comfort? fuel economy?
gibot123

I think he wants it all but mainly something he will enjoy and be proud of with decent economy on long runs.
He has a passat 1.8 turbo petrol which is getting about 18-20 mpg with the tip-tronic box which he hates.
He's insistent on a diesel so with his budget thought the 159 might fill most of his needs

Last edited by gibot123; 08-07-13 at 23:23.

AO Member

County: Anglesey
£3-4500 isn't the most generous budget for a 159, but I bought mine 3 weeks ago for £4k but it's the 2.2 JTS saloon. I would stick to under £4000 and budget £500 to have the egr replaced and the dpf and maf cleaned as a matter of course and new glow plugs, also get a diag done, buy a lead on eBay, they are not expensive, android market have a fault code reading app or you can get it on your pc for free and read any codes in the system.

The comman ones in all diesel cars are egr, dpf, glow plugs and relay, maf, turbo boost sensor and injectors.

Watch also the clutch and dmf, and basically any problem you get in a 1.9 CDTi or 1.9 TiD in other GM tat you may suffer in a FIAT-Alfa JTD. 18k a year is more than enough miles to make the oil burner worthwhile so maybe something like this one would do

Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTDM 16V LUSSO 4DR FULL LEATHER PARKING SENSOR 2007

I'd try and get it for around £4k and check the above, once that's done, you should have a nice car there, just as long as you can put up with people shouting TAXIIIIII! at you
gibot123

Thanks looks good that one

AO Silver Member

Garage
If he's been used to sub 20mpg, then he might well be happy with the 2.4jtdm's return, especially if he wants more oomph

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member

County: Newport
Garage
Yep we can recommend a 2.4 159. They are smooth and deliver lots of punch. Deceptive car. Long journeys are what is does best and keeps the engine happier I believe.
gibot123

Well guys 'n'gals after all the chat advice and persausion he has decided to go for an X-Type diesel so thanks for all your input but no go . I think he's making a mistake but its the availability and cost of the ford running gear that seems to have swayed him. Oh well I gave it my best shot .
Just wanted to say a big THANKYOU to all that contributed to the debate cheers guys maybe I'll get him next time

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
159 , alfa , buy , converted , mate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page