Car Club Perception !! My Mates Think I Am A Ned / Chav - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

SCGT

Crazed Car Club Perception !! My Mates Think I Am A Ned / Chav

Relatively new to this repping thing and mates and colleagues in work think I am a Chav !! Scottish Version Ned ..... , hasten to add "a mature ned"

Have of course defended this train of thought but starting to wonder if there is a general perception of the "type" of person that goes on meets and events. Seems to me that it's the same members that make the effort in my patch although to be fair there are couple of new faces came along recently.

Maybe I should reverse the GT lowering remove the 500W subwoofer delivering the techno , all the blue LEDs , the triple horn might be a bad idea and the farting nitro really doesn't go with diesel.

Sure we could get more coming along to events and meets but need to find a way of putting the "car club" perception to bed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire
Garage
When I attend a meet I find that at times the conversation leaves me a bit out of my depth not being a petrolhead. I enjoy the company but it does seem that most are prepared to get their hands oily and have the knowledge and skill to do so with confidence. This may well be what puts some off rather than the chav image of boy racer
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGr View Post
When I attend a meet I find that at times the conversation leaves me a bit out of my depth not being a petrolhead. I enjoy the company but it does seem that most are prepared to get their hands oily and have the knowledge and skill to do so with confidence. This may well be what puts some off rather than the chav image of boy racer
perfectly OK, your only criteria for acceptance is ownership and interest. Don't be intimidated by those who know lots about the oily bits. The role of those members in the club is to provide you with free advice (sometimes whether you want it or not) that may, or may not save you 's and help you enjoy the cars.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Strange, the majority of my mates are really into it and think that it's great that I regularly attend meets, club events etc. In fact some are slightly envious. Most Alfa enthusiasts keep their cars relatively 'pure' and do not tint the windows and fit drainpipe size exhausts so the chav image does not really apply. Sure, some of the GTA boys fit some fancy bits and a lot of Cup owners fit Raggazon etc but this is not to be 'flash', just to improve the car, after all, when you go to meets and meet the guys that have done these mods they're invariably middle-aged, not boy racers. As said above, no one is judging you on your Alfa knowledge, just enjoy the cars.
mudhut

And don't be put off by the self-proclaimed "experts". A great many of them only repeat what they've heard elsewhere - there are loads of them on this forum too.

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

alph a ramayo

I enjoy our meets on a social level its gone past talking about the cars and because we now know everyone better we just take the P155 out of each other .
AO Silver Member

I am part of a car club, and also run a classic car club catering for Capris. Depending on age range, the normal club takes the mick & because the cars are pretty normal to classic (An Insignia, BMW 3 series then my Capri & an Austin Ambassador) you find very little "car" conversation gets involved, but it becomes very stale. Flip to the Capri Club & people are very knowledgable, always willing to help out with car issues, & talk cars, plus a bit of banter. This I prefer. I have a bit of mechanical knowledge but not enough to build up an engine, but am willling to learn more or take advice. Car clubs based around banter are fine, but it ain't sure going to help you if your club goes to shows & one breaks down. Best advice stick with it, don't be put off by what people say or think.

Italians are crazy people.... but their cars are objects of desire

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEL View Post
I enjoy our meets on a social level its gone past talking about the cars and because we now know everyone better we just take the P155 out of each other .
Thats becasue the average age of the owner is roughly 92 ;-)

I like cars and the oily bits. But i'm not fussed by those who do not. At the end of the day they are heaps of metal that allow freedom to move easily across the planet if you so choose. Built and designed. They have shaped so much from in forms of travel that the globe is now a much smaller place. Its shaped our relationships and how we interact.

To ignore aspects of life is to be closed minded about the world.
This is the case for all works of industry / retail / social.

Just to say you have an interest in one field is narrow minded. I am sure they have a hobbie or passionate about something.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I think it depends on the marque and type of club.

You will get clubs that are more interested in modifications than the type of car. Doesn't matter what you drive as long as it is slathered in fibreglass and has 6 'zorsts. This is the "chav" element for me, but whatever floats your boat.

Generally clubs that focus on a specific marque are more balanced. What I like about Alfas is that there is a very broad spectrum of people interested. You get 20 year olds who see a cheap high performance car, middle aged farts like me who have grown up with them, people who race them, people who polish them etc.

To me the validity of a good car club is the response of the members to showing up with a complete wreck you have just bought (either on a trailer, or under its own power). If the attitude is "it doesn't look beautiful so we're not interested", that is not the club for me. A whole horde of people gathered round explaining that on theirs .... there is a bit .... here ...etc, is a very good sign.
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Blokes at work think im a nutter, as the Alfa when I use it is always spotless.
And the idea of meeting up with fellow car owners is mental.
But as an Alfa owner for 18 years ive had it all and its water off a ducks back for me.
Ive made some good friends with owning a car with the same badge on as them.
AO Member

Member car:

Those that scorn car clubs are the same ones that meet up down the pub/club on a Friday night. No difference in my mind you just get more selective as you get older. Can't say I am into sitting in the middle of a field on a deck chair, sipping beef tea and hoping someone will show a passing interest in my mk1 fiesta whilst Maureen inspects the cake baking competition. Serves them right when I turn up and start talking about my ford ownership... after half an hour I can see their eyes glazing over and this is usually followed by the need to check where Maureen has got to, well their asking for it! I don't feel that I own anything that someone else would be interested enough in to take to meets, I love the car or bike but that doesn't mean anyone else would and I would end up stressing about imperfections! Didn't have enough love as a child?
AO Silver Member

Mk1 Fiesta? Nice. (Mk3 Capri owner here!)
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
And don't be put off by the self-proclaimed "experts". A great many of them only repeat what they've heard elsewhere - there are loads of them on this forum too.
There's a lot of Self-proclaimed "experts" so I've heard.
mudhut

Very good....

AO Member

Member car:

Most of us just retain or remember enough info to solve the problems as they appear, so called "experts" tend to have a one make knowledge, which is quite easy to accomplish as cars haven't changed since the model T ford. Being an expert doesn't make you a good practitioner, I have seen many an enthusiast stood next to their pile of poo which is hand painted and held together with sticky tape, patina, I think that's what they call it... runs like a bag of nails, cos that's how it left the factory! I have owned many many Land Rovers and there are probably more experts on these than any other make, off road, concourse, field craft etc... For a vehicle designed to be interchangeable and repaired with a hammer, oh, the amount of contradictions you get!
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
My wife thought I was a bit strange (Still am) attending meets, having OCD with the car, that's until she went to her first Alfa meet recently.

She now tells me "what a nice group of friends you have, whens the next meet!, can I come along"

Same with people at work and it goes in one ear, out the other..

What I will say is being an owner of an Alfa is fecking great, I might pretend to know a little about cars, but who cares as long as I can get in and drive, meet other fanatical AO's try and blend in

Oh and the banter / witty conversations has me in bouts of laughter at times...you bunch of

We wanna be together.............

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
car , chav , club , mates , ned , perception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page