Life is great... until it goes wrong! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Thumbs Up Life is great... until it goes wrong!

Spent the last few weeks sorting cars, projects, purchases and clearance. The Alfas (touching huge piece of wood) are doing their jobs whilst all around (nothing I own) are failing! Just wanted to spread the love.... Alfas are great! This site is great! Although I am skint.. life is great! Bought a Porsche... great! Got a Proton coupe as P/X.. great! Sold the Scimitar.... great! Harley coughed up blood... not so great but OK! MOT due on the 156 saloon and SW... oh bugger! No... life is great! This club... great! Proton club.. not so great!
My point is that the Alfas bring a little ray of sunshine, even when they go wrong and I have recommended people to buy them as much for the great club as the car. I have had nothing but GREAT advice and help from this club/site. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

97 164 24v Super

Me too. My 164 would probably be dead if it wasn't for this site!
AO Silver Member

County: Galway

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Me 3 , Alfa has brought me Joy .
For a little more cash than a Jap box I purchased a 10 YO 147 , been in love ever since .
More complicated hence more to go wrong but it's worth it . Double wishbones .
BIG thanks' to the Forum and club .
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Coming from only owning peugeots since I passed my test and from a family that all run fords I was classed as an outcast when I got the 156!!!

They all mocked and said my spanners would always be out fixing it, but as with all my cars I practise preventative maintance and in all my years the only time I have being let down is from a jammed starter
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 20-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Unlike a lot of other makes designed for carrying the shopping and kids, most if not all old Alfas have been loved at some point, yes they are probably being sold by some half wit on fleebay for the price of a pint... but you don't need to go too far back in the car's history to find that it was loved. I bought a 99 156 tourismo with 6months mot and tax, leather, supersport alloys, reversing sensors, original multiplay CD, wood steering wheel etc.. and all handbooks, as a non runner for 200, cleaned the MAF and put new temp sensor in. 15 and 3000 miles later and it is my Wife's daily driver, seller hadn't noticed the cambelt sticker in the door jam or checked the paperwork to see that the car had been loved up to the point he had got hold of it and then left it on his drive because it "don't run right". He was very pleased to show me his new car, a very crusty Merc 190 which wasn't going to last the day, I knew which one I was going home with! If it wasn't for their poor resell value I would buy Alfas all day long to turn a buck. 156 cracking little cars
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Alfa Romeo's are in many ways an alternative Ferrari but without the "He's a ****" experience

You get the odd "He's a ****" for buying an unreliable car but no where near as much as being one for appearing rich.

No car today is perfect as there is way too much tech on them. Modern Alfas I reckon are as reliable or unreliable as any other. Post 2000 is modern for me.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 20-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

I can not think of any manufacturer who produces a reliable car in this day and age. Much like washing machines, they don't last for twenty years anymore, three if your lucky! My in-laws Saab 93 Aero, from new its been a piece of crap which has had no end of problems. My friends 2004 Audi A4 Diesel blew up at the weekend and his comment was.. "it has done nearly 200k I had better buy a new one", 200k, your having a laugh, not even run in at that mileage. My Mother's two year old Nissan Note has already developed a rattle and the A/C has packed up, she bought it because they are supposed to be so reliable.
I haven't yet traveled in a modern car 2000-2010 without there being something wrong, either a window that doesn't work or a dash warning light. My Alfas have no warning lights and everything works... trick is to take all the bulbs out.. only joking! The difference is that as an Alfa owner you maintain the cars and sort problems as they occur and there is a little bit of the perfectionist about us, have you noticed we post questions about glovebox covers and sticking windows plus that odd squeak. Don't know any other sites that are that bothered.. it tends to be what engine can I swap and what colour should I paint the wheels! I believe that it comes down to the owner and not the car, with Alfas you go in with your eyes wide open.. they need to be looked after!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

So true ^. The thing is cars today (from about 2002/3 onwards I'd guess from experience) are too reliant on electrical instruments. Sensors and so forth, many brought about by cutting emissions. The mechanical items they monitor tend not to fail but the sensors themselves do causing "slow down" lights and who knows what .
The sensors are generally in a harsh environment, heat and such.

They have IMHO got worse since the dates I mentioned. I maintain the most reliable cars I owned were one brand new 1994 Honda Civic, two 1995/6 Honda Accords and a brand new 1998 MX5 my daughter still owns. They started to get complicated after that.

Worst (apart from a 1989 Renault 19, well what do you expect it's French ) was my 2002 VW Passat. Sensors failing and a problematic water leak, oh and a water pump that was fortunately covered under warranty.
The sensors and water pump were stoppers

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 26-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

My friends new top of the range shogun had a hissy fit and set every warning light off! Dealer refused to come out and said her gearbox knackered, RAC reset by the roadside and everything groovy. I told her that unless you hear a nasty noise or can't select a gear its probably a dodgy sensor! Defo going low tech no tech on my cars, I have my ears, eyes and nose to tell me when something isn't right!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
great , life , wrong

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page