Those lovely insurance people - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 13-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Those lovely insurance people

I have a 2.2 Brera which I have never really found particularily expensive to insure. In real terms it has probably cost less to insure than my preceeding GT, 156s and 155s.

However, each and every year my existing insurer would increase my premium to such an extent I would switch using a comparison site , as I'm sure most of us do. The last couple of years though the increases have been relatively small so I have stayed with my existing company.

I have just received this year's renewal notice and rather incredibly and with out any questionning from myself, my premium has REDUCED by £35 leaving paying £233 for fully comp. Could insurance companies finally be getting the message that it makes sense not to take existing customers for idiots?

Just like to say thankyou to those lovely people in Liverpool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
What does the comparison site say this time?
AO Silver Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

Giulietta QV

£233 isnt a bad deal on the Brera at all.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 13-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbat View Post
What does the comparison site say this time?
There were lots of cheaper ones, there was even one at £159but like for like the cheapest was £218 on the comp site but I was more than happy to stay with a company with a half decent image.
AO Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Mito QV

Blame those who plead whiplash, not the insurance companies. If you saw the cost of small claims, insurance premiums appear a pittance.

I pay £400 for a MiTo Cloverleaf, which for a 25yr old is a bargain!
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I have been with a broker for the last 30 years.
They come up with a good deal each year.
In latter years of course I have been able to go online myself and see if I can do better - I can't despite using all of the information/sites available.

So thank you Ellis David.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Brera 3.2S

It seems there is more than one insurance company being reasonable when it comes to renewal prices, I paid £600 last year and my renewal came through at £427. I was pretty pleased with that until I put my details into a comparison site and got a quote of £355, I have just got off the phone with my current insurers, esure, and apparently they don't match (or even move at all) their competitors, their loss I guess.

I'm not sure why I got a 40% drop in insurance premiums but i'm not complaining, perhaps it's the one upside of turning 30.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

good for you R50!

unfortunately, to add some balance, my recent experience with swintons has been horrendous.

i renewed my insurance on the 156 a couple of months ago, with swintons, with the reasoning that although they weren't the cheapest, they were supposedly a brokers that has local branches and supposedly great customer care.

sooo... when it came to say my sad goodbye to the 156 and hello to a citroen c2, i thought it would be a trivial thing to get swintons to switch cover. How wrong could i be?!

firstly, they quoted my wife a premium of nearly £800 (the 156 was only £400) and when my wife protested, they said this was not the price that the current insurer was offering, but was indeed a new quote. they then changed tack and said that the current insurer would do the change for an extra premium plus an admin charge of £85 for a mid term change of vehicle.

reluctantly we accepted this, but a few minutes later, i did a comparison site search and found a new policy, through swintons themselves, was only £360 (about £150 less than what we are now paying). we called them back, providing the quote reference number and asked them to investigate. Surprisingly, they couldnt find the quote and couldn't switch our policy to the new quote.

with a massive sigh, we reluctantly agreed to stick with what we had and were prepared to pay the extra £16 per month for the rest of the term (approx 9 months) as we didnt want to incur any cancellation fees.

However, my mind has now been changed. Today my wife phone and asked them to change the direct debit date to the 20th of each month, instead of the 19th, as it falls on her pay-day.

not only could they not oblige (they can do the 13th, but not the 20th!!), but she was also given a lecture on monthly budgeting by a condescending branch staff member, and then just before the end of the conversation, asked if she would like buy personal injury insurance!!!

sod (i'd use a stronger word beginning with "f", but i cant) the cancellation fee... these morons are being wiped from my life and finances as of tomorrow, along with a massive, massive complaint (and maybe some dog eggs through their letterbox)

Last edited by stan laurel; 26-06-13 at 22:54.
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
Garage
My 147 is insured with Tesco. Had been with Direct Line for years then at last renewal they wanted £1,600! I do live in an high risk post code and wrote my last car off so thought it would be high but at 31 that is rediculous. Tescos came in at half the price with lower excess and a few other odd and bobs thrown in. Plus you get clubcard points. I can't understand it nor can a mate of mine who is a reinsurance broker!
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage
A new bit of legislation was introduced at the end of last year (or the start of this year, I can't quite remember when) relating to "gender neutral pricing". This affects insurance, annuities and other contracts and at a high level means insurance companies can't price men and women differently (despite any evidence they have that men might be a higher risk for motor claims, or that women live longer for annuities).

As a result, I think it should be expected that motor insurance should drop for men this year - but probably will increase for women. I've just had a renewal notice too and mine is £30 less than last year. I'm not expecting a similar drop next year though - it's a bit of a one-off decrease I think.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Chris Knott have done us a great deal on Multicar. All three moderns for £850. Admiral wanted £938.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
insurance , lovely , people

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page