Tyres question. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 07-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex
Tyres question.

I know that the legal minimum tyre tread is 1.6mm. My question is, how close to this do you all let it go before replacing tyres?
My 159 was serviced this morning and the front tyres were
4-4-3
4-4-4

I do fairly low mileage - around 7000pa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
If a brand new tyre has around 8mm of tread and the legal limit is 1.6mm, a half worn tyre will have just under 5mm of tread.

I'm unhappy with anything much below 3mm personally but many people will go to 2mm or 2.5mm before replacing tyres.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
I replaced my tyres last week. They were 3-3-3 on both fronts. I would prob let it go to max 2. My mate at work got stopped by police and got 3 points and £60 fine for illegal tyres. So he took the car to work for an mot and is just passed with 1.7mm. Not worth giving the cops something to do you for
Spacecadet

I let mine go to the wear bars which are usually set at 2mm. I think it depends on the tyres and style of driving. I drive relatively conservatively and mainly in towns. I maintain quite large gaps around me. If I was very quick, and I enjoyed tailgating I'd probably go for an earlier replacement.

I think of it like best before dates on food. If the can says best before a time a year away, I wouldn't throw the can away 3 months early just in case.

Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM3CFC View Post
I replaced my tyres last week. They were 3-3-3 on both fronts. I would prob let it go to max 2. My mate at work got stopped by police and got 3 points and £60 fine for illegal tyres. So he took the car to work for an mot and is just passed with 1.7mm. Not worth giving the cops something to do you for
I'd be back on to plod with my test cert and ask for my money back, points removed.

AO Silver Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulia 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cousins View Post
If a brand new tyre has around 8mm of tread and the legal limit is 1.6mm, a half worn tyre will have just under 5mm of tread.

I'm unhappy with anything much below 3mm personally but many people will go to 2mm or 2.5mm before replacing tyres.
I'm with you on this one and I changed 2 tyres yesterday. There are reports that show breaking distance starts to degrade significantly around 3mm so the royal society for the prevention of accidents recommends replacing them at 3mm rather than the legal minimum of 1.6mm.

Tyre Tread Depth and Wet Weather Stopping Distances | Vehicle Safety Advice & Information | Road Safety | RoSPA
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Just had all 4 changed on the Brera.

Rears were at 2.5mm & you could feel it on standing water. Fronts were around 3.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
The rears on mine went down to the bars, didn't realise they had got down that far, but driving back on the motorway around that time, with a bit of snow, and it was actually scary, replaced them the next day!
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 08-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Essex
Thanks folks.

One question. The minimum of 1.6 - I'm assuming this does not have to be across the whole tyre but just in one spot, for the tyre to be illegal??
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Think it is across the central 75% ( happy to be corrected though), so possible to have a worn shoulder
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by giblets46 View Post
Think it is across the central 75% ( happy to be corrected though), so possible to have a worn shoulder
As long as visible tread all over, no bald sections. IIRC. A lot of cars seem to wear the shoulders away leaving stacks of tread in the centre section
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

I usually change at 0.1mm or so above the wear-bars. I change to cold-weather tyres in October, so it's a good opportunity to check and see if a pair of tyres are still good enough to go back on in the spring.

I have a bit of a thing about checking my tyre pressures, so I do get very even wear (normally I run them at the middle of the recommeded pressure range, but up to the top for long, high-speed journeys). Also, swapping the stock dampers for Koni FSDs a few years back seems to have given me about 3~5000 km extra on every pair of tyres
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

My Mito just went in for its first service and came back with both front tyres around 3mm...it gives me an excuse to get rid of the Accelera's it's wearing at the moment at least.
AO Member

County: Vorarlberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
I'd be back on to plod with my test cert and ask for my money back, points removed.
Same here. Why accept such an obvious misjudgement?
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

alfa gtv 2.0

There are a lot of Tyre brands on the market that reach the half worn mark and loose a lot of performance that's one of the reason there are so many part worn Tyre sales
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike60 View Post
As long as visible tread all over, no bald sections. IIRC. A lot of cars seem to wear the shoulders away leaving stacks of tread in the centre section
Tyres probably under-inflated most of the time... shows how often people actually check them..

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

Had some wires poking out of the shoulders when I changed the Fuldas.. but then the '45 had a worn suspension arms which was beating them up. The rest of the treads had 4mm on them.. New arms and a re-track looks like it has restored across-the-tyre eveness of wear.

If the tyre wear is even and performance hasn't gone AWOL then I'd run the tyres to the 1.6mm wear indicators. Why change otherwise?

On the other hand, the Younger Mrs S. Cinquecento has some ageing Pirelli P7000s which have 3mm but are definitely not as sharp in the nadgery stuff as they were when they were new. I think I'll run them until teh weather gets colder and wetter (July then..? ) and then put new ones on for Winter.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
question , tyres

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page