My VERY close call! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 04-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

My VERY close call!

Just thought I'd let everyone know about this and the reason why Alfa hold a place close to my heart!

Last Friday had a nice wee trip to the coast on the bike, chatted to some folk an came home a few hours later. Everything went great, nice night to be out. My mate asked me to pick up his parents at Glasgow Airport so I agreed. Went to the airport picked them up and went back on the motorway home. A few miles into our journey a taxi in the outside lane started indicating to pull out into my lane. He took a while to move so I went to overtake him when he decided to pull out. I seen him starting to pull out so had my arm across the steering wheel on the horn but he took no notice, now I'm doing 70ish and he's probably only doing 60 if that with a gap of around a foot between both cars. Couldn't swerve into the next lane so had to slam the brakes on. Within seconds my little Mito had slowed down enough to avoid hitting him, horn still on and full beam just to show that I was actually there since he didn't see me at any point before. Honesty thought my time was up! Could see the light at the end of the tunnel before realising it was my full beams reflecting of his reg plate.

I don't know how we escaped it, if it was because I use my motorbike I've learned to anticipate drivers or if it was thanks to the fantastic Brembo brakes the Cloverleaf has, either way thanks Alfa and Brembo for saving 4 lives that night!

Xbox Live/PSN ID: SpeakForYou - Twitter: AlfistiKid

"You cannot be a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa Romeo" - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Well anticipated

If that was me i'd have got him to pull over and probably ended up punching some sense into him
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

Some people just don't look before they pull out.

Sorry Mate I Didn't See You is the mantra of the unobservant.

You're right - the paranoia drilled into you on the bike will serve you well in the car.

Brembos don't hurt either
AO Member

County: Glasgow
I've had few of those moments, and strangely enough on the same piece of road. The roadabout at Braehead which I go through twice a day seems to be where other road users queue up to try and kill me!

And yes good handling and brakes has saved me in the past too. Who says fast cars are dangerous!
(Post Link) post #5 of 25 Old 04-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Well anticipated

If that was me i'd have got him to pull over and probably ended up punching some sense into him
My mate took his reg and reported him to his taxi office and is going to report him to the councils licensing dept. Not that, but if that was a wee new driver or even if I was driving my Dad's Fiesta it'd be a different story!
AO Silver Member

County: Wielkopolskie
4 people with luggage in the MiTo - impressive .
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
I'm always like this in the 159, even with brembos on the Ti I know that probably still can't protect me from the sheer idiocy of drivers these days. I swear, last week was the 100% confirmation of my theory. I was working in Kirkcaldy so had to drive from North Lanarkshire up there every day, and the highway code is now Manoeuvre - Signal...maybe look in your mirror if you hit something

Honestly it's just getting worse
AO Gold Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakForYou View Post
A few miles into our journey a taxi in the outside lane started indicating to pull out into my lane. He took a while to move so I went to overtake him when he decided to pull out.
So what you're saying is that he gave a clear indication of his intentions & didn't just pull out in front of you, despite which you decided to accelerate, thus closing the gap he intended to pull out into & in doing so probably placed yourself in his blind spot?

Quote:
if it was because I use my motorbike I've learned to anticipate drivers
Isn't it reasonable to anticipate that a driver who indicates a lane change may actually change lanes?

Sorry to be so harsh, but to me, as a dispassionate onlooker, it does appear from your description of the incident that you got into a situation partly of your own making.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
So what you're saying is that he gave a clear indication of his intentions & didn't just pull out in front of you, despite which you decided to accelerate, thus closing the gap he intended to pull out into & in doing so probably placed yourself in his blind spot?

Isn't it reasonable to anticipate that a driver who indicates a lane change may actually change lanes?

Sorry to be so harsh, but to me, as a dispassionate onlooker, it does appear from your description of the incident that you got into a situation partly of your own making.
That's how I saw it, Dave. I would have given him a quick flash to let him know I'd seen him and was ready for him to move. But maybe I've misunderstood the situation.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Personally, if I couldn't easily move over to the inside lane and go past him I'd have held back. Racing past someone who is clearly indicating a move to the right is just asking for trouble. On a bike it would be suicide.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

Hmm. Just read these other comments.

I thought he'd started indicating and pulling out once you were already alongside him, but after re-reading it it does sound more like he was already indicating before you went to overtake.

Could you clarify what happened?
(Post Link) post #12 of 25 Old 05-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

He had plenty of time to pull out before I got anywhere near him that's why I went past! How many people have you seen indicate to pull out but will wait till you've passed.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

I suppose you've got to aks the question: How would the courts view it if there had been an accident?

I honestly don't think you would get off scott-free - and there would be a good reason for that.

I'm not being judgemental here - I'm not perfect when it comes to driving but I'm just saying that in this instance I think you took a chance but, thankfully, got away with it.

However, the other driver should have had a quick glance over his right shoulder tho before moving out IMO.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Wow! My hero
AO Silver Member

County: Manchester
Ultimately you overtook a car that was indicating, and you didn't have particularly good reason to believe that indication was in error.

I'd also make the point that indication should be about what you're going to do, not what you already are doing, because we can all damn well see that.

In fact, the Highway Code is even more restrictive than I would consider reasonable:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled
He obviously failed to observe correctly, at least provided you didn't make your move very quickly. However in an insurance claim it probably would have involved liability on your part too, perhaps 50/50.
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by losparx View Post
Wow! My hero
If i wanted your sarcasm i'd have asked for it
(Post Link) post #17 of 25 Old 05-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Maybe we are both to blame but that's in the past now and thankfully everyone was fine.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTDm

Yea. Amen to that.

We all make mistakes (I know I have in the past) but hopefully Lady Luck is with us and no one gets hurt.

We get older and wiser tho (hopefully!)
(Post Link) post #19 of 25 Old 06-06-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

Don't mind the wiser bit but not the older lol.

County: West Lothian
Garage
Glad to hear everybody is OK, Aimee.

That incident is a first by the way - a taxi driver that used his indicators.
Monkeymonk

VAG Australia seem to have a lot of unhappy customers of late.

Government orders probe on VW 'faults'

Volkswagen Driver Claims VW Threatened His Job Over Fault

Too scared to drive her beloved VW Polo

If the G had a VAG badge what would the press say? Brilliant.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta

Off-topic, Monkeymonk...
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Giulia Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakForYou View Post
He had plenty of time to pull out before I got anywhere near him that's why I went past! How many people have you seen indicate to pull out but will wait till you've passed.
---
Well said!
Indicating gives you no precedence whatsoever to pull out. The drivers who wait as you put it -are the one's who understand this!
Driving standards are definitely getting worse in the UK, and worst of all is that the government do not seem to give a damm.
Grahameo

Indication is a warning signal of an impending manoeuvre. It is not an automatic given right to pull out....
But it is also not a given right to ignore it either, it is Not a "hurry up and get past me" signal... Someone has to yield... When they don't and stubbornness ensues... That's when collisions occur.
If anyone finds themselves constantly braking heavily when yet another lorry , car or bike pulls out after indicating in front of them, then they should start to look at their own driving habits and not blame the many drivers who perform this move on them... It should tell you that you are either constantly failing to anticipate a potential warning or you chose to ignore warnings at your own risk.

Simple really

Last edited by Grahameo; 12-06-13 at 13:51.

AO Member

County: Dublin
Glad you ended up alright! I've had a few close calls like that, agree that driving bikes has made me a much better driver in the car, your antipcation increases ten fold. Best bit of advice I ever got was from my instructor in my first lesson on a bike.

'Look at the cars around out and think to yourself , what is the most stupid thing they could do in that situation , then expect them to do it'

Saved my ass more than once.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
call , close

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page