Alfa Idiosyncrasies - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Crazed Alfa Idiosyncrasies

Hi,

Having owned my 159 Ti for a couple of months now, I have come to know and love my car's unique little traits.

You must know the kind of thing, a squeak I only get at 42 MPH (easily avoided by turning up the volume of the stereo)

The slight hesitation on pulling away if revs drop below a certain RPM (I'll get it re-mapped)
etc etc..............

The one that SHOULD be annoying me the most is the drivers sun visor. I can adjust it perfectly to shade my eyes, but without fail - and always when I least expect it - it will suddenly flick flush against the windscreen making a small "slapping" sound.

It doesn't upset me in the way I think it might if it was an Audi or a BMW.

I've got used to it now and readjust it without batting an eyelid (unless I'm being blinded by the sun )

Anyone care to share the little idiosyncrasies of their own Alfa?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Leicestershire
mmm, personally I think these things are just bad design and I don't have much tolerance for them. When my gear knob started to come apart I didn't think anything other than who could design this piece of crap in an otherwise generally very well engineered car. An idiosyncracy is something I would think of as being functionally ok but a bit left-field in it's thinking. Bit like how Citroen used to do things.

Anyway, one thing in my Giulietta is that whoever designed the radio display probably never sat in the car whilst wearing polarising sunglasses. You get an optical effect showing dark fringes across the display when you do which looks a bit weird.

All the best

Last edited by Steve_S; 06-10-11 at 19:06.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_S View Post

Anyway, one thing in my Giulietta is that whoever designed the radio display probably never sat in the car whilst wearing polarising sunglasses. You get an optical effect showing dark fringes across the display when you do which looks a bit weird.
You get that with all LCD displays.
LCD displays use polarising filters.

My monitor at work is completely black if I tilt my head
at 15 deg whilst wearing my sunglasses.

AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Yes, quite true, but it is the curved glass screen in front of the display which is causing the appearance of the "fringes" by changing the polarization angle in a semi-random fashion.
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
You get that with all LCD displays.
LCD displays use polarising filters.

My monitor at work is completely black if I tilt my head
at 15 deg whilst wearing my sunglasses.
Sunglasses at work. Maaaaan you are so French, and so

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
My mates Sprint that sounded the lights on warning buzzer - when you opened the passenger, rather than drivers door always amused me.
I loved the washer jets on my 145 - oh, they didn't work very well as they were tucked under the rear edge of the bonnet, but they did't spoil the lines of the car as they were hidden.
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim145 View Post
My mates Sprint that sounded the lights on warning buzzer - when you opened the passenger, rather than drivers door always amused me.
I loved the washer jets on my 145 - oh, they didn't work very well as they were tucked under the rear edge of the bonnet, but they did't spoil the lines of the car as they were hidden.
Seems like the light on warning buzzer was carried over from a left-hand drive design. Again just poor design rather than charming idiosyncrasy. But didn't the first generation 159 have the boot lid release button in the roof? That always felt a bit left field but seemed to work functionally. One annoying design feature in my GT is the location of the windscreen washer tank. It's almost impossible to fill up without spilling the water on the engine and the front wing. I always worry about corroding the paint.
Awaiting Email Conf

County: Greater London

Member car:

Quattroporte

Few things are as purposefully idiosyncratic as the Alfasud's instruments. Where you move the right hand stalk down expecting wipers the fan comes one - to find the wipers you have to rotate the stalk. Where you would expect the windscreen washer to be - pulling the right hand stalk - you find the horn

The car was fully of little discoveries like this
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A pushbike

Early GTA's say Okt on the dash rather than Oct.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
The reflection of the dash on the inside of the windscreen on my 159 LE is a bit distracting, the hazard lights coming on if I'm braking really hard on country roads, makes me look a right tool after I just flown past someone.

The fuel gauge moving unrealistically fast towards empty and hardly moving in the other direction when putting fuel back in.

Black paint, black leather and black roof lining = a mobile oven in hot weather.

Still love the car though.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 11-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
Few things are as purposefully idiosyncratic as the Alfasud's instruments. Where you move the right hand stalk down expecting wipers the fan comes one - to find the wipers you have to rotate the stalk. Where you would expect the windscreen washer to be - pulling the right hand stalk - you find the horn

The car was fully of little discoveries like this
That's just properly bizarre?!.....I used to have Mitsubishi Lancer GSR. The indicator/wiper stalks were round the other way. I believe it's quite common in Jap cars.....Didn't make me feel any less of a plum as I "flashed" my wipers and washed my window by way of thanks to other motorists for giving way to me!
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamaninworcs View Post
The reflection of the dash on the inside of the windscreen on my 159 LE is a bit distracting, the hazard lights coming on if I'm braking really hard on country roads, makes me look a right tool after I just flown past someone.

The fuel gauge moving unrealistically fast towards empty and hardly moving in the other direction when putting fuel back in.

Black paint, black leather and black roof lining = a mobile oven in hot weather.
Hate to tell you.....but your 159 isn't unique in that respect.....mine does ALL of that too

(I love mine too though )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , idiosyncrasies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page