Leaving Alfa - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 37 Old 19-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Leaving Alfa

After years of owning Alfas I have recently sold my last one. We're now toying with getting a very cheap citroen c1 off my company car list for less than £100 a month and then getting a big people carrier to the kids and all their junk. Since Alfa has nothing that fits into 5 door city car nor people carriers looks like it could be a while before I'm back in an Alfa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Would the C1 do many miles? If not why not a 147 1.6? Not as good on fuel granted but you can pick them up dirt cheap these days. £100 a month adds up.
(Post Link) post #3 of 37 Old 19-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Had a 147 1.6 not that long ago, the benefit of £100 a month is that we get a brand new run around and all we need to do is add fuel. By the time I've insured and taxed a 1.6 that's going to be £500 a year or more add in servicing costs another £100 a year, adhoc repairs, tyres and it starts to make alot of sense even if it is a tin can on wheels.
AO Gold Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

He had a 1.6 147 near enough a year ago . Nice colour too

Damn, beat me to it
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
Had a 147 1.6 not that long ago, the benefit of £100 a month is that we get a brand new run around and all we need to do is add fuel. By the time I've insured and taxed a 1.6 that's going to be £500 a year or more add in servicing costs another £100 a year, adhoc repairs, tyres and it starts to make alot of sense even if it is a tin can on wheels.
So you just pay £100 a month for as long as you own it then hand it back when you've had enough? There's no tax to pay on top of that or anything?
(Post Link) post #6 of 37 Old 19-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Yeah must have been, bought that just before we moved house as a stopped gap when I sold my GTV and 156 in the same weekend, was a nice little motor that one. Last time I saw it was filthy and the front numberplate was sitting on the dash
(Post Link) post #7 of 37 Old 19-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

There is bit of benefit in kind tax but it's pretty low since the car is so efficient, the cost per month is £98 for a 5 door with aircon.
AO Gold Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

Quote:
Yeah must have been, bought that just before we moved house as a stopped gap when I sold my GTV and 156 in the same weekend, was a nice little motor that one. Last time I saw it was filthy and the front numberplate was sitting on the dash
save it pleease I kind of miss that car good replacement though
(Post Link) post #9 of 37 Old 20-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Too late I reckon the guys probably planted it into a field by now! Your new car is much better even if the fuel economy is more than 50% worse!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

6C 2500

Traitor Turncoat etc etc

Don't worry, after driving those 2 for a while you'll be begging to get another Alfa

Yeah.... that's the logic.

In real life, if we're honest.. you're going to buy the C1, use that for ferrying the kids and the junk around in, while you buy a GTV v6 with the difference.

Trust me.. you know it is The Truth!

Ralf S.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
While I see your logic Mr-Caine, I fail to understand it. I presume you have bought an Alfa as a car that you enjoy driving, therefore I must assume you are a lover of enjoyable motoring. I see that the C1 is cheap to run but what you gain in savings you loose in enjoyment and also it is a big step down in terms of refinement. We all know alfa switch gear falls apart but the french are no better when it comes to trim falling off their vehicles even if the engines are more reliable. Journeys will become a chore rather than a pleasure. Motorway driving will be horrible with that oh so powerful 3 cylinder. Why not just get a 5 door 147 diesel or if you need more space then a 156 sw. Both can be had for low money and are a far superior. Or they could be had as your 2nd people carrier option rather than one of those abominations we see cloging up our high streets which will be just as unreliable as they are generally treated like dirt and not looked after. ( I assume you aren't buying a new one) Yep the alfa may cost a little more in servicing and upkeep but the positives outweight the negatives when weighed up against the C1 and when placed against the people carrier.....well there is no contest. Anyway...what do I know

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Here's a good reason not to buy a C1/107/Aygo thingy ....

Mother and daughter survive after lorry carrying 3,000 chickens crushes their car | Mail Online

Last edited by Quadrofoglio; 21-09-11 at 10:58.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
"No suggestion of foul (fowl?) play" - brilliant.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrofoglio View Post
Another very good reason. And before someone pipes up about 4 star euro N-cap ratings they do stipulate in he guidelines that cars are only tested against cars of similar size so a 4 star little car still won't stand up to an equivilent 4 star car in a larger catagory.
(Post Link) post #16 of 37 Old 21-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Have you seen the crash test for a 156 or 147 ...... I suspect it would have done no better.

I reality is that my car just doesn't get used so I will probably get a C1 off the company car list and my wife will use that to get the kids to school and park up at work, it will end up being her car. Will make her life easier with parking her current car near the school. My sister has a C1 and compared to the 156 it's a tin can but its a fantastic car for driving short distances. My wife has a C4 diesel that will be used for long distance driving, we tended to use that anyway, being a hatchback it was slightly more practical than the 156 and being a diesel was better on the fuel, having said that the Alfa 156 was always much nicer to drive imo.

I've had 4 x 156 (TS, JTD, GTA, JTS) 1 x 147 (TS) 2 x GTV (TS, V6) and have kind of done it to death. None of the current crop of Alfa cars really inspire me, the new Giulietta looks just like the Fiat Bravo to me but costs about twice the money. What might happen in the long run is that the C4 gets swapped out but I was considering swapping it out for a C4 Grand Picasso, loads of room for stuff.

I see a flaw in your logic.

You didn't have a GT yet!

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Get an older Alfa as a toy. You'll soon feel the love again!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Have you seen the crash test for a 156 or 147 ...... I suspect it would have done no better.

I reality is that my car just doesn't get used so I will probably get a C1 off the company car list and my wife will use that to get the kids to school and park up at work, it will end up being her car. Will make her life easier with parking her current car near the school. My sister has a C1 and compared to the 156 it's a tin can but its a fantastic car for driving short distances. My wife has a C4 diesel that will be used for long distance driving, we tended to use that anyway, being a hatchback it was slightly more practical than the 156 and being a diesel was better on the fuel, having said that the Alfa 156 was always much nicer to drive imo.

I've had 4 x 156 (TS, JTD, GTA, JTS) 1 x 147 (TS) 2 x GTV (TS, V6) and have kind of done it to death. None of the current crop of Alfa cars really inspire me, the new Giulietta looks just like the Fiat Bravo to me but costs about twice the money. What might happen in the long run is that the C4 gets swapped out but I was considering swapping it out for a C4 Grand Picasso, loads of room for stuff.
Yes I have seen the footage. I don't think the 156 got a rating as it was too early but I'm sure it would be poor. My problem is the small car thing. If you were to hit a wall in the C1 at the same speed as the alfa I'm sure the alfa would come off slightly better due to increased crumple zone and the fact that it isn't made in China(have you seen their cars). DOn't get me wrong the modern stuff is lightyears ahead these days and a modern car of the same size would destroy the 156/147 but it all boils down to physics. Force,mass and acceleration. For every action their is an equal and opposite reaction. And when mass is larger you know which object will come off worse. Still it is your choice Could you not wait for a 5 door mito? Anyhoooo on terms of the C4 I like them. Nice to look at, WRC heritage and a funky steering wheel that doesn't spin in the middle. Always been tempted by a C6 but I'd have to get rid of the alfa or bmw to have it so no Can't see why you'd want a picasso mind. Espace/Vel satis is tre cooler if you do have to have one

Oh and ralf has you with the GT
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
And when mass is larger you know which object will come off worse.
Not always ...

Fifth Gear - Renault Modus v Volvo 940 Crash Test - YouTube
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Ok I stand corrected but that shows the avantages of medium and large size cars with a much larger crumple zone. I be interested to see how a small C1 size car came off against it.

This large vs small isn't so great even though I acept that all cars aren't the same. I'm sure with euro nap 4 star the c1 is better but the smart did get 3 stars. sorry about the crappy ad before
smart vs big merc

also sorry to Mr Caine as these aren't inspiring vids. Just making the point as to my choice
(Post Link) post #22 of 37 Old 22-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

C1 is made in Czech Republic not China thank goodness. Re. crash performance it's not a big factor for me, I don't plan to have an accident, I've got an Aprilia RSV1000 which has no crash protection! The Volvo video is pretty scary really.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Well enjoy it anyway. You've made your choice Hopefully you will be back

He's buying a GT?

Ralf S.
(Post Link) post #25 of 37 Old 22-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

I haven't fully made my choice yet . There is a Y reg GTV V6 for sale near me but the person wants a crazy £4k for it and it's a bit battered. If I was going GT it would need to be the V6, diesel doesn't do it for me and the JTS hasn't really got enough go for the bodywork. I almost bought a GT JTS last time before I bought my last 156 but the requirement for 4 doors meant the GT was a no go and I think they're a little bit too expensive 2nd hand for a pretty car that is effectively the same as a 156/147.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , leaving

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page