After 10 bellas and 7 on the belt.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 10-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
After 10 bellas and 7 on the belt....

.... I've "defected", am a "turncoat" or "what, its not an Alfa" according to those who know me in the real world

So my reflections on the cars I've had:

In a way the best was, certainly as an all-rounder, was the '90 164 8 valve Arese twin spark with an Jan/Autodelta map.

The 3 164/166's' engines were just magnifico but the chassis couldn't keep up with them.

Of the 2 155 2.0 ts the first, which was professionally lowered even with increased offset rear wheels to clear the arches & 180 bhp map by Peter at Alwyn Kershaw, was the best handling FWD car I've ever had, full stop; until the Bast£$%d council put speed hump squares up our street.

And the last, the 156 2.4 veloce wi Gus/Alfatune map was a more recent all-rounder success. Without a doubt the best looking car I probably will ever own.

So it's replacement. Given the context for these thoughts is that I am at the £2k corner of the car parc.

When the Mk5 Golf gti came out I remember remarking that "That's the sort of car Alfa should be making" and now they are with the Guilletta. So here is the before and after.

What do you think?

Will come back home when I can afford Multi Air
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 103_0613.jpg (75.7 KB, 7 views)

Quadcamboy? Has anyone seen 3 camshafts lying around anywhere?

Evidence of my disease: '79 Alfasud 1.5ti, '80 2.0 Gulietta, '89 164 2.0ts, '90 75 2.0ts, '92 164 3.0 24v Super, '94 164 3.0 24v Super, '96 155 widebody 2.0ts Super, '97 155 widebody 2.0sp, '99 166 3.0 Super, '51 2.4 jtd 156 sp2. Looks like there aint a cure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mudhut

Good choice the Octavia.

Mine is a 59 plate vRS (Golf Mk5 chassis). Now I know this will irritate those who see Alfas through rose tinted specs but my car is miles better than my GTA in the ride and handling department. It's composure under pressure is truly staggering and to drive it, you'd think it has a Q2. It fails to meet the Alfa GTA standards of involvement, styling and outright acceleration performance even though it pulls really well (but then it is an oil burner). It's way more practical on a day to day basis and although it meeds all my current and future needs it just doesn't excite me like the GTA and I don't go out for a drive just for the hell of it. In a word it's a little dull - the petrol version might have been more fun.

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Call me what you want and i'm sorry....but it's no Alfa !!
mudhut

No. You are quite right - it's a very different car. Superior and inferior at the same time.

(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhut View Post
No. You are quite right - it's a very different car. Superior and inferior at the same time.
My thoughts exactly.
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Skoda Octavia is a very well built and reliable car.
Thousands of European taxi drivers know a good work horse when the see one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
bellas , belt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page