When is Alfa ACTUALLY coming back to North America? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 25-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Québec

Member car:

Kia Rio 5

When is Alfa ACTUALLY coming back to North America?

Specifically, I want to know when they will be opening dealerships and where.

Anyone have any firm dates/knowledge of plans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Nev

It's been, "Next year." for the last 10 years so iwouldn't hold your breath...

AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
2012 ... Sergio Says ... first car available will be the 4C at end of 2012, after that I guess the SUV and the Giulietta
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmunn View Post
2012 ... Sergio Says ... first car available will be the 4C at end of 2012, after that I guess the SUV and the Giulietta
I hope they dont go for american spec trims then....
Nev

Here's my handy cut-out'n'keep guide to Alfa US launch news:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/gener...ml#post3139797

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Alfa made more of an effort with the 159 I thought, as they put it through some kind of American type approval.

Still didn't result in the return of Alfa to N America however!
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51
They didnt have a (n expensive) dealer network then, now they have a ready made one. This is the main difference I can see between then and now..
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I've finally seen my first, followed about a week later by my second, Fiat 500 on the road. The first was black, the second was red.

When I saw the first one, I happened to be in a car with three other automotive enthusiasts. All of us have owned (or own) small cars. None of us were impressed. Personally, it struck me as a car design based on dinky car you'd give a two- or three-year-old: one where the primary design feature is that it would fit well in small, pudgy hands with tiny little, still learning fine motor control figures. The others in the car were less enthusiastic. It really was a disappointing moment, especially after all the rave reviews I've read here about the car's styling.

I offer up that observation only as a by-the-way of saying (and I can't believe I'm going to put these words to the screen) that now that I've seen with my own eyes the return of Fiat to these shores, there may just be the tiniest bit of a real possibility of Alfa actually returning.

Now don't get me wrong. It's about as far from a sure thing, done deal as it's possible to get without bending time and space into a loop, but it's much more a possibility than it was ten years ago, five years ago, two years ago, etc.
--Toronto
(Post Link) post #9 of 28 Old 26-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Kia Rio 5

Toronto,

It seems you missed the point of the car. It's design was based on the original and is exactly what an updated version should have been.

It is just not a car that looks at place on North American roads because it is so much smaller (or dinky) than everything else.

Just as huge Yank cars look ridiculous on European roads.

I had no idea the SUV existed. How utterly disappointing and ugly. If they had to bow to market pressure and make an SUV they could have come up with some innovative. It just looks like those ugly Saab SUVs.

I'm off to practice holding my breath.......
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

I understand retro design. I'm familiar with the idea of capturing the essence of cars that went before. As I said, I own and drive small cars and actually really like them.

It's just that the Fiat left me completely underwhelmed.

Maybe it's just that there was too much hype here (and other places) for any car to live up to the billing, and the reality paled beside all the enthusiasm and worship.

But I think it's just that the soft, blobby shape doesn't appeal to me personally. That's what I mean when I say it looks like a dinky car for a toddler. It has absolutely nothing to do with the size. Cars designed for really young children typically aren't sleek or shapely. They're just round-ish blobs without corners so the young kids can easily manipulate and not hurt themselves (too badly) with. So that's what I thought of when I see the Fiat, and it's just not my cup of tea.

I know I keep saying this here, but generally Canadians driver smaller cars then Americans, and our tastes are slightly more European than our neighbours to the south (although that has started to change over the last few years). As an example, wagons sell relatively well here when their sales crash and burn in the States. So it's not that the car looked wrong on the roads. To be honest, the only reason I even noticed it is we were coming up behind it and the badge caught my eye. Otherwise I wouldn't have likely paid it too much attention. (That plus the fact I'd just had a discussion a couple days before about the fact I hadn't seen any Fiats on the road yet.) Actually it so didn't stand out on the road that I had to point to it and say, "hey that's the new Fiat," and as I said, I was in the car with people who really know their cars.

I'm an aware enough motorist to know which brands of cars are around me at pretty much any given time, so I would have noticed it and registered it, but it certainly isn't one of those cars that just automatically catches my eye and turns my head whenever I see one.

For the record, I'm with you 100 per cent about SUVs. Can't stand them. Don't understand them. Don't like riding in them or driving them. Hate the fact that you can't see around/through them when you're behind them in a small, low-to-the-ground car.
--Toronto

Last edited by Toronto Spider; 26-08-11 at 04:39.
AO Member

County: Illinois
The compact boxy suv isn't what is coming. Rather , it is a cuv with a blend of Mito and giulietta styling and an awd option. Engines will be shared with a new compact jeep built at the Mirafiori works, and are either a 1.75 liter FG, 2.0 liter chrysler or a 2.4 liter chrysler all multi-airs. Source is suvtracker.com from autocar and autonews europe. A 2.0 liter diesel will also be offered, as well as the TCT gearbox. For me, it's the 2.4/TCT combo coming in spring 2013 in anthracite grey (as a cloverleaf).

Last edited by yankalfisti; 28-08-11 at 02:31.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I think the whole point of Alfa coming back to the US is to actually sell cars and make a profit. An SUV is the way the world is going for volume sales, people like that fact you get good visibility and you can get in and out easily. So why shouldnt Alfa be in that market with a sportier SUV something about the size of a Tiguan I'd reckon. Not surprised that Toronto Spider didnt like the 500 on first viewing, its one of these designs that gets better on subsequent viewings. I've driven a couple of them and its a nice funky wee car, and I'm sure it will sell reasonably. Fiat/Chrysler have to keep improving it as they go, this is one of the tricks the Germans and Japanese are good at. Keep the momentum up.

Alfa are also planning "real" alfas for the US such as the spider, plu sof course the amazing 4C which is obviously niche product.

What chance a Jeep version of the New Panda 4x4??? that would be a neat urban vehicle for Canadas snowy winters...
Nev

I have to agree with TS about the 500.

It's body is too small for it's chassis and it looks like a pyramid.

It won't sell in any great numbers in NA but could be seen
as the ideal car to set up/refine the supply and service chain....

The only Alfa that may appear over the pond will be the 4C.
(If they don't ****-can the project before it goes into production....)

A restyled 4x4 Panda may be a good idea for the US.
Not sure if/how the Mini Countryman is selling over there, but an
ulta-compact "SUV" could hit pay-dirt if marketed correctly...

County: Surrey
Tor,

I agree with you 100% about the 500; it's a cheesy, retro pastiche. It'll work well in Europe where we can nod in knowing sympathy at its chi-chi references to a car made in the last century, but how on earth Fiat expects this formula to crack a market nostalgically apathetic to a car that once sold well in a market 6,000 miles away from its own, is beyond me. Fiat would have been better off sending in the earnest Panda, and flogging it on the idea that it's a good car (which it is), rather than relying on selling a euro 'coolness' that has zip relevance to the market.

That said...is the MINI selling well in Canada?

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Alfa can only return to the US when they have the tools for the job, which won't be for at least another two years. A small number of 4Cs might make it over before then, assuming it makes it to production, in order to create interest in the brand. Trying to launch the brand now with a sub-compact hatch, compact hatch, and a dead horse, would be suicide.

Both the previously mentioned SUVs seem to have dropped off the radar; instead there is talk of a "compact crossover". If this turns out to be a jacked-up Giulietta with plastic panels nailed down the sides I am going to be so disappointed; it needs to be a separate model with its own identity. There is, however, going to be a Maserati SUV (based on the Jeep Grand Cherokee) which is due to make its debut at next months' Frankfurt show. I would guess that the large SUV was given to Maserati instead of Alfa as the badge can command a higher price, and Maserati already have a presence in the US.
AO Member

County: Illinois
The compact crossover will be slightly wider and longer than the giulietta to provide more rear seat room and a wider track. The overall design will be integrated between mito and giulietta and provide for awd. It should fit our market perfectly.
(Post Link) post #17 of 28 Old 28-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Kia Rio 5

Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
Tor,

is the MINI selling well in Canada?

There are Minis everywhere here. And I have seen quite a number of 500s. All driven by "cool" people.

Disagree with the pyramid comments about the 500. I am not a fan of Fiat but I think they hit the nail on the head with that one. The tapered top I imagine is to give it a more aggressive and less bubble car look. I am sure it will sell like hot cakes here in Montreal.

As for the Panda, the Suzuki SX4 here is doing very well. So maybe it would be a wise idea to market the Panda strongly.
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post

Brilliant Nev. Some might say you are a cynic - or a realist!

AO Gold Member

Member car:

1973 Spider 2000

Since it's too hard to cut and paste chart figures and make them look good here, I'll just provide links.

American sales

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com (data link)

Chevrolet Cruze is in the top five of all sellers, just below the pick-ups. I mention the Cruze because price-wise it's directly in the 500 territory and it is definitely on the smaller end of the size scale.

(Actually here in Canada right now I can buy a base Cruze for about $2000 cheaper than I can buy a base 500. As for a top of the line, spec'd-to-the-gills 500, it comes in (here) at about $2000 less than the starting price of a Camaro. For a little over two grand in difference, I know which one would end up on my driveway.)

Ford Focus sales seem to be hurting a bit this month, although overall for the year they're up a bit.

Mini seems to be on track for selling more cars this year than last (although Smart seems to be hurting) and Kia is definitely going strong.
April Sales Figures: Small Cars Trump Big Trucks | AutoGuide.com News

At the end of July there were around 8,000 Fiats on the road.
Chrysler Group LLC Reports July 2011 U.S. Sales Increased 20 Percent;... -- AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Aug. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --

Canadian sales
Mini is very, very strong, and Smart (which has always sold well) is dropping like a stone.
http://www.desrosiers.ca/pdfs/sales.pdf

I'll agree, that yes, Minis are thick on the ground here. I don't know that they're driven by "cool" people, but the demographic does tend to trend younger (say 40 and under).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW press release
MINI sales for the first quarter of 2011 totalled 760 units, representing an increase of 12.8 per cent compared to Q1 2010. Two models providing impetus for the brand in the first quarter of 2011 were the MINI Clubman, which reached an increase of 48.6 per cent compared to the first quarter of 2010, and the all-new MINI Countryman (not available in Q1 2010).
BMW CANADA INC. | BMW Group Canada reports strong first quarter

MINI reported sales of 463 units in July, an increase of 14.3 per cent over July, 2010. Leading the charge was the MINI Convertible models with a 34 per cent increase. MINI has sold 2,903 units so far in 2011, an increase of 16.4 per cent over the same period last year.
BMW CANADA INC. | BMW Group Canada achieves best-ever July.
I can't say I've seen a Countryman on the road yet, although I could be mistaken about that.

Chrysler seems to be finally getting a few Fiat 500s on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler Fiat press release
Fiat 500 sales were up 20 per cent, with 680 units, compared to sales during the previous month of June, 2011. Sales of the new Chrysler 200 were up 36 per cent with 550 units, versus sales of the model's previous generation with 404 units a year ago.
CHRYSLER CANADA INC. | Chrysler Canada records best July sales on record in its 86 year history
--Toronto
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
MINI sold 2,438 cars (all models) in the UK last month, and a total of 27,058 YTD.

Alfa sold 694 cars, with a total of 7,182 YTD.

Source:SMMT

County: Cork
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmunn View Post

Not 2012 anymore, 2013 scheduled for the release of the 4C now, more info here Alfa Romeo at the 64th International Motor Show in Frankfurt - Comunicati Stampa - Fiat Group Automobiles Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post

Time for another update Nev

GTA_Nigel

Italian planning! Nev is so right on this one.....

(Post Link) post #23 of 28 Old 18-01-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Kia Rio 5

Old thread revival! I am sooo excited. Will be great to see some new Alfas on the road over here, no matter what the end article is like.
GTA_Nigel

And old thread answer - it's been delayed again. Don't hold your breath, here's some commentary from the Detroit show:

The brand's much-anticipated return to the United States has been delayed as it struggles to get the powertrain and other elements of a future Alfa portfolio in order. The 4C has been delayed, though it is being tested in the United States.

"The car is not where it needs to be," he said.

And neither is the rest of Alfa.

"This undertaking to bring Alfa back is a one-shot deal," he said. "We're not going to change our mind. We're not going to do it twice. We're not going to execute it poorly."

Marchionne did not give a timeline for Alfa's return.

"We need to be ready for Alfa," he said. "We are not ready."

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
We've been talking about it for at least 6 or 7 years, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , america , back , coming , north

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page