156 Sportwagon vs 145 Cloverleaf - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 14-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

156 Sportwagon vs 145 Cloverleaf

I've been scanning the classifieds for a few weeks trying to find a good unmodified 145 Cloverleaf. There are some ultra low mileage show cars out there and some very well cared for modified examples, but I'm having difficulty finding anything outwardly standard that's suitable for use as a daily driver. So much so in fact, that I started getting distracted by another Alfa.

I've always liked the looks of the 156 and I couldn't believe how cheap they've become recently. The slight problem is I need something with folding seats, which would mean finding a good Sportwagon. What's more, although I wouldn't say no to a Twin Spark in the 145, it would seem a shame to pass on one of the last great Alfa V6s in a car where they're actually available. So, basically I ended up with a spec for a 156 Sportwagon with the V6 and the manual gearbox (preferably in red ) ... something which appears to be even rarer than a 145 Cloverleaf!

Anyway, waffle aside. How do people reckon the two would compare? I've got a suburban commute which I figure would favour the 145 in both mpg and parking ability, but I also do quite a lot of long motorway journies, where I can see the 156 V6 really coming into its own. Handling-wise I'm guessing the 145 would be sharper? And in terms of ownership prospects both seem to be quite cheap to acquire and fundamentally pretty reliable I understand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cozzmik

I would go for the 156 but be careful if you want the v6 as low 20s mpg can grate a little after a while,i have got 30 out of mine on a run but thats driving like a saint,which the v6 wasnt designed for.
The sportwagon is very pretty but i would go for a 2.0 or even a 1.8 as they handle better than the v6.The 145 is getting old now but still a fine car,but id go for the 156.....

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Definitely different driving experiences...in my experience the 145 makes you feel like a boy racer, its like a terrier always wanting to be scampering off, whereas the 156 wagon is a lot more grown-up - more comfortable but still good-handling.....we run a 1.6 wagon as milady's daily car and its fine, and I have a few 2.0 wagons about, but I do see the attraction of a V6 one, and when I've run a V6 saloon they haven't been too thirsty, certainly on a run.....last one I delivered to Great Yarmouth from up here in the North-west, and got over 30mpg whilst averaging over 55mph door-to-door.....

As an alternative - there's always a 146 - often better looked after and less thrashed than a 145.

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 15-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

The fuel consumption is a bit of a concern. My other car has a 5-litre V8 so the idea is to get something comparitively economical for daily duties to compensate. The noise of that V6, though... It is tempting.

Granted, opening it up to four cylinder 156s probably would make things easier, but (on a brief glance) finding well looked after V6 Sportwagons seems barely any more straightforward than good 145s. Plus I think the 145s have reached the stage where a small number of Cloverleafs are now very well looked after (plenty of new bits, regular rust treatment etc.) - there are a lot of dogs, but they have the sort of cult following that occasionally yields something special.

County: Oxfordshire
I much prefer the way the 145 drives to be honest. It is more raw and seat of the pants.

It isn't much faster, but it feels it. The gearing is shorter, and it seems more nimble through the bends.

On paper there isn't much between them, but on the road a 145 is much more fun, although if you plan to use the car on longer trips the 156 is more comfortable.

Depends what you want really.

The 146 is good as well, but doesn't drive quite as well as the 145 because it is heavier and I prefer the 145's looks.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 120d M sport
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 sw / gtv

Sportwagon is a great car especially when needed for carrying loads when the seats are down, also good looking and fairly quick, the 145 also looks great especially the rear which seems to be zagato inspired.
I'd like a 145 cloverleaf to add to my collection also like the 155 very muscular.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 16-08-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just how raw is the 145?

I have a dilemma here in that I have a short suburban commute four or five days a week where it could be as loud and as harsh as it likes if it livened things up a bit, but I do quite a few long motorway journeys at weekends. My current daily driver is a base-spec Focus, though, so it's not as if I'm coming from a nice wafty Jag or anything.

I know the obvious answer is 'try one' but both models are pretty thin on the ground at the moment and I've not found one that's local enough to call in speculatively or looks promising enough to justify travelling to view yet...

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris71 View Post
Just how raw is the 145?

I have a dilemma here in that I have a short suburban commute four or five days a week where it could be as loud and as harsh as it likes if it livened things up a bit, but I do quite a few long motorway journeys at weekends. My current daily driver is a base-spec Focus, though, so it's not as if I'm coming from a nice wafty Jag or anything.

I know the obvious answer is 'try one' but both models are pretty thin on the ground at the moment and I've not found one that's local enough to call in speculatively or looks promising enough to justify travelling to view yet...
They are raw, but no so raw that you can't use it every day.

The ride is a bit harsh compared to a 156 and the car will be doing around 4000rpm at 80mph.

I wouldn't have a problem personally using one for a motorway trip.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
145 , 156 , cloverleaf , sportwagon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page