To wave or not to wave? That is the question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-07-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
To wave or not to wave? That is the question

Elsewhere on this forum, I have raised the subject of waving to other owners, specifically MiTo drivers.

Over the years I have owned several vehicles that have cult followings, Citroen 2CV, VW's etc, and waving was considered compulsory.

When I first took delivery of my MiTo, there weren't too many others around, and I was an enthusiastic waver, and nearly always elicited a response, but now I have noticed that, as MiTo numbers have increased, enthusiasm has decreased.

A few days ago, for example, I was stuck in heavy traffic along the M27 near Fareham, when I spotted a white MiTo in the next lane, as my MiTo is also white, I felt sure a wave would be perfectly in order, however, as I drew alongside, I beeped the horn and waved discreetly. The other driver's gaze remained fixed on he car ahead, ne'er a glance in my direction or any kind of acknowledgement. The drivers of the other cars in the queue however, looked at me pityingly.

Perhaps, it is I who is at fault. Maybe my enthusiasm is too great, recently on a trip to South of France without the car, we were cycling through a nicer part of Marseille, when a MiTo pulled up to let it's passenger go into a shop, like a demented fool, I approached the owner and blurted out in bad French, that I too had a MiTo. He looked at me, my balding head pink from the sun, and my once pristine clothes all dusty and sweaty from cycling in the heat, he smiled weakly and closed his window.

It seems enthusiasm is no longer infectious. Plus c'est change as the Marseille MiTo owner would say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

JenEllen

Oh Bally (boo) Hoo, I feel your pain! I always look to wave or at least smile when passing another car of the same breed but, alas, my efforts are usually futile

Nev

You'd eventually crash the car if you spent all day waving at
the Alfas down here.

But at lights, in the petrol station; the odd nod, smile, chat:

JenEllen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
You'd eventually crash the car if you spent all day waving at
the Alfas down here.

But at lights, in the petrol station; the odd nod, smile, chat:
I thought French people only bought French things...

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

GT

I have to share my disappointment at the lack of waving in the Alfa community :-( Being new to the Alfa world I just assumed it was the norm.
You can be made to feel quite foolish lol. But hey I will continue to wave 
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
156'ers often wave, I find.

It seems to be newer owners who generally don't - which makes me think it's because they are sometimes just getting into the marque. P'raps.

Having said that, when you're driving along and a beautifully maintained 145 cloverleaf approaches and you make a flash and a wave, and they see you and ignore you..........part of me wonders......"why are you bothering?"

different strokes I guess
AO Silver Member

County: Bangkok
I saw a classic 1750/2000 GTV pulling behind me at a parking lot and got excited...

What a cute car! Well this one was not in perfect shape, the alfa logo was torn off - was it even a GT? I'm not an expert - I just note the nice shape and 4 headlamps.

I flashed my rear fog lights and guided him to a parking spot; because at his height he probably didn't see it. I hurried to park so I could see his car.

I gazed at his car, needed some work but still ok, and gave him an approving nod - he just shrugged and walked away!

Last edited by Loknar; 18-07-11 at 01:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
question , wave

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page