Would you recommend a GT ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-06-08 Thread Starter

Would you recommend a GT ?

Chaps,

I'm currently driving s Subaru, and due to a change of job (August) and more driving I'm considering an Alfa GT (Diesel for economy)

I really like the style of the GT, but have to think with my head aswell as my heart, so have a couple of questions to any current or previous owners.

1. Are they reliable ?
2. What are servicing costs like ?

I live in Scotland (Fife), so would also appreciate any advise with regard to any Independent garages in the area.

Cheers for your advise lads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Re: Would you recommend a GT ?

Are they reliable, yes.

Servicing costs are reasonable but 12k service interval is pretty lame for a diesel thats going to motorway hack.

I did 60k miles in mine which over 3 years probably included between 5-7k of flatout trackdays, the car was bomb proof, well almost I had a power steering leak, a boost pipe leak and on an autotest style day on the roughest airstrip I broke the exhaust but it felt almost like offroading and I was hurtling along at over 100mph getting thrown allover the place.

I really couldn't grumble all that treatment and only had to put up with those things and a squeaky seat but you'd squeak to if 20 stone of me was sat on you

If I have to buy a compromise car again next year should things not go my way then a GT QV would still be on my shopping list again for sure, great allrounder, no problems keeping up with machinery that should be a lot more impressive on paper.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Yes I would

The diesel engines are good and are used by Vauxhall, SAAB and other GM cars. They have issues with the EGR valve & the MAF (common BOSCH parts IIRC). Cheap and easy to fix if they go wrong.

Other issues include the dual mass flywheel, designed to snoothen up the diesel experience. They can go and along with the clutch are dead expensive.

Otherwise apart from some suspension bush issues on high mile cars (again, cheap to fix) and interior creaks & rattles, they are pretty solid

Great looking & driving and very practical too

It's easy to squeeze 185bhp+ out of the engine too. Alfa themselves are now doing a 170bhp mapped engine

Go on, you know you want to

Simon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Some opinion here too

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...-it-again.html

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
recommend

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page