nearly got very nasty... public service announcement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 66 Old 23-06-08 Thread Starter
PEd
AO Member

nearly got very nasty... public service announcement

hi all,

on my way home tonight, i was having a good blast, nothing balls out but enjoying the open road and feeling good about it.

I enjoy my alfa, and make the most of it, im advanced driver trained and come from a family of bikers. Im always looking ahead as far as possible, and behind too.

However, whether it was complaicency, over familiarity with the route or whatever what happened I hope will encourage you all to be a bit more attentive.

On a lovely part of a dual carriageway i carried out all my mirror checks and commenced enjoyment of the overtaking lane......and nearly took a bloke clean off his motor bike. He had nowhere to go, no space to fill and only oncoming traffic to ride into, if he didnt bail out on the central reserve.

Between one mirror check and another, he had filled a blind spot. As a tall chap i sit as far back as possible, the unfortuate side effect is i have too nasty black spots in my 156, the drivers side spars (front and middle). They are big enough to obscure a bike/small car. Combined with the silly spoiler on the back visibility can require some extra attention.

I came this close to wiping the bloke out and depriving his family of a loved one.

I saw him pull into the petrol station ahead, perhaps to calm his nerves after all his sign language, so i pulled in behind him, explained that it was totally my fault and unreservedly appologised. He was annoyed but very good about it. Im just thankful that i didnt wipe him out.

Whats the point of this? Well i pay damn good attention to my mirrors and i still missed him.

Lets all just keep our eyes peeled a bit huh? You never know, someone in addition to me may learn from my error.

I didnt have the heart to point out to him that wearing black on a black bike didnt aid visibility as i felt far too guilty already, ultimately i should have seen him but it would have helped.

Hope your all well

Kind Regards
Paul

love, love is a verb, love is a doing word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Damien_C

Re: nearly got very nasty... public service announcement

Sorry to read that but at least you didn't hit him. I thought it was me but my Alfa has a massive blind spot so I know how you feel I nearly got wiped out merging onto a dual carriageway.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Good post. Glad to hear nobody was hurt. I do and sounds like you do take driving very carefully, we are humans though and we do make mistakes. Coming home on the M25 earlier, saw an Audi on the hard shoulder (had been in an accident) looked a total mess, goes to show what can happen on the roads.
AO Member

Lucky. Both of you. Easily done though and they do say that the most dangerous road is the one you travel everyday.

Nice touch to go and speak to the guy.

You could look at it all in a positive way. You have learnt from it, he has too I would imagine and all who read this will take it on board.

Take care.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Damien, I find the blindspots quite large too, especially after driving a Citreon C4 Picasso (courtesy car) for a while... That has excellent visibility!
Nev

A lesson we can all learn from.

AO Platinum Member

County: Gloucestershire

PEd, great post. it is good for us to all know and re-learn that yes, we are ALL able to make mistakes, no matter how good a driver you think you are.

You did the best thing to follow him into the petrol station and apologise, and not to be a coward and carry on.

Very humbling.
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Hi paul,

one can only do as much as possible and as you said I have also driven a bike as well in my life. I like you are very aware of bikers etc and sit well back from wheel in my 156. yes i agree those blind spots are there and are a pain in the asre! As you at least he was ok....It would seem to me that the biker was travelling quick and as such perhaps it was not 100% youe fault ...? Anyway at least no one was hurt and the guy on the bike was ok..

Dermot

Run away with my wife kill my child but dont touch my car

CYCLISTS! THEY PAY NOTHING I TELL YA NOTHING
FRANKLY i DON'T GIVE A DAMN
IF THE ABS LIGHT IS ON ITS TOO LATE !
100% OF NON SMOKERS DIE TOO
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

A good post, we all need a bit of a reminder now and again. Glad no one was hurt and well done for having the balls to offer the apology.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Excellent post indeed. Glad no-one got hurt and all was fine. I suppose the lesson is also to look and look again.

Having ridden bikes myself I always look over my shoulder as well as checking my mirrors before pulling out to overtake, it only takes half a second to double check but bikes can come up on you so quickly, especially on twisty A roads where you may be frustrated behind someone, see an overtaking chance so you have a quick glance in the mirror, nothing visible so indicate and pull out to squirt past. A bike could have been a few cars behind when you last looked back but your attention has been focussed forwards looking for your chance so when you check your mirrors to pull out the bike can be in your blindspot and your nice day out suddenly becomes the worst nightmare you've ever been through!
Only once almost got knocked off myself but luckily managed to wiggle my way out of it. However I've been a hospital visitor - funeral suit wearer too many times to forget the looking over the shoulder part of bike riding, even tho I drive a car these days!
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar 145 View Post
Damien, I find the blindspots quite large too, especially after driving a Citreon C4 Picasso (courtesy car) for a while... That has excellent visibility!
Ya the 146 is pretty bad at the front end and side for blindspots. And esp when someone is sitting the passo seat it's a ******* to see if you are pulling out of a junction.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2

PEd, are you sure it was entirely your fault? The biker should have seen your signal and acted on it accordingly. Or are you a member of the school of advanced driving that doesn't believe in indicating if you can't see anyone to indicate to?
(Post Link) post #14 of 66 Old 23-06-08 Thread Starter
PEd
AO Member

He could have been more visible but at the end of the day i should have seen him, my bad, hands up.

Didnt really post to discuss blame, just to heighten awareness. Job done i think.

I think you were equally to blame if i'm honest, he should have noticed you pulling out if you were indeed indicating, but you should have checked mirrors atleast twice.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degu View Post
I think you were equally to blame if i'm honest, he should have noticed you pulling out if you were indeed indicating, but you should have checked mirrors atleast twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEd View Post
..... i carried out all my mirror checks and commenced enjoyment of the overtaking lane......and nearly took a bloke clean off his motor bike.....

Between one mirror check and another, he had filled a blind spot.
From the sounds of it, Paul carried out at least two mirror checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy156 View Post
From the sounds of it, Paul carried out at least two mirror checks.
Ah right I misread that, I normally quickly check a third time but i'd imagine he did that too otherwise the biker probably would have ended up coming off.
AO Platinum Member

If Paul is from a family of bikers, I'm very sure he'd be doing all the checks he needs to

|Anyway, his thread is one of awareness, not blame
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Thanks for sharing this Paul, it will hopefully help us all be a little bit more careful.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

[QUOTE=Hammy156;1874339]If Paul is from a family of bikers, I'm very sure he'd be doing all the checks he needs to

Agreed!
AO Member

Member car:

None yet

I read somewhere about modern cars being more prone to having blind spots, due to the thicker pillars needed for better crashworthiness. I have to turn my head to check when joining highways because I don't trust the tiny side mirrors and the thick B and C pillars blocking the view.

On the other hand, in a 1960's Mercedes saloon, it's a clear view outside thanks to the thin pillars... although I wouldn't want to test their strength.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Good post Paul and brave of you to follow the guym and apologise.

I always fit blind-spot mirrors to my cars. They look pants but are invaluable in such situations.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friggertool View Post
are you a member of the school of advanced driving that doesn't believe in indicating if you can't see anyone to indicate to?
As a former advanced driving instructor (NOT IAM!!!) this shouldnt be used on the road.

It is used during asessments as you should always be aware of what is around you and look for vehicles 'dissapearing' - as they are usually in your blind spot. Its used in asessment to indicate that you know there is nothing there.

Its good advanced practice to indicate at all times in one way systems (like motorways) however in case you have missed something, or a 200mph motorbike has just appeared up the inside.

I still check my left hand mirror before pulling away from the lights, something thats not in the normal driving handbook, but kills a lot of cyclists.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Good post PEd. Well done for following him in and apologising, I don't think many people would have done that.

I'm super-aware of bikers as my brother rides a Blade and has come off twice breaking both his collar bones, he's now on his way to being a Barry Sheen replica. But, I've still missed the odd bike when driving.

The rule is to always check your mirrors, and blind spot, and mirrors again, I'm normally quite good at picking up bikers in my rearview if I know I'm about to make a manouvre soon, that way you know potentially they're going to be on top of you soon, and if you can't see them when you go to move, and they haven't gone past you, they're sitting on your shoulder. I even check the mirrors when doing little things like flicking ash and fag butts out of my window.

We're all people on the road trying to get somewhere, and if everyone was more considerate the world would be a better place (and if we had more donkey sanctuaries )

Well done again PEd.

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

I missed a police car with blue lights on in my blind spot once on the M5. Oops !!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
announcement , nasty , public , service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page