Car Magazine have finally "come out" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 42 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Car Magazine have finally "come out"

the pathetic pretence that they have a benevolent interest in Alfa is completely shot.

The new GBU - didn't they get rid of the old GBU for some pretensious and posey reason that contradicted the reason they'd previously held for running it - cuts every Alfa off at the knees apart from the 147 (sympathy in old age) and the GT (better than the Brera).

It's inconsistent in that it hauls in the Brera S with the slagging then later on gives it a decent write-up in a test drive....sloppy.;

I'm cancelling because:

- the bmw obsession is stupid and now runs to a concept car clothed in a BEDSHEET
- the porsche obsession is all pervasive and boring
- they lack any intelligent, wry or amusing wit that avoids smugness
- they are *****s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Re: Car Magazine have finally "come out"

Either I'm tired or that post didn't make a whole lot of sense Steve...

It makes sense to me other than i don't know what GBU means. Maybe because i've never read the magazine? EVO is my car mag of choice....and they tend to have a Porsche obsession too!
(Post Link) post #4 of 42 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

OK

the first bit is my biased opinion:

"the pathetic pretence that they (Car Magazine) have a benevolent interest in Alfa is completely shot (i.e.ruined, in my opinion).

The new GBU (the Good, the Bad....oh shut up)...- didn't they get rid of the old GBU for some pretensious and posey reason that contradicted the reason they'd previously held for running it - cuts every Alfa off at the knees apart from the 147 (sympathy in old age, perhaps) and the GT (better than the Brera, so they say).

It is inconsistent in that it slags off the Brera S then later on gives it a decent write-up in a test drive....sloppy work.

I'm cancelling my subscription because:

- the bmw obsession is increasingly stupid and now runs to a concept car clothed in a BEDSHEET
- the porsche obsession is all pervasive and increasingly boring
- there is a lack of any intelligent, wry or amusing wit that avoids smugness
- they are *****s

????

what is confusing?
AO Silver Member

The fact that my brain is falling asleep perhaps

Carry on.
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Gave up reading "Car" for exactly the same reasons over a year ago.
Stick with "Evo" for the best magazine for petrolheads

Didn't know it was union affiliated though

(Post Link) post #7 of 42 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

i think I am having trouble giving up CAR

they were the first and only mag with "clever" writers who made sense, amusing and informing....and they had the "clout" with designers et al.

hurumph
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
the pathetic pretence that they have a benevolent interest in Alfa is completely shot.

The new GBU - didn't they get rid of the old GBU for some pretensious and posey reason that contradicted the reason they'd previously held for running it - cuts every Alfa off at the knees apart from the 147 (sympathy in old age) and the GT (better than the Brera).

It's inconsistent in that it hauls in the Brera S with the slagging then later on gives it a decent write-up in a test drive....sloppy.;

I'm cancelling because:

- the bmw obsession is stupid and now runs to a concept car clothed in a BEDSHEET
- the porsche obsession is all pervasive and boring
- they lack any intelligent, wry or amusing wit that avoids smugness
- they are *****s
Bud, i'm with you.

during the 1980s, CAR showed me the power of the written word. It had a balanced perspective on the auto world. But as i've said before, with the advent of the excellent Evo, the populist acceptance of TopGear, the 'this'll do for this week' ubiquity of Autocar, there's no room for CAR. Ironically, it shaped all of these magazines and the success they have enjoyed.

It breaks my heart to say so, but CAR - now so pretentious and thuddingly dull - has become the very magazine it set out to counter. I like Green and Kacher...but little else. The icon has crumbled. And i have no idea how it can be resurrected.

g

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

The photography was always top notch. Is that still the case???
(Post Link) post #10 of 42 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

thanks Scudetto

half of my problem is that the CAR of my past would have recognised the problems of the fuel crisis (to come) and the current credit crunch - the current editorial team have developed a purile fifth-gear reactionary outlook - it's not even daft enough to be amusing

you can't be funny

so be insightful and witty

and that takes brains
AO Member

County: -

yeah, they are a pathetic now apart forom Gavin Green.. I sent them this letter last year which they didn't publish or respond to:

Dear Sir,

I have become used by now to the lack of consistency in the UK motoring press when it comes to reviewing Alfa Romeos. Many UK motoring hacks are all too happy to roll out all those tired old clichés and sterotypes. Subjectivity is one thing, but reading the recent reviews in CAR of the 8C Competizione it seemed as though I was reading about completely different cars!

"What music!" enthused Gavin Green(CAR, December), "the finest motor music this side of a Ferrari V12". In the next month's issue of CAR Phil MacNamara was similarly enamoured: “its roar intoxicates” he exclaims. But two of his young colleagues(Chilton and Barry) subsequently complain that the 8C is too loud: "it's trying too hard , screaming for everybody to look at it, the neglected kid at school, standing on its head, back flipping and landing ta-da! with outstretched arms. 'Look, Alfa is back it's saying. 'Remember us?'" says Barry while the bashful Chilton agrees: "its actually a little bit over-done."

"The steering is light and sharp" says Green. A month later Phil MacNamara disagrees: "the heavy steering demands real effort”.

Green finds the gear-change "fast, almost instantaneous" while Chilton a month later complains that it feels "as sophisticated as a three-speed crash-box compared to the Ferrari".

"This is a fast car but not that fast" ascertains Chilton in the "Monaco to Modena" piece while Barry a couple of pages previously reckons "even the Scuderia would struggle to build a lead". The Scuderia, let's not forget, beats even the mighty Enzo around Fiorano. The 8C can't be too much of a slouch then....

There are too many inconsistencies here, too many contradictions and exagerrations. There are significant inaccuracies too: "The problem lies with the dynamics, with the ageing Maserati underpinnings" complains Barry in the Monte Carlo to Modena piece. That's not the case though. The 8C is no relation to the old Coupe/Gransport. I clarified with the 8C's designers that the car is based on a shortened version of the brand-new, very much up-to-date GranTurismo platform. You can of course tell this just by looking at the car- the engine is located low and rearward of the front axle(just like the GranTurismo) in the optimal front mid-engined configuration, unlike the old Maserati Coupe which had its engine located over the front axle. This might explain why Green assesed that "through the bends- as with all great cars- you steer by throttle and the seat of your pants". It's interesting to observe that Green, the more experienced journalist, is not influenced by the misinformation that the car is based on the older Maserati underpinnings like his younger colleague.

Having driven the car myself( and relished every moment), I have come to this conclusion: Gavin Green and Phil MacNamara are car enthusiasts who wrote honest and enthusiastic pieces about a magnificent car that marks Alfa’s return in spectacular style. Their young colleagues, to use one of their own words are "trying too hard, screaming for everybody to look at them, the neglected kids at school etc. etc........." To criticise the 8C for being too loud is like criticising Sophia Loren for having a big mouth, to miss the point(and to ignore the fact that the volume of that fabulous roar can be regulated via the Sport button....). Italian supercars have never been for the shy and retiring though.

I'm a car designer and I know other car designers who, surprisingly, are not really car enthusiasts. Having read the Monte Carlo to Modena piece I can only conclude that the same could unfortunately be said of motoring journalists.

Best Regards,
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
thanks Scudetto

half of my problem is that the CAR of my past would have recognised the problems of the fuel crisis (to come) and the current credit crunch - the current editorial team have developed a purile fifth-gear reactionary outlook - it's not even daft enough to be amusing

you can't be funny

so be insightful and witty

and that takes brains
Steve, i think that CAR now has lofty aspirations; it thinks it's now cocktail drinking buddies with the kind of people that buy a Bentley GT for their chalet in France, and use a Maybach day to day; it's lost the 'common touch' in favour of the coffee table.

It's now so up its own butt, that it hurts.

I loved Car for years; to see it become this pompous out of touch magazine hurts.

Another icon collapses

g
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Quote:
i think I am having trouble giving up CAR

they were the first and only mag with "clever" writers who made sense, amusing and informing....and they had the "clout" with designers et al.

hurumph
I felt the same way when I used to read "performance car" (when a certain Mr Clarkson used to write for them) and then it went crap, and then the same happened to "Autocar" and finally "Car". You have done well to last as long as you have.
AO Member

County: -

Another letter I wrote them a couple of years ago that they didn't publish!! .... maybe I should make them shorter......

Dear Sir;

What a cheap parting shot at the Alfa GTV!(CAR, September 2005). “Mega Engines, horrible everything else”, and awarded 1 measly star. From 4 1/2 stars to 1 star in less than a year? Has the GTV really become so bad so fast? The GTV has always been well represented in CAR, so why the sudden change of heart? Indeed, flicking through some older issues of the magazine, I could find only compliments for it:

February 2000:

“The great Alfa renaissance started with these two. Fabulous looks, lovely detailing, great engines and superb handling”.

“Special. The GTV and Spider can inspire something akin to real passion. The front-drive chassis is responsive and assured, aided by the sophisticated rear suspension”.

“New GTV V6 is nectar on wheels, so the GTV’s flaws are easy to forgive”.

“Very good residuals, as you would expect”.

June 2001:

“Fabulous object that deserves more design praise than the Audi TT”.

“The GTV is a fine car”.

“Chattery ride but huge grip”.

“If you want real passion you wont mind”.

“Spider huge fun”.

“Alfa’s mistress, risky but rewarding”.

March 2002:

“An effective substitute for the default choice Audi TT”.

“A total immersion driving experience”.

3 stars awarded.

March 2003:

“Getting old gracefully”.

“Still one hell of a car”.

“Lovely engines make for warbling progress, whether four or six cylinder, and the build quality seems sorted”.

“You still would, wouldn’t you”.

“This is one fine if geriatric sportster”.

3 stars awarded.

May 2004:

“A classic hit”.

4 ½ stars awarded (v6 Spider and GTV).

October 2004:

“New nose, same smiles”.

4 ½ stars awarded (v6 Spider).

I could go on....

It seems to me that all of the above comments are the words of enthusiasts, people that are truly passionate about cars, while “Mega engines, horrible everything else” are the words of a cynical, miserable soundbite-chasing moron. I suppose Car’s opinion of the GTV for the last 10 years just didn’t fall into line with the current “German good- everything else crap” policy of the magazine. How can you as editor justify such inconsistency though?

I get the impression that the British motoring press will do everything in its power to drive Alfa out of Britain. No doubt if Alfa was to go the same way as Lancia you’d all say how unfortunate it was- yet you would be the greatest contributing factor! I’m not saying that Alfa deserves special treatment; I am saying that the base 147s deserves a lot more than 2 stars it gets at the back of your magazine and the GTV deserves a graceful goodbye and not the stab in the back you have given it. The Brera is on the way, after all.

I work in an Italian car design studio. My boss recently asked me what British monthly we should subscribe to. I automatically said Car. Having read the pathetically superficial and willfully negative review of the 159 and then seeing this pointless attack on the (already out of production) GTV I wish now that I hadn’t. With the recent dumbing-down of this once great magazine and its evolution into a sort of motoring equivalent of “Loaded”, there really is only one choice for the enthusiast in search of serious, passionate, balanced motoring journalism: Evo.

Your’s etc.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesi View Post
Another letter I wrote them a couple of years ago that they didn't publish!! .... maybe I should make them shorter......

Dear Sir;

What a cheap parting shot at the Alfa GTV!(CAR, September 2005). “Mega Engines, horrible everything else”, and awarded 1 measly star. From 4 1/2 stars to 1 star in less than a year? Has the GTV really become so bad so fast? The GTV has always been well represented in CAR, so why the sudden change of heart? Indeed, flicking through some older issues of the magazine, I could find only compliments for it:

February 2000:

“The great Alfa renaissance started with these two. Fabulous looks, lovely detailing, great engines and superb handling”.

“Special. The GTV and Spider can inspire something akin to real passion. The front-drive chassis is responsive and assured, aided by the sophisticated rear suspension”.

“New GTV V6 is nectar on wheels, so the GTV’s flaws are easy to forgive”.

“Very good residuals, as you would expect”.

June 2001:

“Fabulous object that deserves more design praise than the Audi TT”.

“The GTV is a fine car”.

“Chattery ride but huge grip”.

“If you want real passion you wont mind”.

“Spider huge fun”.

“Alfa’s mistress, risky but rewarding”.

March 2002:

“An effective substitute for the default choice Audi TT”.

“A total immersion driving experience”.

3 stars awarded.

March 2003:

“Getting old gracefully”.

“Still one hell of a car”.

“Lovely engines make for warbling progress, whether four or six cylinder, and the build quality seems sorted”.

“You still would, wouldn’t you”.

“This is one fine if geriatric sportster”.

3 stars awarded.

May 2004:

“A classic hit”.

4 ½ stars awarded (v6 Spider and GTV).

October 2004:

“New nose, same smiles”.

4 ½ stars awarded (v6 Spider).

I could go on....

It seems to me that all of the above comments are the words of enthusiasts, people that are truly passionate about cars, while “Mega engines, horrible everything else” are the words of a cynical, miserable soundbite-chasing moron. I suppose Car’s opinion of the GTV for the last 10 years just didn’t fall into line with the current “German good- everything else crap” policy of the magazine. How can you as editor justify such inconsistency though?

I get the impression that the British motoring press will do everything in its power to drive Alfa out of Britain. No doubt if Alfa was to go the same way as Lancia you’d all say how unfortunate it was- yet you would be the greatest contributing factor! I’m not saying that Alfa deserves special treatment; I am saying that the base 147s deserves a lot more than 2 stars it gets at the back of your magazine and the GTV deserves a graceful goodbye and not the stab in the back you have given it. The Brera is on the way, after all.

I work in an Italian car design studio. My boss recently asked me what British monthly we should subscribe to. I automatically said Car. Having read the pathetically superficial and willfully negative review of the 159 and then seeing this pointless attack on the (already out of production) GTV I wish now that I hadn’t. With the recent dumbing-down of this once great magazine and its evolution into a sort of motoring equivalent of “Loaded”, there really is only one choice for the enthusiast in search of serious, passionate, balanced motoring journalism: Evo.

Your’s etc.
Alfa and the British motoring press: the more things change, the more they stay the same...

g

Haha! Great letter, no surprise that was never published!
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Wow Alesi - fantastic letters there.
I remember the issue where it, as you said, "stabbed the GTV in the back", ended up me feeling pretty sick and let down. Your assertions are pretty spot on - so I'm not entirely suprised either got published.
(Post Link) post #18 of 42 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Gavin Green has a pop at introducing the new Delta

frankly they gave more attention to the Panther Solo
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Wow Alesi - fantastic letters there.
I remember the issue where it, as you said, "stabbed the GTV in the back", ended up me feeling pretty sick and let down. Your assertions are pretty spot on - so I'm not entirely suprised either got published.
hello bud

g
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Gavin Green has a pop at introducing the new Delta

frankly they gave more attention to the Panther Solo
GG is fair; is the new Delta good? i'd trust GG's judgement.

g
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
hello bud

g

G'Day young man.

When's your new bella arriving?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
G'Day young man.

When's your new bella arriving?
I'm seeing the bringer of gifts this week. Hopefully then we can sort this out.

g
Jed
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Rosso GT

Quote:
I'm seeing the bringer of gifts this week. Hopefully then we can sort this out.

g
Ask the harbinger of merriment to try and arrange these words in the correct order...

Red..........S.................V6................B rera.........Alfa
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Ask the harbinger of merriment to try and arrange these words in the correct order...

Red..........S.................V6................B rera.........Alfa
lol

I'm not sure about the S. Think I'm sticking with the V6 Q4. I like Breras as cruisers, rather than bruisers. Plus I'm not so good at going fast these days, so chilling is better. And a Q4 should do that nicely

g
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
lol

I'm not sure about the S. Think I'm sticking with the V6 Q4. I like Breras as cruisers, rather than bruisers. Plus I'm not so good at going fast these days, so chilling is better. And a Q4 should do that nicely

g
Keeping that 'not so quiet' G

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
car , come out , finally , magazine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page