Spider Power Window Regulator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Pennsylvania
Spider Power Window Regulator

The cable on my 86 Spider Veloce power window regulator broke right where it runs through the winder drum. Replacement regulators complete with motor are available but I like to repair the cheapest way possible and don't really need a new motor. After determining that 1/16" cable, available from most local hardware stores was about the same as OEM cable, I carefully removed the old cable and replaced it with new cable, swedging the ends where they go through the winder drum per original using commercially available cable stops. Unfortunately, I am stuck because I don't know how to properly route the cable and how to take up the slack for proper tension. I could remove my door panel with the good mechanism and duplicate it but hate to disturb that trim panel. I have a repro shop manual from IAP but the detailed window regulator diagram is for a manual regulator and the power regulator diagram doesn't adequately show the routing of the cable or give many hints how to reinstall the regulator. My problem now is figuring out the routing of the new cable. The IAP shop manual diagram appears to have an extra cable run pictured than is not possible with the pulleys available on my 86 (2 upper front & rear & 2 lower at each end of the bottom window track). Then too there is the problem of getting the cable rewound onto the spool so the cable has the proper tension and will not spool off the winder spool when it turns. I'd appreciate it if anyone has a detailed diagram of a Spider power window regulator installation showing all the pulleys and pivot/attachment points and has any tips on how to get the cable rewound and tensioned properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GJ
AO Platinum Member

County: Herefordshire

Member car:

Spider S4

Re: Spider Power Window Regulator

This is the diagram from my manual for a 1990 S4

[Would a Mod please move the thread to the Classics lounge]

Last edited by GJ; 30-10-08 at 22:22.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 22-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks. I have this diagram but it is for the manual window regulator. The power window regulator setup only has two pulleys top and bottom and, of course, the cable is routed around the windlass drum that is operated by the electric motor. It's the routing and particularly the threading around the drum that is a my dilemma.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 23-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Update - I believe I figured out the proper routing for the cable although the diagram in the Alfa shop manual under the power window heading is identical to the diagram shown next under the manual window regulator and has more pulleys than my 86 power window regulator setup. I measured the old OEM cable and cut my new cable to that length but installing the new cable with nothing spooled on the windlass drum results in way too much slack in the cable. Without detailed instructions I reasoned that there must be a prescribed number of prewindings on the spool so that when the cable is routed properly it has the proper tension. What I don't know is how many windings to make and whether those all should be one end or the other or some combination. It seems that the ideal end state would be that neither the upper or lower end of the cable on the drum should ever come to the very end, else over time metal fatigue would result in bending the cable ends where they pass through the holes in the spool causing them to eventually break like mine did when I got into this mess. Does anyone know how many prewinds to make on the spool so as to end up with the proper installation of the regulator cable?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
power , regulator , spider , window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page