going to italy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 16-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 156

Wave going to italy

goiing to italy in august stopping at modena maranello the birth place of ferrari has anyone been there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Re: going to italy

Been twice; went in May this year and May 2006. Stay there, it's worth it.

The BW Hotel Domous us excellent and really reasonable
(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 16-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 156

thanks for that but we are staying with relations in bologna can i get in to the ferrari museum on the day or do i have to pre-book
AO Platinum Member

On the day is fine unless you want a guided tour
PR
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 51

We stayed in the Dormus aswell SR, found it very pleasant. Check the opening times of the museum, it MIGHT close at 1 ish and reopen later on though not sure
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Lucky man

Have fun!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

BMW 325i SE E92

Hi, went last year, brilliant.

Walk to the gates of the factory and then up the road to the rear entrance, this is where the cars come out for testing, never know what you might see.

Enjoy
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire

You should call into the Alfa Museum in Arese (outskirts of Milan) on your way down. It's a fantastic place, well worth a visit seeing as you will be passing that neck of the woods. Pre-booking is a must though.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil_147 View Post
You should call into the Alfa Museum in Arese (outskirts of Milan) on your way down. It's a fantastic place, well worth a visit seeing as you will be passing that neck of the woods. Pre-booking is a must though.
I was just about to suggest the same thing. Went to the Alfa museum about 10 years ago, was great.

Also did the Maranello stuff too. Also a great day out
AO Silver Member

Garage

The museum is good and there are a couple of cheap cafes nearby. However when we came back somebody (can't remember who so probably rubbish)told me that anyone can go and eat in the staff canteen.
Might be worth checking out.
AO Platinum Member

Go to Arese while you can. The plant is rapidly becoming derelict around it
AO Silver Member

County: -

If you are going to Maranello make time to detour on the way down and stop off in Mantua (Mantova) and visit the Tazio Nuvolari Museum

TAZIO NUVOLARI

Mantova is a beautiful town too....
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil_147 View Post
Yes it's best to pre-book. We chanced it and just turned up one day; had to wait about an hour but then luckily they let us in... an absolutely mouth watering display of cars there and we were the only ones there. No one followed us round, we were completely left to get on with it. Absolutely superb and highly recommended.

Haven't been to the Modena yet, hopefully next year.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A big black car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Teufel View Post
If you are going to Maranello make time to detour on the way down and stop off in Mantua (Mantova) and visit the Tazio Nuvolari Museum

TAZIO NUVOLARI

Mantova is a beautiful town too....
Have to agree with this, Montova is beautiful.

It seems to be surrounded by water on three sides and the town centre is beautiful. Quite quiet too for an Italian town. However, parking is even worse than most places. Bologna is very nice too.
GTS
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS SELESPEED

All that has been posted before is good advice, but may I also add that if you continue down the road the museum is on, away from the factory gates, you come to an area where you can see the Fiorano track. I was there a couple of years ago and they were testing grand prix cars, God the noise was just beautiful !!

Someone has already mentioned Bologna which is just plain beautiful ( like Florence with less people), I would also recommend Modena which is also lovely, and you can go and see the Maserati factory and maybe find Scaglietti.

Also the mountain roads south of Maranello are fine driving roads and well worth a blast around, and who knows what you might find testing.

Finally betwen Modena and Bologna ( north of the main roads) is Saint Agata where the Lamboghini factory is located, they were rebuilding ( building ?) the museum the last time I was there. Although now they are owned by VAG it has probably been replaced by an Audi garage or something horrible.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Finally betwen Modena and Bologna ( north of the main roads) is Saint Agata where the Lamboghini factory is located, they were rebuilding ( building ?) the museum the last time I was there. Although now they are owned by VAG it has probably been replaced by an Audi garage or something horrible.
The Lambo factory is definitely worth a visit, the museum is at the front and we took it upon ourselves to continue wandering around the front of the factory and nobody tried to stop us. We saw a Miura being driven round for a german TV crew to pick up and one of the 4x4 things they did in the early 90's (LM002 maybe??).

Otherwise, as has been mentioned you should go to Modena too (we actually stayed there) to see the Maserati factory although they wouldn't even let us through the gate to look through the showroom window!! Enzo Ferrari's birthplace is just down the road and there are plans to turn this into a museum but I don't think it'll be done yet.

It is also worth looking up the Pagani factory and the old Bugatti factory which is just a derelict building now but it was one of my favourite places we went to(it was just cool!!). Also check up to see if there are any events/shows/rallys on while you are there.

Enjoy the food too!! You'll have a great time...

Hehe your a lucky git aren't you? Wish I could afford to go there.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoni View Post
goiing to italy in august stopping at modena maranello the birth place of ferrari has anyone been there?
I have great place You have to go to the Ferrari muesum it reeks of Italian And you will never tire of the Ferraris flying about the place And the sound of them and the size of the factory is such a small town. I can't wait to go back again in Spetember

AO Member

County: Bayern

Member car:

159 1750 TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Freddie View Post
Yes it's best to pre-book. We chanced it and just turned up one day; had to wait about an hour but then luckily they let us in... an absolutely mouth watering display of cars there and we were the only ones there. No one followed us round, we were completely left to get on with it. Absolutely superb and highly recommended.
. . .
Can it be that you had to wait because of lunch-break (12:30 - 2:30)? I was there a good week ago (on a Wednesday) and had no problems at all without pre-booking. I thought the advice to pre-book was meant for larger groups.

(BTW: If you come on the motorway from Milan: till the exit nearest to the museum the motorway is toll-free, but this exit isn't "there" at the moment because of construction work! Should be no problem I guess, but there I had to get through the first toll-station of my life, so I was a bit nervous. )
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
On the day is fine unless you want a guided tour

The guided tour is well worth the money. I'm not a Ferrari man, however I did enjoy visiting the galleria. Having said that it is primarily a commercial operation, where as Arese is a mecca to Alfa Romeo pure and simple!
AO Platinum Member

We did all the factories etc. back in 2006, including some small but excellent museums, one at the back of a Fiat dealer in Modena

Went to Galleria Ferrari last month. It was no where near as good as it was in '06 and the tours are now contracted out
mikebrown

have a good trip....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
italy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page