Hello - problems with Alfaworkshop in Royston - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

Closed Thread

(Post Link) post #1 of 64 Old 11-06-08 Thread Starter

Hello - problems with Alfaworkshop in Royston

Hi, i have just purchased a 147 selespeed and needed to get it serviced. Thought the alfa workshop looked ideal but they failed to spot some major issues and so i was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with them and thoughts on whether i should complain to them (i was still not happy with the car after the service so took it to a local Alfa Romeo dealership service department where they identified several problems).

I asked the guys at alfa workshop to have a look over the car for me which they did but failed to spot a large oil leak and that i needed a new timing cover, gearbox case and handbrake cable. I would have thought a thorough service would have found the oil leak and problem with handbrake cable at least.

I was unimpressed with the service and wondered if anyone else has had any bad experiences.

thanks

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Essex
Re: Hello - problems with Alfaworkshop in Royston

Hello and Welcome to the forum.
AO Member

Member car:

1975 Alfetta GT

I've been using the Alfa Workshop in Royston for the past ten years. They have delivered honest, friendly service to me, and have never suggested replacing uneeded parts. Perhaps it was a simple misunderstanding on how detailed an inspection you wanted - I'd give them a call, see what they say. I'm sure they don't want to loose any customers.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Hello and welcome
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage

Hi Chris enjoy the site.
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo

Moved to General Alfa Discussion
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

TUT Re: Hello - problems with Alfaworkshop in Royston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintck28 View Post
Hi, i have just purchased a 147 selespeed and needed to get it serviced. Thought the alfa workshop looked ideal but they failed to spot some major issues and so i was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with them and thoughts on whether i should complain to them (i was still not happy with the car after the service so took it to a local Alfa Romeo dealership service department where they identified several problems).
I asked the guys at alfa workshop to have a look over the car for me which they did but failed to spot a large oil leak and that i needed a new timing cover, gearbox case and handbrake cable. I would have thought a thorough service would have found the oil leak and problem with handbrake cable at least.
I was unimpressed with the service and wondered if anyone else has had any bad experiences.
thanks
chris
Chris IMO you should have to spoken to them first before posting this here !!
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Yes quite right. Have you tried to resove this before posting here? Mistakes do get made by anyone, we are all human, it's how issues are rectified that counts. The Alfaworkshop has an excellent reputation, I suggest you contact them with your issue and put that to the test.
Rayq81

Does Royston Vasey have an Alfa Garage

AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
Completely agree... If you check their site, there's details of what is included in each service. Perhaps if you just asked for a basic service the handbrake etc was not included? FYI The handbrake in both of my GTV's is not great, not dangerous but not reliable on a hill!

Anyway, anyone can make mistakes, but in my experience Alfa Workshop have always been as thorough and careful as you could hope for. I think if you get in touch with Jamie, he'll be very keen to resolve things with you.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I've used them before and found them excellent. Bit of a drive for me though.

Have you spoken to Jamie about your problems

Not everyone gets it right all of the time

Good luck and please keep us in the loop
AO Member

Chris, Give us a ring and we will willingly sort out your problems, we try very hard to sort out peoples problems and we do make **** ups, as everyone does, but you do need to tell us if you have an issue for us to do anything about it.
Look forward to hearing from you soon
Jamie

Last edited by jamiealfa; 13-06-08 at 11:38.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Thumbs Up Re: Hello - problems with Alfaworkshop in Royston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiealfa View Post
Chris, Give us a ring and we will willingly sort out your problems, we try very hard to sort out peoples problems and we do make **** ups, as everyone does, but you do need to tell us if you have an issue for us to do anything about it.
Look forward to hearing from you soon
Jamie
There you go Thanks Jamie

How about getting your ID confirmed on here Go on, contact Ian (Alfaowner). You know you want to

Cheers fella,

Simon
AO Silver Member

I've been using them for 3 years now (ever since being recommended to them on this forum), and IMHO they're an excellent combination of quality, value and honesty. Which coming from someone thinks everyone in the motor trade is the devil incarnate, is praise indeed. He won't spend your money on doing stuff that he doesn't really think is necessary in his long experience. They're very generous with info their website too, they even have a handy page that might be useful on this topic How to get the best out of your Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
How about getting your ID confirmed on here Go on, contact Ian (Alfaowner).
On mentioning that, it does sounds awfully similar to that proven clumsy dealer orchestrated anti-Autolusso campaign: first post, trying to trash the reputation of a well known indie, using the forum for initial complaint, problems miraculously found and fixed by official dealer, no response......mmmm gets fishyier the more I think about it

I doubt Ian or Jamie will every hear from him.
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

ex 147 GTA

I had my 147 GTA serviced at Alfaworkshop last Friday and have no problems at all with the service! Jamie was really helpful on the phone beforehand RE: a slight noise on start-up, and everyone else I dealt with whilst there were very helpful too.

I was even given a GTV for the day!!

Overall really impressed with the price, knowledge (my squeaky brake), and help.

The only problem I had, and it's my own fault for being so anal about cleaning and not mentioning it before I left the car, was that it was given a complimentary wash by the fella outside! My friends and family find it hilarious that was the only thing that bothered me

I thoroughly recommend Alfaworkshop!
Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

God knows how many times I have said it but they are very very good.
Jamie knows all there is to know about alfas - my sele was in a little while ago as it was stuck in neutral. They had it fixed within about 2 hours of the car arriving. They were totally honest with me and I was more than happy with the service I received. I would always recommend them. When my sele went in for a cambet service my GFs car died when we got there (Seat Ibiza) Jamie still did everything he could to help us and managed to get us in at another garage around the corner who repaired her motor and Jamie gave us a 156 to use - so knowledgeable and a nice helpful guy to boot, so gets my vote!

GTV TS - R.I.P 156 V6 - R.I.P GTV V6 - R.I.P 147 Selespeed - Who knows
147 GTA - Gone but never forgotten Brera nice while it lasted
AlfaLincs

If the OP has only just bought the car and it has all these issues then he should return it to where he bought it from if a dealer. If a private purchase its more difficult, but I'd have thought a cracked gearbox case would almost certainly have been a known issue by a previous Private owner and they could easily be liable for it.

I too was a little uneasy about the post, given that it was not clear whether the OP had actually spoken to Jamie P about the problems.

AlfaLincs

Admin Team

County: Hertfordshire

Maybe the subject title should be changed?
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

You should also consider the main dealer could well have been trying to sell you things you didn't need - what did they say was wrong with the gearbox housing for example?
AO Gold Member

Jeezuz what a flaming - how dare someone suggest a workshop has made a mistake
AO Member

Never been known! what really gets my goat though is how it got out through the door, that is the real issue.
JP
Ferryman_1957

No issue with people posting if they have problems with a place but also it's right that people that have had good service also post and suggest ways to resolve the problem. I've had excellent service from the Alfa Workshop when I've used them and would highly recommend them. As we've seen from Jamie's posts he appears keen to sort this out, so Chris, I suggest you do get in touch with them.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiealfa View Post
Never been known! what really gets my goat though is how it got out through the door, that is the real issue.
JP

Good man.

If an issue happened, then some things slip through the net, even with the best intentions, staff, supervision and training.

Main dealers do love changing handbrake cables on these though as soon as the outers look a bit iffy.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintck28 View Post
(i was still not happy with the car after the service so took it to a local Alfa Romeo dealership service department where they identified several problems).
A word of warning, when I bought my first 147 I took it to a dealer to have it inspected, they came back saying it needed nearly £2000 of work doing. 2 years later none of what they said had been replaced as I'd found myself a good reliable indie who didn;t feed me bull.

Alfa Workshop do have a VERY good reputation and I'd say that what has happened could very well been a mistake and you should give them the opportunity to put it right.

Communication is the name of the game
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayq81 View Post
Does Royston Vasey have an Alfa Garage
Yes, but it's for local people! Had my last service done there and it only cost me twelvety pounds. They threw in some 'special sausages' too which tasted amazing!

Closed Thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfaworkshop , problems , royston

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page