Fading Paint - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 09-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK

Member car:

147 JTDm 16v Q2

Fading Paint

I have a 147 Q2 in red. It looks gorgeous, but the dealer who supplied it told me that red had a tendency to fade. At the time he was trying to flog me some kind of paint protection system (which I did not buy) so Iím not sure if it is a genuine problem or if it was just sales talk.

If the paint does fade, is there anything I can do to stop the fading? Are there any particular polishes which protect against fading? I currently use Autoglym, but have heard good things about Maguiars (sp?). The car is not garaged by the way.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Fading Paint

Buy a good quality car cover and polish more i had a company car and my main car sat for weeks on end in the oz sun ,polish is like hand cream if you don't use it you will crack up just like your paint
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

I bought a 3 year old Alfa Red 145 Cloverleaf 8 years ago. The car was washed twice a week with Zip Wax in the water, and was regularly Autoglymed - its still faded Once its faded there is nothing you can do to remedy it, apart from re-spray it.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

I've has Red cars for ages and my advice is don't worry as long as you care for it.

The only issue is the plastic parts look slightly different from the metal after some time.

A good UV resistant polish will help & something like colour magic is really good for older cars.

Nowt looks better than a clean Red car IMHO
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
I

Nothing ?

Could I make a few lewd suggestions ?

I do agree though, I like red Alfas, although I now have a green one, does look nice but would have preferred red. Unfortunately however when you're in the older end of the car market as I am the actual condition of the car has to take priority over the colour.
Nev

Only way to be sure it doesn't fade is to
put it in a garage.

AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

My mate is a valeter and he can do the paint and interior trim protection for £100 which is probably £300 cheaper than your dealer quoted.

Find a local valeter and get a quote.

AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

159Ti

There must be a vast difference in the 'red' paint make up of different manufacturers. Have seen some dreadful 'pink' faded red cars, especially the plastic bumpers etc.
Red does appear to be the colour that is affected by sunlight most. How do they get on in sunny europe?

My other half has a red Golf (she's looking for a GTV, good girl ) and the paint is still very good. I clean it regularly, but shamefully it doesn't get waxed as often as it should. The colour is still bright Tornado (how cool is that name) Red. It's kept outside, in all weathers and is now nearly 7 years old.

I had a classic mini for more than 7 years in red but it was a tad cosseted. Lived in a garage, under a cover and was regularly polished to within an inch of it's life. When I did decide to sell it, the paintwork was probably in a better state than when it left the factory.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
How about a clean black car?
AO Gold Member

If you are worried, use Zaino Z2, ZFX and Z6, its factor 40.

But any old polish will keep it OK, none of the lacquered Rosso cars have faded to any extent unless badly abused, i.e washed in baking sun and left to dry whils never getting waxed/polished/sealed.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

What Nev said, is the sure fire way to keep it Red! Proof? Come and see our six year old Rosso Red beauty.: Mind you, I have used the red Colour 'Magic'ey' Type polishes, for what that's worth, ok, on top of the clear lacquer??? Anyway, she is still pretty and Red, but red was always known as a 'bleeding' colour, in the trade, as were the oranges that were about. For technical details check out Parsons, International Pinching Johnsons, ICI, Glasso, Etc. Etc. or the modern titled variants that I'm not aware of, being ancient!! The pigment is the problem that applies to all red finishes, although metallic and so on variants are possibly more stable??:
AO Gold Member

Many thanks to Zulu Ferret for naming every deceased paint supplier on the planet!

Nowadays try:

PPG
Du Pont/Spiess Hecker/Max Meyer
Glasurit
AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

I think Alfa reckon they have now cured the fading problem in the red paint and that's why it is now a cost option on their cars. Time will tell I suppose.
AO Silver Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Freddie View Post
I think Alfa reckon they have now cured the fading problem in the red paint and that's why it is now a cost option on their cars. Time will tell I suppose.
This was certainly my understanding of the reason behind the option cost of ALFA Red paint.

Don't worry.....once the bonnet stone chips merge into a nice white primer haze due to the soft paint you'll not be thinking about fading.

Oh and mine is garaged every night and it'll be changed for something else in two years time in any case. You gotta love salesman's link sales tactics though.
AO Gold Member

My 2003 car wasnt a cost option for red and having seen it recently it hasnt faded at all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
fading , paint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page