Alfa LPG conversion ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 07-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Fermanagh

Member car:

Alfa 166 T.S.

Alfa LPG conversion ?

I don't know about you, but I am not happy with this ere petrol taxation lark... Has anyone got any info or experience of LPG kits on Alfas ? I am looking to install on a 166 TS...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: Alfa LPG conversion ?

Moved to General Alfa Discussion
AO Platinum Member

I looked into it. You can get a tank that goes in the boot or in the wheel well (the boot tank is obviously the bigger of the two) and all the doo-dahs under the bonnet and plumbing to feed the gas into the inlets etc.

There's a switch in the cab to turn it on, and a gas level gauge to tell you when you're running out.

Gas gives you more or less the same performance but slightly less mpg than petrol.. hardly serious when it's half the price.

You have to start the car on petrol, as gas won't combust enough to start a cold engine and apart from that, you need petrol in the tank to lube the fuel pump as that's obviously always running, even though you're not using the petrol.

Cost depends on how many pots you have and which tank you go for.. but budget circa £1500... You really need to do the miles or have a gas guzzler for the LPG conversion to pay for itself inside 2 years.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member

County: Isle of Wight

Member car:

hmmmm...

What does LPG do to the "value" of the car? does it add it? or is it like having leather interior? reason i ask, is there is one on fleabay that i'm interested in....its a 3.0 so the conversion would save a packet on fuel.....but is it better to get a car with more miles on the clock and a bigger engine with LPG or to fit it yourself?
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Is it really worth the hassle ? If just a few more people take up the LPG option watch the gas price soar as our money grabbing government will increase the tax on it. Remember how diesel started off not too many years ago ?
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

156 V6

it is if you have a 2.5 V6 lol.
im looking into this also.
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfarmer View Post
What does LPG do to the "value" of the car?
Personally I wouldn't touch one that'd
be done over here with a 20 foot pole.

AO Member

Member car:

156 Sportwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Is it really worth the hassle ? If just a few more people take up the LPG option watch the gas price soar as our money grabbing government will increase the tax on it. Remember how diesel started off not too many years ago ?
Very true. Only a few years ago diesel was MUCH cheaper than petrol.
AO Platinum Member

I wouldn't pay a lot more for a gas-converted car.. but if you want it then it ought to make the converted car more valuable.

But I'd want to know who installed it, as there are probably good and less good installation firms out there, plus I need to know who to bring it to if there is a problem.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

hmmmm...

So i'm getting the feeling that, if you want Gas, have it converted yourself so you know who did it etc.
My Dad has had a Gas Jeep (and that was gutless) and now he has a gas Discovery, thats not so gutless but then it does have a 4.8 V8....I just don't want to lose power or engine noise....
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

A friend had his 2.8 Granada converted a few years ago and had nothing but trouble with it, never worked properly. Cost him about £1500.00 but in the end he had to sell it as he was using it for Private Hire and the thing was far too unreliable.

Lot's of problems and a hefty loss of cash too.

I'm not saying that this is typical, just reporting truthfully what happened, and this conversion was done by a " professional " company, shudder ( probably more than the car would ) if it had been a back street bodge job.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

hmmmm...

Cheers Nige, it is always good to have a negative story on this type of subject, as the "Cheap fuel" idea tends to make the rest not important....
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigfarmer View Post
Cheers Nige, it is always good to have a negative story on this type of subject, as the "Cheap fuel" idea tends to make the rest not important....
Very true, you have to look at things carefully and think it through and of course a Post on here to get opinions is a good start. At the end of the day though you pays your money.............

For instance I'm still undecided about Powerflexing although most people think it's the way to go !

Cheers.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige005 View Post
Is it really worth the hassle ?
depends on how many miles you do. the price of lpg will soar in 2011, but until then the govt has pledged to freeze lpg tax (trying to get more ppl to use it). if you can do 40k between now and then it could pay for itself. then you'll have a worthless car that you cant sell.
AO Silver Member

County: -

I thought you needed to replace the head when converting it to LPG? I thought it wore them away? Just something i heard a few years back.
AO Member

County: Herts
I just completed 10k miles in a 166 v6 3.0 with LPG. Great car and it had the conversion in the 1st year of its life.
The car completed 170k on LPG before a taxi damaged it and I decided to scrap it.
I would highly recommend LPG, but it pays to use a proper garage for the conversion and buy a premium kit. Mine had a BRC kit,which incidentally is Italian and if you goto their website they show an Alfa being converted.
You will always find horror stories about anything if you just search enough, but if done properly LPG is fantastic.
If any of you was frightened of all those horror storied out theer then what made you buy an Alfa???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC GTV 3.0 V6, Spider 105 S3 2.0 injection and Alfetta GTV 2.0
AO Member

County: Herts
2009 Alfa Romeo MiTo Imola - Click for complete gallery

Alongside the recently-launched MultiAir MiTos, Alfa Romeo has launched a dual-fueled LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) version of the Turbo 1.4-liter engine in the sexy hatchback. This model benefits from tax exemptions in many European countries, since it reduces CO2 emissions down to 131 g/km. The engine retains the standard 120 hp and still makes 0 to 100 km/h (62mph) in 8.8 seconds. The 39-liter LPG reservoir is placed in the spare tire well and, together with the standard gasoline tank, allows the dual-fuel MiTo to run for 1,200 km (745 miles) non-stop. Prices start at €13,900 in Italy, thanks to €4,500 from the state.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , conversion , lpg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page