ALFA Haters - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
General Alfa Discussion Strictly Alfa Romeo talk only!

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 01-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
ALFA Haters

Stumbled upon this today

Click here

It seems to me that alot of people really dislike alfas.

According to the reviews in the car survey website about 95% of the reviews are very good. Better than bmw and ford.

My Cousin (BMW 316 owner) hates them, but i donít care still going to buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Re: ALFA Haters

There can't be no Ying without a Yang

levitation.gif
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 GTA

Really, who cares what they think. I too was a critic of the Italian mark until I drove a 33 1.7 cloverleaf in my friends car yard. I was bitten by the alfa bug and in an instant I understood what all my alfa mate had tried ti get thorugh to me all those years. I bought that car on the spot and I have since bought another four Alfas, of which I still own three, and I still regret selling the other two .

We buy Alfas because of the way they makes us feel when we drive them. Alfa got it right with one of their marketing campains recently when they said "Mediocraty is a sin". Besides, an Alfa will only be as reliable as you want it to be. Be in tune with your car and service it regularly and I doubt you will have many problems .
AO Member

Through all the pain and frustration I wouldn't own anything different, you should read all the stuff I've had to go through in the last 6 or so months, hasn't put me off being an Alfa Owner, infact its made me feel even stronger to prove people wrong that these cars don't all go wrong.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire

So, a thread that's 4 years old on a forum for cable geeks. Not exactly representative is it?

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Most of them on there probably wouldn't be able to tell a ring spanner from a ring piece. What would they know about it? I bet they havene't even owned one.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Most of them on there probably wouldn't be able to tell a ring spanner from a ring piece.

As stated - 4 years old, small and non-focus response group, no evidence of ownership knowledge.

You should do more research and you'll get honest feedback going through AO. We know the highs and the lows.
VO2Max

They're happy in their ignorance...long may it continue...

AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

means Sweet FA really............. It's all second hand (at best) 'knowledge' they are passing on...........
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

All helps keep the exclusivity, which can't be a bad thing!
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 02-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

I agree with all the comments, people should not judge a car until they have owned one.

With everyone in my family telling me don’t go for it.....am i going to listen....Definitely not.

You never know i may pass the Alfa bug to them.

My other cousin is driving a vectra and in the last 2 months he has had his alternator changed, various electrical problems, shock absorbers, ex manifold gasket changed and now has over heating problems

Its a bit like owning a TVR i'd imagine. Everybody knows they can be unreliable and break down, but hardly anyone would turn down the chance to drive one! If you want amazing reliability then buy a Toyota Corolla. Bigfoot is right-You can't have joy without knowing pain!
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 02-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

All sports cars cost money to maintain them, and all cars suffer from problems.

My Focus is supposed to be very reliable, but have had numerious parts replaced over the past year. The focus has cost me a fortune to keep running
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

It's funny how people conveniently overlook breakdowns and replacement costs for other marques yet instantly gush about how unreliable Alfas are if someone mentions one needing the washer bottle refilling!
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

I keep an old evian bottle with a little nozzle and no bottom in my boot spoecifically for topping up the washer bottle
AlfaLincs

Going back to the late 70s I went along with all the perceived 'reliability problems' of Alfas. Its true they rusted summat rotten in those days. Then a friend who was totally a non petrol head bought a 1.8 transaxle Guilietta second hand. I confess I tactfully tried to suggest he should not expect much from it in the way of reliability, but in fact it proved to be a worthy servant and he has always spoken well of it. He never bought another Alfa though.

I decided to test drive an Alfa 75 after reading good reviews in CAR magazine in 1989. Their review was spot on and I've never looked back.

AlfaHaters are like any other haters really. Not worth trying to communicate with, I even quite admire some BMWs, but they are just not my cup of tea. I might buy one one day just to see

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Thing is, Alfa's had a reputation for rusting and being unreliable in the 1970's, but all cars rusted back then as technology in rust prevention was not good, and some italian cars has cheap russian steel in them.
I know Italian cars seemed pretty bad for rust, but BL and Ford cars were not far behind. (Or so my dad says )

Reliability in cars has also come a long way, no points to adjust every 2000 miles and oil changes every 3000 etc.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 TS Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Thing is, Alfa's had a reputation for rusting and being unreliable in the 1970's, but all cars rusted back then as technology in rust prevention was not good, and some italian cars has cheap russian steel in them.
I know Italian cars seemed pretty bad for rust, but BL and Ford cars were not far behind. (Or so my dad says )

Reliability in cars has also come a long way, no points to adjust every 2000 miles and oil changes every 3000 etc.

Absolutely spot on I'd say.
MOST manufacturers had problems of one sort or another, be it reliability or corosion.

Generally things have come along in leaps and bounds... Just look at the likes of Skoda (just one example).

Going back to "That" forum thread...

The guy second from bottom even mentions that Alfa Clutches were un-reliable!!!

I've always been led to believe that clutches were one of the "Italians" stronger points.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

I think the problem with alfas is that the dealers suck bad... I mean here locally they don't even advertise! Where as you see adverts of all cars in magazines tvs or street signs... The problem here is that we have only ONE dealer for the alfas and he sucks. He also has Fiats, lancias and i think 1 more italian brand thats slipping my mind.

I heard that UK dealer network is also bad but dunno for fact
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 GTA

Preventative maintenance is the reason QANTAS is the safest airline in the world. Take a leaf from their book and you'll find with regular maintance your alfa will experience very few problems.
I take my Alfas to Brian Foley Automotive in Sydney and for all you Sydneysiders I can recommend their services. I also change my oils every 5000klms and not 10000klms as recommended. It might seem excessive but its only oil and for the sake of an oil change I have peace of mind between services
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Speaking of Quaintass.......

Sorry about that, back to topic then.

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attac...1&d=1212490122

Last edited by Nige005; 11-07-08 at 10:50.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > General Alfa Discussion

Tags
alfa , haters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page